PDA

View Full Version : Current towable catarmarans

Illusionmirage
04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone.

Just doing some research. Wondering who is still is business that makes a decent 6.5-7m cat.

So far I have
Kevlacat 2400
Noosa cat 2300
Sailfish varieties.

Markham dominator - appears company is in liquidation.
Coastal cat - no idea where to find them.

Any other information would be great.

Please no rants or mono hull vs cat. That will come in a different thread. Would be nice to have a clean list.

Captain Seaweed
04-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Glacier Bay are worth a mention, lots of bang for buck in the second hand market.

Cheers
Marty

Blackened
04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
G'day

Coastal Cat, direct from manufacturer... Bob, 155 grigor st, Caloundra 5491 9966

IMO, I think these are the best, then the Noosa Cat's.

Dave

lutjanus
04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Coastal Cat Ph 0754919966. He is a one man op and may be on hols.He was ill last year but think he is operating again.I have owned 2 Kevlacat 2400"s --2 Coastal cats and 1 noosacat over last 15yrs.Used for over 8000hrs total.Best cat in my opinion is Coastalcat 7mt with 2x 140Suz . Next Noosacat. Would not touch Dominator as heard Bad things.Kevlacat if desperate.

myusernam
04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Coastal Cat Ph 0754919966. He is a one man op and may be on hols.He was ill last year but think he is operating again.I have owned 2 Kevlacat 2400"s --2 Coastal cats and 1 noosacat over last 15yrs.Used for over 8000hrs total.Best cat in my opinion is Coastalcat 7mt with 2x 140Suz . Next Noosacat. Would not touch Dominator as heard Bad things.Kevlacat if desperate.

mate can you elaborate on why?
I see you have a longboat now? (Ive got a 6.7 longboat but would like a kevlacat or so I thought!)

bigjudge
04-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Try seatrek marine.
CHEERS AND BEERS

Drew70
04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Commander Cat have a 590 model which is about 6.5 overall. North Coast Boating have a second hand one setup with extras with low hours.
Powercat are back manufacturing again after owners took a break to travel.
There are some imported Worldcats from USA for sale as well
Voyager Cats had a new model 6.5 but not sure if they are still trading
AMM make a Alloy cat

Hemo25
04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
If you’re considering New, i would look at getting custom plate alloy hull built; this way you get exactly what you want for around the same price as a Production built boat. I’d be talking to a naval architect and a custom boat builder in your area. Give Chris Tucker a call http://www.ctmd.com.au/ he’s one of the best Naval Architect in the country and works with boat builders in all states of Australia.

Illusionmirage
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Have looked at the USA cats but it really is only the 270 world cat and 2680 glacier bay. Both are not trailerable with a cruiser to my knowledge. Only looking at cabins otherwise I would be all over a renaissance prowler.

The plate boats are interesting but I just don't see how they can ride as nice as a glass boat and the noise from the waves bangin around 2 hulls in the videos I've seen annoy me and they are in perfectly calm water.

I did see voyager I think it was but told to stay away from owner.

They all seem to be roughly the same price.

Some food for thought. Will check out coastal cats and Noosa cats next. The kevlacat was a nice enough boat when I crawled over it as well. Commander might be worth a look as well.

cormorant
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Marlin Broadbill
Devilcat
borger
cougar
leisurecat
eagleray

since we can't mention monos how about a tri

cairns customcraft
hydrofields
stessle

bugman
05-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Speaking from experience, anything is towable with the correct trailer and correct vehicle.
I have a Grady White cat which is HEAVY but still towable.
Brett

Hemo25
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Have looked at the USA cats but it really is only the 270 world cat and 2680 glacier bay. Both are not trailerable with a cruiser to my knowledge. Only looking at cabins otherwise I would be all over a renaissance prowler.

The plate boats are interesting but I just don't see how they can ride as nice as a glass boat and the noise from the waves bangin around 2 hulls in the videos I've seen annoy me and they are in perfectly calm water.

I did see voyager I think it was but told to stay away from owner.

