PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Recreational Anglers.. 2013

Lucky_Phill
07-01-2013, 04:13 PM
To all the recreational anglers in Qld that visit this thread, I invite you to post up some comments.

No politics, but:-

We need to look at the " priorities " in the recreational fishing industry here in Qld. What do you see as " important " as far as your fishing experiences go.

Tell me what you think needs doing. Things that can be researched for better management plans to be made. To provide a better fishery.

Whether you are a Whiting fisho, Bream, Snapper, Luderick, Jew, Flathead, Pearlies, Macks etc...... what do you see as an important piece of research that can be done to improve your activity ?

General comments are welcome as well as specific ones.

Thanks guys..............

jaymart
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I would like to see more reserch done to see what damage the misquito spraying programs of the mangroves and mud flats by the local councils has on the marine enviorement as I fail to see how you can take a link out off the food chain and expect it to thrive.
Martin

charleville
07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
For my fishing experiences to be improved...

1. I actually don't have a problem with having the current quantum of green zones in Moreton Bay because I reckon that as living standards have improved and technology has advanced, pretty well anyone can equip themselves with the boat and technology to go anywhere in the Bay and catch fish. We are now seeing huge numbers of boats trying to fish the few known spots. Accordingly, I don't think that it is unreasonable to have areas set aside to allow fish stocks to recover. My issue with the green zones is being able to identify them without having to buy an expensive chart plotter to accurately locate the green zones.

In particular, that big rectangular green zone in the middle of the Bay has been charted by someone who has never navigated a small boat. Viz, for Green Zones to be easily identifiable, they need to be identifiable on the water without high technology. ie by lining up a couple of beacons or buoys or landmarks or whatever, not by simply drawing a rectangle in the middle of a chart of the Bay.

So my wish list would include a redefinition of green zones to make them easily identifiable utilising natural landmarks or beacons etc.

2. We gotta have more artificial reefs in Moreton bay. Just gotta!

3. Surely the time has come for someone in government to force the issue of amalgamating the Coastguards with the VMRs. What we have now is a damn nuisance.

QuinTin
07-01-2013, 07:27 PM
all good here fishing i don't care how much i catch these days long as i get on the water from time to time
just being in boat these days is a good day out to me green zones great all for it does not mean i agree with it but time will tell i guess lest they trying in Moreton Bay maybe but have to stop trawling in it to make a big difference as i have work on them and know what goes on here but yes it is a blokes bread & butter i understand.thats my main thing alot of under size stuff is caught in nets and is crushed to death just from weight/pressure in nets its disgusting so a lot less trawlers would give this part of Qld A better chance more so than a green zone where trawler don't trawl anyway but what do i know i am not in to politics

BigE
07-01-2013, 07:54 PM
A bio mass target. or a sustainability number.
What do i mean ? you ask. Well my scorn of all current reseach is because no matter what the so called reseachers come up with in the way of data it will result in
A: a reduction in what I can catch.
B: a reduction in where I can fish.
C: cost me money to comply with.

Well old mate I just aint keen on any of them outcomes or the wankers tellin me how the end is nigh and I must save world my taking it sweetly and quitely in the rear.

You want a research idea or agenda, tell me the number !!!! or the point at which i can:
A: I can catch and keep more fish
B: Fish in more areas.
C: Make it cheaper to go fishing.

If it doesn't do one of these 3 things then it aint worth much to me.

Those smarty climate change scientists might be able to all get together and tell me exactly what the weather will be in 2 months on my long weekend, now that would be impressive.

BigE

Gon Fishun
07-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Before you head out for a fish, you have to get your boat in the water. So, more bigger better, safer boat ramps with CTV, lots of lighting and maybe a boom gate system where you can scan a card that is supplied with your boat rego, or a pin number like at Kirkleigh, Somerset park. ;D :o

bennykenny
07-01-2013, 09:44 PM
complete buy outs of commercial fishing licensees in estuary systems would be on my wish list.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Schulzy
07-01-2013, 10:13 PM
More research into the spawning runs of whiting/ bream/ flathead ie winter time. not that I'm against netting. its the fact that the net fisherman target them when they are schooled and breeding. This in my opinion is the problem with netting in the straights for example. You are taking all the breeding fish before they spawn it doesn't make sense. A pro worth his salt would know doubt realise that this will eventually thin the numbers of fish out over time. But he has to make money I guess but at what cost. Don't ban netting just do it smarter.

More has to be done about the artificial reef crap. They praise the reef balls in there political stunts saying how good they are. Why don't they do more of it we wouldn't need to bring in more green zones if the pressure was spread out.

Cheers schulzy

Schulzy
07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
^^ forgot we have reef spawning closures, barra spawning closure. why not estuary? By the way I'm not in any way an estuary man ( don't like midgees) but the brainiacs have to start somewhere. May as well be in our back yards so too speak millions of dollars get spent on study but a very small % gets spent doing something about the problems

Fillet`n`Release
07-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Issues that concern me. In-shore pro fishing (beach netting and trawling) near highly populated areas (particularly SE QLD). Needless death of unquantified numbers of by-catch. The concern of the longer term damage done to stocks as a result of the afforementioned netting during spawning times in particular (short term gain for long term pain).

Would love to see more artificals reefs, FADs etc. We need to supplement the amount of habitat to combat current and future fishing pressure.

Not against Green Zones as long as they're planned with common sense. As also mentioned already, without significant personal investment in technology it's near impossible to navigate on open water and be able to distinguish such zones. Perhaps a beacon system not unlike the wavemarker buoys to give a physical reference points in the water.

A comprehensive update (leaflet/letter) of any boating and/or fisheries laws included in *every* boating/trailer registration renewal. Tired of finding out new regs second hand or having to go looking for myself. Thankfully I've never had to find out from a fisheries patrol with a fine to back it up.

