PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramps in Ballina

Crocodile
07-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Hello All,
I will be using my boat in Ballina next week.
I have previously used the ramp in North Creek Canal near the trawler boat harbour.
Good ramp but the local kids climb all over the trailer and boat when you launch and retrieve.
Is there another ramp suitable for a 14 footer nearby?
The ramp in North Creek is only usable at high tide.
Last time I looked at the sailing club ramp it was too sandy(2WD towing car).
Any local knowledge would be welcome.

thelump
07-01-2013, 09:56 PM
.28° 52.249' S 153° 31.846' E

Put these in google earth

Lancair
08-01-2013, 06:36 AM
I only use the one in the canal with my boat now, never had local kids climbing on my trailer or boat whilst launching or retrieving ?
There are 3 other ramps you havent mentioned, one at the end of Brunswick St and one at the end of Riverside Dr, but both are into the river directly and neither have much room around the ramp. There's another ramp in Emigrant Ck, just passed the caravan park in west Ballina but only suitable for shallow draft boats and again not a lot of room around the ramp for loading people etc.
North creek is good, sandy either side of the ramp but there used to be a drop off on the eastern edge of the ramp, I havent used it in over two years so . . . but it was usuable in all but dead low tide. There's also a drop off at the ramp in Fishery Ck (what you called north ck canal ramp) that traps people at dead low tide, use the northern edge at dead low tides.

Andrew