They all seem to be roughly the same price.

Some food for thought. Will check out coastal cats and Noosa cats next. The kevlacat was a nice enough boat when I crawled over it as well. Commander might be worth a look as well.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago regarding alloy not riding as good as Glass but its so far from the truth these days. Plate boats have come leaps and bounds in the last 5 years with new technology and boat builders pushing the limits you will find the ride can be as good if not better than a equivalent glass boat. the noise isn't even an issue any more when foam filling the hull. Give Daniel @ Pelagic Boats a call, hes great at explaining the difference in Glass V Plate these days as he spends a lot of time in both his and other brand boats including Glass Cats.

lutjanus
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
No worries-- We actually have more than 1 boat.To answer you question --Firstly the longboat we use as a day boat only.Hard to overni. The cat is ok for up to a couple of days as you can sleep ,eat etc as you have a cabin.
Why do I say CCat-- They are a good sea boat. I like the conventional width hull not the wide one.[I have had both] unless you are commercial you dont need it. With 140's they are economical. [about 2lts or less per nm]Dont go for bigger motors as the economy drops significantly.
Bob the builder is easy to get on with and will build it how you want .he has no affiation with any outboard brand so you can get what you want if you really want another brand. It also allows you to shop around for best price. As he is a one man band you know the boat will be built right-no employees who dont care!
I think he would be cheapest but you would need to confirm this.PM me with you phone no and I will call you if you need to discuss.

Smithy
06-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Commander Cats and Seatreks are smaller than you are talking about. Commanders have very low tunnels and at trolling speed or low speed sounding around you get waves roll up over the top of the windscreen all the time. They really need spray dodgers. Mate has one of the forerunners, an Ambition. Same hull, different mob own them now. Al Broughton's Seatreks are great boats by all accounts. They are the same size at 5.9m. At least it keeps you down in the 70-90-115hp range compared to the bigger ones where you are going to be in 140-150hp land.

Another alloy cat to throw into the mix are the Jay Cats welded up at Caloundra by Jason at Offshore Marine Master. He is in the industrial estate up behind BCF. The other cat guys are in the Moffat Beach industrial estate. Jason is building up a big following with Sunny Coast guys wanting plateys and has stood the test of time the last few years where a few builders have gone belly up. If you search on Jaycat on here you will see some pretty positive comments by some of the Ausfish guys who own them.

Illusionmirage
08-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Some interesting boats listed. I will hopefully be collating the list into the original post soon. If anyone has any pics of some of the above that don't have a website it would be appreciated. Hard to believe in this day and age you can survive without one.

Cat Man
12-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Just came across this blog and thought I could help clarify some comments. I'm not trying to sell anyone a boat and will be upfront that my name is Derek and I am the Owner of Voyager Catamarans. Yes we are still operating and we do have a V625 trailerable model with a hull length of 6.1mt and overall of 7.0mt from front of bowrail to back of the walk out between outboards. I can't do anything about false rumours being peddled by a disgruntled former employee, but can say that I am here for genuine parties to contact with ANY concerns or questions regarding the company, as well as new or second hand Voyagers. You could also contact Peter Webster of Boat Mag (formally F&B Magazine) who has a wealth of knowedge about catamarans in particular. All the Best.

Lovey80
12-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Of the Aussie build boats, if I was purchasing a new one my pick is the Seatrek. Really good bang for buck, fantastic build quality (better than Coastal IMO], you can customise, and Alan has a great payment method that inspires confidence with respect to protecting you from any possible bankruptcy..

cormorant
12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Peter Wester did the F& B Cats of Australia magazine as one off for listing various manfacturers - I think he did a 2nd editon .