MudRiverDan
08-01-2013, 05:12 AM
More fish would be good.

odes20
08-01-2013, 08:07 AM
More FADs in QLD. It may seem a strange request ffrom me at Cairns, but my rationale is that the one close productive wreck out off Double Island gets a flogging, and yet still produces quality fish. if we had 2 more in this same depth range of 20 metres, just off Cairns, it would spread the boats out a bit and im sure it would greatly increase the in shore fishery for all the local fishers.

B_E_N
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
i think the netting game here in QLD has to be scaled back, we can learn alot from our southern neighbour NSW in regards to this and how their fisheries have bloomed because of it. I think anyone who has ever fished a beach before and after netters would agree that we cant keep doing this.
so my idea would be research netting and its impact on fish populations and fish migrations and fish habitats.

Rodman
08-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Dear Phil

I have a gripe about the netting of inlets like Tin Can Bay where the netters are constantly netting the flats every day of the week and damaging the dugong grasses along with bread and butter species habitats. This netting is not good for the tourism economy for the area.

Ken

warti
08-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I would like more wrecks or artificial reefs in the Gladstone area as the amount of boats fishing out of here is now getting rediculous. The bunker group surely cannot sustain this pressure. I would also like to see the amount of netting reduced, or the pros paid off in the harbour & narrows region as I believe the fishing could be as great as places like hinchinbrook. I would also like the government to get behind sustainable fisheries and aquaculture. Here's to a bright 2013!

odes20
08-01-2013, 11:37 PM
a couple of comments on this thread about the need of significant personal investment to navigate the green zones. I cant see how you can define zones off landmarks? to much variability in that especially offshore. Also I dont think a chartplotter is a great expense these days in the overall context of boating and fishing. You dont even need green zones mapped into the plotter software. When the greenzones were first introduced, I began making routes off the waypoints of the defined boundaries of the zones in my area. Then just activate the particular route of the zone you are near, and its very easy to see where you are.

Horse
09-01-2013, 07:01 AM
There are a lot of issues that need a lot of investigation before solutions can be mapped. A couple of them would be
1/ Review of Green Zones. Which ones are significantly increasing biomass or species diversity
2/ Look into what are the major factors in the environmental degredation of inshore waters adjacent to poulation centres and investigate solutions to reduce their impact on the waterways
3/ Do a cost/benefit analysis on inshore netting and trawling. Factor in the social as well as financial impacts of inshore commercial effort
4/ Continue to monitor the biomass estimates of popular recreational species using a number of models and sampling techniques to establish poulation trends that can be relied on to make fishery management decisions

Gazza
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
1. keeping 2 jennies over 17cms
2. C&R fishing in Green Zones
3. TAC(s) imposed on ALL commercial activity ,reducing by 10~15%/yr
4. Estuary "netting" to be BANNED to mouth-of-estuary/river
5. SIP not required if fishing with person(s) under 18yo
optional: sack McVeigh IF <3 of the conditions above is not met ;D
reason: NOT "RecFisho-friendly" = :dunce:

kingie
09-01-2013, 01:09 PM
With a new government it is a good time to review the size and effectiveness of the Grey Nurse Shark protection zones, in particular the Flat Rock area off Point Lookout and Hendersons area off Morton Is. As the Grey Nurse sharks are only present for a few months of the year in winter and not during the summer when the run of pelagic species occurs in SE Qld, In summer they are known to migrate south with the cooler water, this movement is well known by fisheries and local dive tour operators who offer Grey Nurse shark dives in winter.

As the Grey Nurse sharks are not present in summer there is no valid reason to exclude Rec Angler access for trolling lures for Wahoo, Mackerel and Tuna during the summer months, the only excuse offered is that enforcement is easier if there is a total ban, so fisheries are implying Rec Fishers to not have the ability to understand limited access areas even though we already have the reef fish spawning colsures and had a snapper closure.

Time for us to ask for a rational well planned solution for all users, keep the 200m zone around the Grey Nurse Shark resting gutters all year as they rest there during the day, have the 1200 m exclusion zone applied only during the months sharks are present and allow trolling artificial lures at all other times during daylight hours only.

Common sense and the respect that all user groups have the ability to understand the rules will give us access to reef high points that have been taken away all year round when they realistically only need to be closed for a few months.

KINGIE.

Gazza.Boyne
11-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I've been living in the Gladstone region for over 15 years now and I am with Wartie.
The amount of boats that now fish the Bunker group & the local estuaries has increased threefold.

I would like to see more wrecks and some artificial reefs in the area.

I would like to see the Boyne River mouth dredged & some lights on the channel markers.

More funding for buying back of Commercial net licences in the estuaries would be good.

Cheers Gazza

mouse71
12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
As a rec fisher from FNQ, I would dearly love to see the decrease in the number of pro netters, and an increase in the fishing areas that the pros are NOT allowed to work
As a keen rec crabber as well, I think it's time that Jenny's should be allowed to be taken
We've been saying for many, many years that we should look at the NT, and the way that they model there rec fishing, but sadly that's all we seem to do,,,,,just look

Shawn 66
13-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Unsure if this is feasable .
I would like to see the amount of seafood imported into this country drastically reduced . The shortfall would be made up by diverting X amount of locally caught / produced seafood from the export market to the domestic market .
Please do not give me ant bullsh!t about free trade , when places like China , Vietnam etc open up their markets so should we .( Slightly off topic I know) .
Also would like to see a greater emphasis placed on the protection of estuary breeding grounds . ( Degredation / Contamination etc ).
Incresed visible presence on the water of Patrol officers would be a help .
Shawn

Lucky_Phill
14-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys.

I will take all suggets on board, but some were off topic a tad.

I'll close the thread for now.

cheers Phill