PDA

View Full Version : Worth Fixing - Soft Floor/Deck - 1969 Caribbean Sprint 150

JK99
05-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Hey guys,

I removed the back to back seats out of the old girl today and have discovered she has a reasonably large soft spot in the floor/deck. Under where the seats were, Im a knob for not realising it earlier.. oh well.

I understand this can be a costly excercise to fix, and I do not have the work area to do it myself.

I'm in to minds what to do, my gut tells me to remove the running gear (70hp installed last year) and sell it? What ya think? and how much do you reckon I could offload the boat and trailer for?

Attached a few pics. thx all.

Rip it up
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Don't be dis heartened by a soft floor. I ran mine around for 12months with a really bad floor before rebuilding it.

My DIY job using epoxy and honeycomb materials cost $2500 approx. But is a never to be needed again result. Really happy that I could give the boat a new lease on life.

If you throw a tarp over the top you could do the job yourself with minimal tools and experience. Plywood and polyester resin is the cheapest.

Plenty of boats need new floors and its not a major job if tackled early before the transom gets wet.

Good luck. Ask as many questions as you like on here.

Damo.

Rip it up
05-01-2013, 11:18 AM
And I am always buying boats that somebody thought was in the too hard basket. Most are sub $500.

JK99
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
thanks for the reply guys. I do have a tarp over it so I guess I could have a crack :)

The fibreglass has come away from the subfloor (adding to the sponge). I'm thinking first step would be to cut this away to inspect the timbers? Sound about right?

JK99
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
looks like I have a lil project on my hands.. I'll see if I can expose the entire piece of ply.

Dave_H
05-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Yep, but be prepared to chase it a fair way, just to make you get it all. I own (basically) the same hull (a 1970 Cobra, which has a slightly different topsides fitted but is much the same config as yours), and had to do similar to what you describe about 5 years ago. I'm glad I did as my boat still out performs and rides softer than many late model boats of the same size. It will never take to a big sea like a bigger boat, but I can assure you the Caribbeans will hold their own in the slop against said bigger boats of the same or later era.

The only let down to them is the lack of freeboard. My hull plate gives a max hp rating of (1970) 105hp, I fitted a new 90hp Tohatsu in 2009 and haven't looked back. That combo gives me the same (or even slightly better) speed for the same (or less) fuel than the original 1970 60hp 2 stroke my grandfather had fitted to it new as it is a much more refined unit than the original Evinrude.

Resale value never going to be magic, however they will outlast you and me if you keep them well. All up cost me around $450 for the materials to re-do the underfloor. My transom was sound and in good condition so didn't need any work.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here who are right up to speed with the latest techniques and materials, just ask them to help or recommend a product that will do the job for you.

Regards,

Dave.

JK99
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
ok. might be fooked. looks like someone has previously patched it. badly. They mush have taken to it with a circ saw, ripped out the guts and wacked down a bit of ply. Worse, they didn't even marry the ply up correctly meaning a nice big gap.

The stringers are mush, and it looks like moisture runs the entire length of the boat.

I reckon this may be a job for someone more keen that I. Im gonna need a new boat.

finga
05-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Bugger. The rest of the boat looks really good.
Keep us informed as to your intentions with the boat too matey. I might be interested in it as well.
The bit of the hull that gets wet looks very much like a Bertram and I'd be looking at 79 instead of 69 as a build year.
Is there a builders plate on it? What motor is on it now?

Cheers then
Scott :)

JK99
05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Heya mate.

Yeah it's a shame it is a clean looking boat and I think now the resto is just something I cant' undertake (in the middle of a house reno at the moment)

I put a new 70HP 2-stroke Yamaha on it last year so will probably look to find a new boat to plonk it on. Probably something more aligned with fishing.

As for make/model, Previous owner did some research into the boat, as part of that International Marine sent him the brochure of the boat, and included a photocopy of a docket with the Boat Number dated July 69. Apparently a Sprint 150 was a "spiritely 14' ski boat. Bold and beautifully proportioned.' :)

Dave_H
05-01-2013, 07:39 PM
ok. might be fooked. looks like someone has previously patched it. badly. They mush have taken to it with a circ saw, ripped out the guts and wacked down a bit of ply. Worse, they didn't even marry the ply up correctly meaning a nice big gap.

The stringers are mush, and it looks like moisture runs the entire length of the boat.

I reckon this may be a job for someone more keen that I. Im gonna need a new boat.

The pics in that post and the one at 103pm aren't coming-up.

Regards,

Dave.

JK99
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
do the direct links work for you? sorry, i used the pic upload option when posting.. they do work from me here so not sure what is going on..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=87926

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=87927

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=87928

finga
06-01-2013, 06:39 AM
As for make/model, Previous owner did some research into the boat, as part of that International Marine sent him the brochure of the boat, and included a photocopy of a docket with the Boat Number dated July 69. Apparently a Sprint 150 was a "spiritely 14' ski boat. Bold and beautifully proportioned.' :)
Maaaaate. Did you ever run a tape measure over the hull?
It looks waaaaay bigger then a 14'er.

Just yesterday I took a motor off a mates boat as he upgraded. It's a 75 Marineer. Just perfect :D