PDA

View Full Version : boat rolls on evans head bar

ranga7
06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Local pro and friend got rolled this morning on the bar. I spoke to him and he's certain if he didn't have a life jacket on he'd be gone. The bar wasn't that bad and he's lived here for years and crossed it a thousands of times, another example that it can happen to anyone and that life jackets should be worn at all times by all levels of experience.

walruss
06-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Must obviously be a design flaw in the boat. So that makes it a manufacturers error. Better start the sledging!

GBC
06-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Aww give it up Walruss, he was anchored!!:o

walruss
06-01-2013, 12:15 PM
To the chair at the front bar!!

Jeremy
06-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Good post ranga. Bars are unpredictable and even pros can come unstuck. Hope your friend recovers quickly.

Captain Seaweed
06-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I guess another etec failed?

Aussie123
06-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Probably a carby 2 stroke that stopped when going vertical :vrolijk_26:

Richo1
06-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Bet he hasn't done a bar crossing course before 😜... Glad everyone is ok.

braders83
06-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Do u know what happened ranga? I went out Friday morning and it wasn't too bad I thought? Freak wave?

ranga7
06-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah it wasn't to bad, bit of a novice mistake especially for him, he committed to go one semi stood up and instead of charging he did a u turn it caught him and he rolled. Again it can happen to anyone, maybe he was tired, not thinking clear, hung ova or what eva, the important thing is he had a life jacket on and survived.
Not being a party pooper but don't see the need for etec jokes or what eva on a thread wear a friend nearly died.

Captain Seaweed
06-01-2013, 06:06 PM
No problems Ranga, its the aussie way not intended to upset ya its simply making light of a bad situation.

paullee
06-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Not being a party pooper but don't see the need for etec jokes or what eva on a thread wear a friend nearly died.

Yeah good call ranga there must be some totally bored ppl out there to make a joke out of something like that.....Glad all involved are ok...

Richo1
06-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Yep, as you say Ranga it could happen to anyone. The day I flip a boat ill be happy to cop it on the chin and receive the flak that goes with it.

I'll will also post how it happened.

Always good to hear how it these incidents occur- that's how we all learn from it, unfortunately at someone else's expense.

Cheers Richo

lucee81
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Always room for a good etec joke. God knows evinride had one with the etec.

seastorm
06-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I wonder if he was not in NSW waters (where by law you have to wear a lifejacket to cross a bar) he would have had one on? Just show you that anything can happen and real quick. I might start a new years resolution to start and wear one in my boat when crossing the bar, even if it is mainly the Seaway.

finga
06-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Yeah it wasn't to bad, bit of a novice mistake especially for him, he committed to go one semi stood up and instead of charging he did a u turn it caught him and he rolled.
So glad all the people are OK.
That bar is well known for the odd freak wave.
We've had two in a row there one day. The first one tore the hatch off the front and the second one went straight through the front of the boat and out the back.
At what point is a bar bar dangerous enough to do some work on? How many people have to die before anything is done?
The Evans bar needed dreading badly in the late 70's early 80's. They tried the aerators at Evans in the late 80's early 90's and they were a miserable failure.

Bloody greenies. If it wasn't for them a lot of bars would be a lot safer for boaties.

Jarrah Jack
06-01-2013, 08:50 PM
The Evans bar needed dreading badly in the late 70's early 80's.

I think its dreaded now Scott.......:D

uripper
06-01-2013, 08:58 PM

fair call, though thankfully no one did die, so then as said by another poster, it is the aussie way to take the piss out something that frightens us all ... having a big white anchor bolted to the transom :-)
its called friendly macho bullsh!t & bravado, no offense intended
Mal

P.S. a serious thank you as to why it happened ..,.
a novice mistake especially for him, he committed to go one semi stood up and instead of charging he did a u turn it caught him and he rolled.
.... that information is gold , cheers

Roo
06-01-2013, 09:15 PM
P.S. a serious thank you as to why it happened ..,.
a novice mistake especially for him, he committed to go one semi stood up and instead of charging he did a u turn it caught him and he rolled.
.... that information is gold , cheers

Especially so on the Evans bar. Its a very confined space to be doing a U turn. I've only crossed it aboard charter vessels but I've surfed it 100's of times. If you have the tide pushing out then you are really up against it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

finga
07-01-2013, 07:05 AM
I think its dreaded now Scott.......:D

It's been dreaded for donkey's years old china.

Roo....too right. I refuse to come in on a run-out tide. I'd rather wait for the run-in tide instead of taking the risk if there is any swell at all.
Really sad thing is I can remember going out that bar in a 12' tinny with oars as a power plant.

cormorant
07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Talking of unexpected waves "feak waves" and experienced skippers a coast guard boat , alloy mono going from Pittwater to Syd Harbour to be a marshall boat for NYE fireworks rolled and ended up on the beach. Didn't hear much about it other than the iniial explainantion was a feak wave on a flat day. Not sure if they were doing a reccy and hugging the sholine and got rolled at a bommy or what but unusual for a boat to roll in good weather when not on call going to a emergency. Was a 20 something foot platey so I was told