Homer_Jay
12-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I have played around with the numbers for a noosacat 2700 (now called 3000 or something) with a tow weight of say 4500kgs, the problem is that it is into f150 (and upwards) or medium ridged truck towing capacity. This is where the problem starts, it is a huge investment for boat AND tow vehicle so the mooring option comes back into the equation. BUT then the problem of being 'tied' to one marina/area......so round the circle we go!
Now if you could tow one (most of us live within 100ks or so of a ramp, so we are not talking long distance towing ALL of the time) with a Landcruiser then all happy days IMHO. So what say you set up a 'fifth wheel' or 'gooseneck' trailer (something that is now so common in the caravan or horse float towing area) this would mean that towing 4500kgs with a Landcruiser ute would be possible, with 1 tonne on the tray and 3500kgs on the trailer wheels. The gcm would remain legal (on the limit). It is all possible, I am just not sure why the fifth wheel type trailers haven't been used more in the marine industry?????

Redhunter
12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Just came across this blog and thought I could help clarify some comments. I'm not trying to sell anyone a boat and will be upfront that my name is Derek and I am the Owner of Voyager Catamarans. Yes we are still operating and we do have a V625 trailerable model with a hull length of 6.1mt and overall of 7.0mt from front of bowrail to back of the walk out between outboards. I can't do anything about false rumours being peddled by a disgruntled former employee, but can say that I am here for genuine parties to contact with ANY concerns or questions regarding the company, as well as new or second hand Voyagers. You could also contact Peter Webster of Boat Mag (formally F&B Magazine) who has a wealth of knowedge about catamarans in particular. All the Best.

Hi derek i like the look of your 6.25 voyager hull that ya build do you build them with a hard top and glass front and sliding side windows

steve

cormorant
12-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I have played around with the numbers for a noosacat 2700 (now called 3000 or something) with a tow weight of say 4500kgs, the problem is that it is into f150 (and upwards) or medium ridged truck towing capacity. This is where the problem starts, it is a huge investment for boat AND tow vehicle so the mooring option comes back into the equation. BUT then the problem of being 'tied' to one marina/area......so round the circle we go!
Now if you could tow one (most of us live within 100ks or so of a ramp, so we are not talking long distance towing ALL of the time) with a Landcruiser then all happy days IMHO. So what say you set up a 'fifth wheel' or 'gooseneck' trailer (something that is now so common in the caravan or horse float towing area) this would mean that towing 4500kgs with a Landcruiser ute would be possible, with 1 tonne on the tray and 3500kgs on the trailer wheels. The gcm would remain legal (on the limit). It is all possible, I am just not sure why the fifth wheel type trailers haven't been used more in the marine industry?????

By the time you are headed to that size and weight you need extra width - over 2.5 to get a decent tunnel and usefull sponson width ( now OK in QLD) and that has always been the hassle down South so people haven't bothered to go to the gooseneck route. The other issue you get to is the Max length regs hence you see people using VW / canter as they have cab over motor not a bonnet.

Lovey80
13-02-2013, 01:02 AM
These false rumors Cat Man?

http://voyagercat.com/voyagercats/index.php/2011/03/another-customers-nightmare-story-with-photos/

Cat Man
13-02-2013, 11:55 AM
In all honesty, some yes, but mostly No! There is a lot of history associated with this web site set up by Rex McGrath offshore to avoid prosecution, and if you can bear with me, I'll try to give a brief background first.
After being engaged to make plugs for the V1040 model, Rex supervised the build of the first five boats and then theatened to wreck the business unless given a 30% share. He tried ths on a Friday afternoon in 2005 just before I was due to fly out to take my 10year old adopted son to visit his birthplace in Korea. While I was away he took our V930 demo boat and tried to sell as his own. It took two years and over $120,000 in court to finally get our money, but couldn't get court costs because the ATO had put his company (Plug & Mould Developments) into liquidation a few weeks earlier. Rex then talked another poor guy into financing the set up of competing "Kingcat" but only three & half were built (all with disaterous problems) before being placed into liquidation with the loss of millions. After disappearing to Vanuatu, Rex took up residence in a waterfront property owned by a boating industry family here in Brisbane. Failing to pay rent, it then took them around 3yrs in the Vanuatu courts to get him out, and after our assistance in providing information about Rex, he then established this defamatory offshore website to get revenge. The vast majority of so-called information is completely fabricated by Rex or his mates including many photos and problems which were actually Kingcats. Even the photos in the header are Kingcat except for the V930 demo boat that he took.

