PDA

View Full Version : Outboard hp for yalta craft

Joshhill91
09-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey guys, I own a yalta craft odessa 189 half cabin. Currently has a 115 hp Johnson on it. Looking at an 80 hp Yamaha 2004 four stroke. I know this is borderline underpowered as I think hull rating may be 90-150hp. What are your thoughts?

Jarrah Jack
09-01-2013, 06:00 PM
One factor to consider is resale. An underpowered boat can sit for a long time in the classifieds as I've noticed recently. If you want to keep the boat then its up to you and how you wish to use it. Bar work or heavily laden trips would be much more difficult.

four_button_arnie
10-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Mate the more th merrier I reakon! Smaller motor will have to work harder therefore more fuel consumption, better off with a larger motor not working hard. 80 would be way too small IMO
Josh

Grim Reefer 750
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Josh - Better to have too much HP and not need it, then to need it and not have it. Been there years ago , wont be going back.

Cheers Don.

Triple
10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Father in law has the same boat with a 140 Suzi four stroke and it seems a good match for the hull. Motor is not over worked and still plenty of grunt when needed or loaded up with a few blokes, fuel and esky full of food (but not many fish!) your budget might determine your outcome but aim for max up rating or close to it if you can.. As others stated, no one says they are sorry for putting on too many ponies, they only whinge when they don't have enough!