PDA

View Full Version : Formosa or sea rod

copie
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi just wondering if anyone has a formosa or a sea rod by formosa in 480 or 520 any info or reports welcome.

Mark

Mrs Ronnie H
08-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi Mark
We have a 520 Formosa and love it. What specifically do you want to know.

Mrs H

copie
08-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi Mark
We have a 520 Formosa and love it. What specifically do you want to know.

Mrs H

Well i have made a decision to down size and looking around at tinnies around the 5 meter size. I think i would like a side console and after seeing the formosa boats it appears to me they are good quality and value for money. I guess like everything we do boating and fishing we always ask if anyone knows of any issues or on the other hand those who may own one can offer some quality advise on their purchase. I am brisbane based and currently dish moreton bay inside and out off moolooaba and hervey bay. The kids are now older and dont always want to come fishing with us and i am a bit particular where i put my now fibre glass boat in the water not wanting to mark or scratch it.
I saw your boat on the formosa site what engine do you run and how does it perform, oh and how is the ride.

Mark

leonp88
10-01-2013, 09:14 AM
I also have a 520 centre console with a 90HP E-Tec. I have been impressed from the get-go (value for money) - feel free to shoot me a PM with some questions!

Mrs Ronnie H
10-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi Mark

We have a 90hp suzuki and runs exceptionally well. Of course you are not going to get the most comfy ride compared to a fibreglass but it is good. You don't get those belting thuds and shocks like you do in some tinnies. My brother owns a 5.5 centre consol and we regularly do overnighters to the banks. His boat handles great in slop but as with any boat you need to know the limits. Our boat rides different to brothers but it is a runabout. Alot of people say they porpoise but we have not had any issues. I suppose it depends on your trim etc as to how your boat performs in different conditions.
I have no hesitation in recommending Formosa or the service from Duncan and the crew. They are more than helpful and if there is anything you want specifically fitted to the boat then talk to Duncan and i am sure he will advise. he was great with our build from start to finish.

If you're up this way and would like a look you are more than welcome.

Mrs H

copie
10-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi Mark

We have a 90hp suzuki and runs exceptionally well. Of course you are not going to get the most comfy ride compared to a fibreglass but it is good. You don't get those belting thuds and shocks like you do in some tinnies. My brother owns a 5.5 centre consol and we regularly do overnighters to the banks. His boat handles great in slop but as with any boat you need to know the limits. Our boat rides different to brothers but it is a runabout. Alot of people say they porpoise but we have not had any issues. I suppose it depends on your trim etc as to how your boat performs in different conditions.
I have no hesitation in recommending Formosa or the service from Duncan and the crew. They are more than helpful and if there is anything you want specifically fitted to the boat then talk to Duncan and i am sure he will advise. he was great with our build from start to finish.

If you're up this way and would like a look you are more than welcome.

Mrs H
What dealer did you go through and can you give any idea on boat speeds with the 90 suzuki.

Mark

Mrs Ronnie H
10-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi Mark

We went to Coastal marine but unfortunately they are not Formosa dealers any longer. Give Duncan a direct call at Formosa and he will point you in the right direction.

I don't take much notice of speeds but it flies along and can say that the motor is more than adequate for the size boat. Think if you went to a 115 it would be overkill for the size boat.

Mrs H

leonp88
11-01-2013, 06:45 AM
The E-Tec lets the Formosa cruise at 25kts at about 4500rpm, W.O.T @ 32kts @ 5200rpm.

As Mrs H mentions, the hull handles chop very well for the size, in fact sometimes better if you maintain cruising speed and bash through it. Mine is a centre console so am normally standing up whilst driving. Depends on sea conditions, but I normally end up running the motor trimmed out nearly half way on the gauge for best comfort through chop and less violent in following seas.

Mine is a pressed hull version (2004) and you do notice it's a bit lighter than a plate boat. Possibly easier to manouvre I guess, but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit extra weight. I haven't driven one, but I'd suggest looking at the plate versions.

Mine with a 2006 90HP E-Tec with just under 400 hrs, ski pole, dual batteries, T-top etc was $16,000 FYI. I looked around for a few months before buying it and couldn't go past it for value for money.

Cheers
Leon