In getting back to the story in your reference, as the owner of Voyager, I take responsibility that there may have been some concerns with the vessel, but they have been grossly exaggerated or mis-represnted, and convesations falsified for an ulterior motive. With over 60 vessels built, this is the only owner to contribute to the site. Many owners have contacted me and asked "Whats all this B***S**t about? They're great boats" the owner of Konomie Spirit even said "Yeah, It was so bad, I bought a second one - Konomie Dreaming".
Leading up to the construction of Darrin's vessel, staff we all employees, but then the new construction manager (Antony) ex. Mustang, changed everything over to contracts. A big mistake, as that was when little problems began to creep in as contractors took shortcuts to finnish quicker. Mr Harley Mason (refered to in the article) has told me that Darrin had disagreements with Antony during the build and intended to cause as much harm as possible until Antony was gone.

Well, I finally woke up and at the end of 2011, all went. I have concluded that with the cost and apparent work ethic of many, that the bigger and more labour intensive models may need to be built offshore. We are continuing the great little V625 here with a small and dedicated group keeping the quality and customer's needs foremost in mind. We have recently delivered a "V625 Classic" (basic fittout) to a very happy customer in Cairns, and are now commencing a new order for a "V625 SportsFish" with Hardtop, full height windscreen and side windows.

Sorry about the long response, and thank you for reading, but better the truth be known rather than some stupid excuse.

Lovey80
13-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the response Cat Man.

In light of these accusations, do you stand by your product enough that you would build a boat for a customer with 100% of the purchase price held in trust to be paid once the owner was happy and took ownership, with a 10% retention to be paid 12 months after the hand over took place?

cormorant
13-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the response Cat Man.

In light of these accusations, do you stand by your product enough that you would build a boat for a customer with 100% of the purchase price held in trust to be paid once the owner was happy and took ownership, with a 10% retention to be paid 12 months after the hand over took place?

Most boatbuilders would love to know in advance their client has all the money and it is securely held in trust before they start. The issues come with modifications to standard boats and who is signing off on the approval to release the funds and inspecting quality of works.

Depending on how you look at it it can add costs as for the period of the boat being built the builder accumulates the costs and has to finance them. If the boat doesn't come up to contract standards due to a smart arse lawyer he then also has holding costs while it is either disputed or sold .

If only contracts were as simple as a 2 line sentence and as clear and everone understood what teh acceptable standards of work are.

I agree something needs to be in place and builders should be able to finance boats build and also buyers need to be protected from builders going broke. I have done tenders, trust holding and progress paymenst on various on marine related projects and it has worked to ensure the standard is kept as per the contract and there is formal stages so you know when it starts to go wrong early and have remedy and cosnsequences already layed out. I have to say it can be a hell of a lot of work to get 2 laywers to agree the contract is fair as it will always have risk when it is not a off the shelf item.

Cat Man
13-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Hey Lovey80. I think Cormorant has probably summed it up pretty well, but lets be realistic. Most people who were going to spend around $100k on a boat would do a lot more research than just accept one persons negative rave. They would also look at all the good reports, talk some of the many happy owners, do their own inspections and certainly meet the builder or at least talk to real people that know him to make up their own minds.
Unlike Rex McGrath, I'm a straight shooter and with nothing to hide. I have a Degree in Engineering and still do consultancy in the oil & gas industry, but I'm a fanatic about cat design and in it for the joy, not just money. Unlike Rivera, Mustang, Sunrunner, Montbello, Brava, Markam and many others, Voyager has not collapsed during the GFC and I am still here to help all past customers. I have even helped Harley Mason with Darrin's boat by supplying material behind the scene.
To the best of my knowlege, Rex McGrath was actually a failed panel beater from New Zealand who turned his hand to plug making in Australia and has no Boatbuilding qualifications at all, so if anyone chooses to believe his lies and false accusations then so be it, but for the rest, I look foward to meeting anytime. My Mob is 0417780600 if anyone wants to speak with me. Thank You.

