PDA

View Full Version : Reading sounder with polaroids on

deckie
07-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Have i got the worlds worst polaroids for reading a sounder or does everyone have similar issues ? Cant see a bloody thing. I dont recall it ever being quite this hard to read a sounder with sunnies on. Sounder is an hds, spec's are mako.

Anyone got a pair of polaroids that arnt too bad looking at the sounder ?

Seems a shame to have to re-gift what i thought was a v nice and thoughtful xmas pressie.

I know its not a big issue but its becoming a bit of a pain.

Steve.

shy guys
07-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Spotters can't read the furuno very well only just got the sunnies

Boab Bribie
07-01-2013, 05:11 AM
I have a pair of Ugly Fish sunnies and do the same thing Deckie very difficult to read a sounder / GPS screen.
Boab

MEG-A-BITE
07-01-2013, 06:08 AM
I have Maui Jims and they are fine,Got a Furuno sounder.

Triple
07-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Use an anti glare matte screen protector. You can buy them cheap for a lap top and cut them to size or a get a nushield or similar specific product.
http://www.nushield.com/device.php?apptypeid=Aviation+and+Marine+GPS
(Quick order section has lowrance listed)

Moonlighter
07-01-2013, 07:06 AM
The problem is that the sounder screens have a polariod filter on them as well.

If your sunnies also have a polaroid filter then, at the correct angle, the screen will go black.

For Most sunnies, the lenses are such that you have to be at 90 degrees for this to happen. Wth my Bill Bass prescription polariods, looking at the screen straight on is fine, but tilt your head 90 degrees and it goes black.

Cheers!

odes20
07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
I have a pair of Fuglies? which have the magnifying inserts in the lower part of the lense and they are polarised and work really well for me, the magnifying insert helps my eyes and they are also great for knot tying. I suppose they are a cheap alternative to perscription sunnies with graduating lenses.

deckie
07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Sounds like i'm not the only one.
I've always worn polaroids, just seem to now struggle to get an angle at which it doesnt wash out or go blackish.

Maybe i'm just getting old. Got a 50th coming up.

I'll investigate further about a screen cover i think. Basis what u guys say its probably something i;ll just have to forget and live with. They're a bit pricey to experiment with brands.

Tx very much for the feedback fellas.

WalrusLike
07-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I think it also depends on the screen. My garmin is fine through my polarised sunnies but I can't hardly see my iPad with them on.

Nicko_Cairns
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I have fuglies too (and some spotters), some angles i have an issue with both but mostly they're good, occasionally i'll look over the top of my sunnies like an old man (like Odes?) ;)

I have a pair of Fuglies? which have the magnifying inserts in the lower part of the lense and they are polarised and work really well for me, the magnifying insert helps my eyes and they are also great for knot tying. I suppose they are a cheap alternative to perscription sunnies with graduating lenses.

tunaticer
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I think that maybe you are tilting your head a bit when looking form the side or an odd angle. Polarised sunnies only let vertical light paths through. Plenty of the current sounders and plotters and screen protectors are polarised as well, if the light emitting from the screen is not vertical to your sunnies you will have this problem regardless of the brand.
I fitted a screen protector to one of my old sounders years ago and it blacked out with polarised sunnies, ended up rotating that screen protector 90 degrees and solved the problem.

Mrs Ronnie H
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi
Can't see a bloody thing with my spotters-- then again can;t see the screen when I take them off unless I put the prescriptions on. Its a real hassle when you need glasses to read the screen but when you put them on you can't see where you're heading.

Mrs H

deckie
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Maybe the alternative is to just have a "sunnies holder" on the dash...and keep a pair of regular non polarised ones handy for driving. Get into a habit of switching specs when turning the key.
Be nice not to have to but i;m sort of like Nicko up there ^^^ tilting head and peering over the top of the polaroids, old guy style.
Spent a silly minute trying all sorts of angles last week. Yes due to the nature of how polarising filters work you could see better on certain angles ...but sheeesh i just couldnt be stuffed.
Agree i cant see how any brand would change anything. The crossways screen protector tunaticer tried might be worth a crack tho.
Tackling the big issues here :thumbsup:

odes20
07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
With toe Fuglies on I can comfortably read my Garmin Plotter and my Furuno 585 LCD Sounder The magnified section is brilliant for assisting clarity and then they are just normal vis for the rest of the lense so no probs with vis underway.
They really work for me

WalrusLike
07-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I will test it out tomorrow but I believe the Garmin screen is not polarised because any angle seems fine.

Will test it tomorrow.

WalrusLike
09-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Amazing how a jinx works.....

For the first time yesterday I was fishing far forward and when I turn my head to see the sounder... black screen!

So it turns out my Garmin is polarised but you need your head on a odd, unnatural angle before the screen is affected.

Live and learn.....

whiteman
09-01-2013, 09:02 AM
The new Furuno sounder works with polarised sunnies.

WalrusLike
09-01-2013, 01:37 PM
The new Furuno sounder works with polarised sunnies.

Have you tried rotating the polarised sunnies through different angles to see if at any point it goes dark?

Until recently my understanding of LCD screen was that they always will have a polarised effect. My Garmin made me think I was wrong until yesterday when I found that it too, is polarised.

deckie
09-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Amazing how a jinx works.....
For the first time yesterday I was fishing far forward and when I turn my head to see the sounder... black screen!
So it turns out my Garmin is polarised but you need your head on a odd, unnatural angle before the screen is affected.
Live and learn.....
:evil: lol
Ahhh well bugga. Join the club.
BUT..the good news is that yours is probably nowhere near as bad as mine.
Regularly i'm struggling to see a damn thing on the sounder just driving along :angryfire:

I'm seriously thinking about keeping a pair of normal tinted sunnies handy at the helm and switching. Polaroids are an essential for me and most guys...but sheeesh.

Odes reckons his furuno/fuglies combo is fine... could be a mighty expensive exercise changing over though lol.

Such a little thing, but can be a real pain once u start realising just how many times you are doing the peer over the top of the specs or head wobble thing.