QF3 MROCP
08-01-2013, 10:38 PM
List of designated coastal bars in Qld

Currumbin Bar
Tallebudgera Bar
Jumpinpin Bar
South Passage Bar
Caloundra Bar
Maroochy Bar
Mooloolah River mouth
Noosa Bar
Gold Coast Seaway
Round Hill Creek
Wide Bay Bar

finga
09-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Actually the bar at Evans Head is not a bar anymore. It's a sand bank at the end of a river.
It cannot be a bar if a lot of boats bottom out at near anything other then top of the tide.
Here is an old picture

http://www.eastcoastcountry.com.au/photos_nsw/ballina%20and%20evans%20head/pnsw_evans%20head.jpg

ranga7
09-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Thats not Evans Head, pretty sure thats down south somewhere.
Actually the bar at Evans Head is not a bar anymore. It's a sand bank at the end of a river.
It cannot be a bar if a lot of boats bottom out at near anything other then top of the tide.
Here is an old picture

http://www.eastcoastcountry.com.au/photos_nsw/ballina%20and%20evans%20head/pnsw_evans%20head.jpg

Captain Seaweed
09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
I jumped onto google earth to have a closer look at the bar. The one Finga has put up is the Evans River Bar, I thought that was the Evans Head bar?? Maybe it goes under a different name?

finga
09-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Thats not Evans Head, pretty sure thats down south somewhere.
Bugger me dead. Where is it then?
I thought I've regularly been going to Evans Head since 1969 when-ever we visited Nana and Pop. Where have I really been going to? Where did I really go for Christmas? At least the house was there and my key fitted the shed to get their boat out so all is good where-ever I ended up.

Another view of the bar and if you do a Google map and go to satellite and compare certain features like the surf clubhouse, Shark Bay, The Little Wall and the general layout of the town it'll confirm the first picture is Evans Head.

I jumped onto google earth to have a closer look at the bar. The one Finga has put up is the Evans River Bar, I thought that was the Evans Head bar?? Maybe it goes under a different name?
Same place. Evans Head, Evans river, Evans bar, Evans river bar, front bar of the Illawong....... all Evans.

http://www.sail-world.com/photos/med_Evans%20Head.jpg

PS: just below and right of the club house (just before the old vehicle access) is where I saw my first bare boobie. I was flabbergasted. ;D

ranga7
09-01-2013, 07:40 PM
No definitely not Evans head it's definitely down south. WINK WINK. No more pictures finga 8-)

inga;1448610]Bugger me dead. Where is it then?
I thought I've regularly been going to Evans Head since 1969 when-ever we visited Nana and Pop. Where have I really been going to? Where did I really go for Christmas? At least the house was there and my key fitted the shed to get their boat out so all is good where-ever I ended up.

Another view of the bar and if you do a Google map and go to satellite and compare certain features like the surf clubhouse, Shark Bay, The Little Wall and the general layout of the town it'll confirm the first picture is Evans Head.

Same place. Evans Head, Evans river, Evans bar, Evans river bar, front bar of the Illawong....... all Evans.

http://www.sail-world.com/photos/med_Evans%20Head.jpg

PS: just below and right of the club house (just before the old vehicle access) is where I saw my first bare boobie. I was flabbergasted. ;D[/QUOTE]

Captain Seaweed
09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
WTF??? you guys have lost me......

Burnsy74
09-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Just come bk from Cape Moreton to Sydney and had a day planned at Brunswick Heads and South West Rocks. I heard about the Evan Head pro mishap abandoned both days due to the bar only boats I saw that got out at Brunswick were two 25 ft cat charter boats that took on 4ft breaking waves impressive. The interesting thing about South West Rocks was the forecast was 30 knot from the north by 10 am with an 11.30 low tide. I was really upset to wake up to no wind and the bar fine on a 1m run in sea at 5.30am... But how much better did I feel at 11.30 with 30-40knots of NE and 1m waves breaking across the whole bar with no water at all!! Often getting out isn't the problem... Worst still didn't get a day on the crazy little blacks down there.. My mate score 16 last Saturday in 3 hrs off the jail... But even marlin arnt worth my boat or life...

lucee81
09-01-2013, 10:03 PM
WTF??? you guys have lost me......

Not a proud day to be a nsw'er if they carry on like them 2.
No one knows what they are on about.
Don't know who this ranga7 is but he must be speaking in redhead. Cause it sure ain't English.

finga
10-01-2013, 06:44 AM
I was wanting to know where I've been going to all those years.

The picture was put up to show the entrance to the Evans river is not a bar. The entrance to the Evans river is nothing but a sand bank.

ranga7
10-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Don't know who this lucee is but he's a queen slander and some of them are a bit slow. Ill re word it for you mate, Yes it is Evans Head obviously captain seaweed google mapped it. I said it wasn't and its down south WINK WINK as a bum steer(joke), as us locals still like it to be somewhat of an unknown. Sorry i didn't realise you were from qld hope your alright.
Not a proud day to be a nsw'er if they carry on like them 2.
No one knows what they are on about.
Don't know who this ranga7 is but he must be speaking in redhead. Cause it sure ain't English.

lucee81
10-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Don't know who this lucee is but he's a queen slander and some of them are a bit slow. Ill re word it for you mate, Yes it is Evans Head obviously captain seaweed google mapped it. I said it wasn't and its down south WINK WINK as a bum steer(joke), as us locals still like it to be somewhat of an unknown. Sorry i didn't realise you were from qld hope your alright.

This lucee character is a NSW'er.v born but not bred in nsw. bred in the territory

rabbi
13-01-2013, 07:54 PM
For some reason this thread reminds me of the april fools joke when they shifted the QLD border down into NSW.
I laughed a lot then(even moreso when I realised it was a joke) as I am laughing at some of the antics going on here.

Finding it hard to believe that a boat rolled on the Evans bar in the recent flat conditions.

I have been watching a lot of the boats going out the Ballina bar of late and its been fairly flat. just waiting for a swell to pick up and see what happens next, especially with some of the cartoppers going out8-)
cheers.