Lovey80
14-02-2013, 02:46 AM
I get what you are saying Derrick. However, all the research in the world wouldn't have stopped people losing big dollars when Fisher boats went down. I am sure there are a hundred other stories just like it.

So, what is your answer to my questions in post #24?

Cheers

Chris

mitch_wahoo
14-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Have a look at leasure cats too. A mates dad has one and there awesome.

ShaneC
14-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Hang on, why should he have 10% retainer held for 12 months?? It's not the industrial building industry. Nobody else does that, why should he disadvantage his business to satisfy that? That's what warranties are for.....

Cat Man
14-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Chris, Simple answer is No, and no one else would either unless they were desperate and then you know your in trouble anyway. While I know what your saying, the fact is that the same applies to virtually every company in existance, not just in the marine industry, or not just mine. In any case, at least our contracts have always handed the title of the vessel to the purchaser during construction for their protection.
Regards, Derek.

propdinger
14-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Chris
would you spend your own money and time building something then get then money after its all done. progress payments are about the only way most can work for custom jobs. i know if i was looking at spending $100k i would do as much homework as i could but in the end i would be checking in person progress before handing more money over. imo if your that worried get something off the shelf and be happy you have it straight away. i am looking into a well known plate boat and i dont expect them to pay wages and rent etc and i expect to pay for it all at the end otherwise they would have to put the price up to cover these things and overdraft accounts and then i couldnt afford one

Lovey80
14-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm not here to rubbish the guy. There are some very serious accusations about Derrick and his business practices. Of course there are two sides to every story and i certainly wouldnt pass judgement based on google? A google search shows the website with the accusations as the first on the google list. Now I'm neutral and would certainly do my own research before purchasing a 100-500k? Boat. Part of that research would find that website.

Now Al Broughton that builds the Seatrek Supersports Cat in Caloundra, has no such accusations that I am aware of. He builds a stock boat that is very high in quality, but you can also customize to your wants/needs. So he is a good comparison.....he has three payments when buying a boat made by him.

1. Deposit (after the hull is pulled it is plated and receipted to the customer)
2. Engine payment (negated if you chose to supply your own engines)
3. Final balance payment (which is handed over after a sea trial and the customer is happy).

Just trying to put things in perspective.

I mean no malice against you Cat Man and honestly wish you all the best in your endeavours.

ShaneC
14-02-2013, 07:54 PM
I must admit as well, I did a bit of research even though I'm not in the market and I must say, you should do something to get rid of that website!! Kiss and make up, threaten him with death, whatever you have to do, because if I were in the market that would sway me to look elsewhere.

Cat Man
14-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Hi derek i like the look of your 6.25 voyager hull that ya build do you build them with a hard top and glass front and sliding side windows

steve

Hi Steve, I didn't reply separately as I thought you may have followed the thread and seen that our first enclosed H'top is now being started for a current order. Historically, due to the setup costs, the curved glass winscreens on most boats have been imported, and the builder makes the boat to suit the screen. We are working with Alfab at present who are developing standard full ht screen panels to be made here in QLD that will be suitable for various builders. I am going to try and insert a photo that I played with quickly the old way (Liquid paper and sissors) to show a couple of new variations that we are considering, and would be interseted in any feebback on either?

Cat Man
14-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks Shane? But it should be noted that this is a problem that any of you in business could face. At present there are no laws or governing bodies in the world, let alone Australia, to whom you can appeal to have a site pulled down (unless it infringes copyright). Anyone can start a site a say what they like and your only recoarse is to sue. It can take many years and huge amounts of money to engage lawers, and even worse if they are overseas and have to work within that country's legal system. Even if you did and won, if the guy has no assets then no compensation and no court costs. Most of us couldn't afford to fund it. So be aware!

ShaneC
14-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah I understand that mate, I wasn't having a crack just saying how I would see it if I were buying. Good luck with it all.....

oldjoe
15-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I have been on several trips on a friends Voyager 930, I was very impressed with the finish and performance over the last couple of years...so is the owner, his words when asked if he was upgrading where "This is a keeper"

Illusionmirage
15-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow this thread came back to life. Really interested in finding some info on the seatreks. Can't find anything tho. Is there a website or atleast one for sale somewhere?

Blackened
15-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Steve, I didn't reply separately as I thought you may have followed the thread and seen that our first enclosed H'top is now being started for a current order. Historically, due to the setup costs, the curved glass winscreens on most boats have been imported, and the builder makes the boat to suit the screen. We are working with Alfab at present who are developing standard full ht screen panels to be made here in QLD that will be suitable for various builders. I am going to try and insert a photo that I played with quickly the old way (Liquid paper and sissors) to show a couple of new variations that we are considering, and would be interseted in any feebback on either?

G'day

That's a smart looking cat there!

Dave

cormorant
15-02-2013, 03:09 PM
This post should be closed

You can't build a pretty cat as then all the cat haters would have nothing to whinge about!!!!! ::)
Make it square and boxy with flat glass then the whingers will be happy and have a excuse to never own one and enjoy the magic carpet ride!!!:P

stevemid
15-02-2013, 04:21 PM
There is a Spirited 230 that was built by a guy in Swansea NSW. This was third boat that he built so he wasn't a first time builder. He died at the end of this project and His wife has not yet launched the boat, but I understand she is in the process of giving it to a local marina to sell for her. (It is sitting in her front yard on a trailer.) The combined weight of the boat and trailer would be well under 1500Kg so easily towable. You can get an overview of the design from the builder's website www.spiriteddesigns.com.au. If you are interested, either the designer or I can put you in touch with the owner.
Steve
PS I am building one of these myself.

Redhunter
15-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Derek from the photo that hard top looks good,i went into your web site and the 6.25 sits nice in the water plenty of bouyancy in the transom with those twin 90s on the back.What is the lowest planning speed for this hull and does it give clear sounder readings in the rough stuff ,the reason i ask is because i believe these to be the most important part of a good offshore boat.I must agree with sane c though that web site does not look good.

steve

Cat Man
17-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Steve, Transom mount transducers can suffer from turbulence particularly at speed as on most boats, but with the flat keel solid glass hull excellent perfoirmance is obtained from a high powered 'shoot through hull' type.
Derek.

Lovey80
17-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I think a full glass hard top on a trailer able cat will be a big winner in Australia. That cut n paste above would look great with the hard top extended by 0.5m with a set of rocket launchers mounted on it. Also give more shade and room to fit out solar panels etc.

Snapperscott
17-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve, Transom mount transducers can suffer from turbulence particularly at speed as on most boats, but with the flat keel solid glass hull excellent perfoirmance is obtained from a high powered 'shoot through hull' type.
Derek.

I'd love to see the one in cairns. I'm in the market for a cat but was thinking noosa cat2300 but like the write ups in the boating mags for the vog.

rosco1974
17-02-2013, 10:50 PM
sorry fellas but i got one of those 2400 kc,great boat,havea floor layer at work who has a voyger 625 who recons its great think it wasthe first one sold.am happy to do test runs in the kc for those inteested but my mate recons the voyger rides as well as the 2400 kc.wont disagree so make your own mind up if i can tee it up test ride the 2 boats

Snapperscott
18-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Rosco, I'd but your KC but cant get to the $100k mark.

Captain Seaweed
18-02-2013, 07:20 AM
I like this shape and set up, I rekon it will work well here in SEQ........hopefully. It arrives Tuesday week so will let you know pros and cons. Sorry I know I didnt need to post this but I am really excited and the mrs says she has heard enough and the kids dont want to know either.......yes its towable under 4.5T but over 3.5T smaller models available.

Cheers
Marty

PS found a home....RQYS at Manly have trailer storage, not cheap but boating never is!!

Captain Seaweed
18-02-2013, 07:25 AM
This is how they ride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYHz-d43v0

cormorant
18-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Captain

I can see why you are excited. Until people have owned and travelled in patrol cabin cats they don't appreciate just how much less fatigued you get be it from the sun or rain and what weather you can fish as you come home dry. You trim em for comfort and forget about spray. About time they included a 2nd wiper for the passenger and fresh water screen wash as it is a bugger having to lean forward to get decent field of view in the harbour. Then again go fast enough and it should rinse and bead off nicely!!

Do they have a proper self draining deck with scuppers or is the floor at the waterline not that much water can get in there?

Oh year a hint for any boatbuilder. What the hell is wrong with a low profife bar on the roof , with large but waterproof electrical holes that you can mount all accessories and stuff on so no more friggin holes in the roof!!! Other one is ventilation - in the sun with all that glass it needs a hell of a lot.

Might sound stupid but get a cheapo ramp trailer and keep the good trailer for the few times a year you tow it away. Ramp trailers don't need to be built strong and keeps your brakes and everything on your good trailer waxed maintained and stored. Easy run for the annual rego check then as well as it will look brand new.

I haven't been in a GB or seen one in any big swells so will be interested to hear how they track down swells , how much forward buoyancy the hulls have when they get a push down a wave with cabin weight forward if there is any bad manners. I know if you keep the power on and trim it up it will push through but you don't always have unlimited power or want to be on the throttles. Rather just set and forget and let the hull do it's job

Captain Seaweed
18-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I will give it an honest review as with any past boats. Great idea about a ramp trailer, will look into that one! I am not sure of any bad manners but I feel it may be a thirsty, slower boat than I am use to and I feel it will be very rocky in side on swell but time will tell. At this stage the over size tow is not a pain in the arse but ig people start organising a M&G every other weekend you will most likely see tears!!!

Cheers
Marty

Cat Man
18-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I'd love to see the one in cairns. I'm in the market for a cat but was thinking noosa cat2300 but like the 89181write ups in the boating mags for the vog.

Here are a couple of pics before it was loaded. This was a basic spec at owner's request to repa89177ce his "Dead" 18ft Sharkcat. He made minor changes to the trailer, and the vessel is currently in Tully having his Johnson Ocean Runners refitted.

Snapperscott
18-02-2013, 08:05 PM
What is the tunnel height looks a bit low? Maybe just the photos

Cat Man
18-02-2013, 10:54 PM
What is the tunnel height looks a bit low? Maybe just the photos

See photo at rest, but also note the increased height of the hull in the water under way.

julian1
19-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Rosco, I'd but your KC but cant get to the $100k mark.
What about a Noosacat 2700 then....... (under $100K)

oldjoe
19-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Would love to see a bunch of Seatrek pics in one place....they look like a sweet ride, shame there is no website...too busy building boats I suppose?

Short Fuse
19-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I will be able to post a few photos of the Seatrek in the next couple of weeks. Just signed up for one after quite a few visits to the factory to discuss boat set up and prices with Al. He is finishing one boat up now, the next one goes to Adelaide, and then he starts on my build. Expect to see my boat ready for launching etc around the end of August. I will take some photos of the current hull when it goes for sea trials prior to handing over to the owner. I have been watching this current hull right through the build process and am very impressed with the quality. Build time is around 13 weeks per boat.

Jeff

Snapperscott
19-02-2013, 06:50 PM
what price for the 2700?

ShaneC
20-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Mate that 2700 is on boatsales, have a squiz. That boat would trump a 2400 kc in any weather, every time. Just a step up in tow vehicle. The kc is not even comparable......

Captain Seaweed
21-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Captain

I can see why you are excited. Until people have owned and travelled in patrol cabin cats they don't appreciate just how much less fatigued you get be it from the sun or rain and what weather you can fish as you come home dry. You trim em for comfort and forget about spray. About time they included a 2nd wiper for the passenger and fresh water screen wash as it is a bugger having to lean forward to get decent field of view in the harbour. Then again go fast enough and it should rinse and bead off nicely!!

Do they have a proper self draining deck with scuppers or is the floor at the waterline not that much water can get in there?

Oh year a hint for any boatbuilder. What the hell is wrong with a low profife bar on the roof , with large but waterproof electrical holes that you can mount all accessories and stuff on so no more friggin holes in the roof!!! Other one is ventilation - in the sun with all that glass it needs a hell of a lot.

Might sound stupid but get a cheapo ramp trailer and keep the good trailer for the few times a year you tow it away. Ramp trailers don't need to be built strong and keeps your brakes and everything on your good trailer waxed maintained and stored. Easy run for the annual rego check then as well as it will look brand new.

I haven't been in a GB or seen one in any big swells so will be interested to hear how they track down swells , how much forward buoyancy the hulls have when they get a push down a wave with cabin weight forward if there is any bad manners. I know if you keep the power on and trim it up it will push through but you don't always have unlimited power or want to be on the throttles. Rather just set and forget and let the hull do it's job

Hi Comorant,
Thanks for your reply, they do have the option for 2nd wiper and infact most of them do. I don't now what possessed the owner to put one only in????? One of the first jobs will be for a second wiper, I reckon it would be annoying otherwise. They have a funny set up for the deck...They run 2 drain holes in each aft corner but the 2 x kill tanks in the floor drain via pumps? but it appears they are fully insulated so I'm guessing they are to be used like eskies as opposed to kill tanks. This boat runs sliding windows on each side as well as 3x roof hatches and I will have a scout for an old trailer , makes a lots of sense as I will be doing the occasional trip up north!

Cheers
Marty

Snapperscott
04-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Anyone know the specs, tow weight for the coastalcat 7000. There's one on boatpnt ATM at a reasonable price but are they under 3500kg

FNQCairns
04-12-2014, 08:35 PM
What does "current towable catamarans" actually mean??

Stared at it as along as my ADD allows already,

nothing further was forthcoming.

Darren J
04-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Anyone know the specs, tow weight for the coastalcat 7000. There's one on boatpnt ATM at a reasonable price but are they under 3500kg

They are on the lighter side for that size cat. The standard beam CoastalCat 7000 was 2.3 beam from memory I am pretty sure). I knew of at least 2 that were set up on 2t rated alloy trailers with override brakes, however I think they were under rated to be honest. Nowe with 115 suzukis the other had Optimax. I believe they would be loser to low 2t dry, on light alloy trailers. One of those boats was on a 450Kg alloy trailer, which is very light and maybe .5t less than a steel trailer. I did see one with 80Hp Yamahas as well, owner also claimed it was very light in the low 2t range.

However the boat your referring to on Boatpoint (in the Mackay area) is a 2.7 beam, so over width. However based on the standard boat weight, it still may come in under 3.5t for the wide beam version I would assume.

Cheers.

Snapperscott
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
They are on the lighter side for that size cat. The standard beam CoastalCat 7000 was 2.3 beam from memory I am pretty sure). I knew of at least 2 that were set up on 2t rated alloy trailers with override brakes, however I think they were under rated to be honest. Nowe with 115 suzukis the other had Optimax. I believe they would be loser to low 2t dry, on light alloy trailers. One of those boats was on a 450Kg alloy trailer, which is very light and maybe .5t less than a steel trailer. I did see one with 80Hp Yamahas as well, owner also claimed it was very light in the low 2t range.

However the boat your referring to on Boatpoint (in the Mackay area) is a 2.7 beam, so over width. However based on the standard boat weight, it still may come in under 3.5t for the wide beam version I would assume.

Cheers.

Yeah it looks a nice boat. Wonder if anyone could fault it on spec for under 80k compared to all the kevlacat owners wanting 90k?

perko
07-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Good boats, but hard to sell if you like changing them over regularly. Stick with KC or Noosacat if you want it to hold its value, or get it cheap.

Triple
07-12-2014, 07:29 AM
What does "current towable catamarans" actually mean??

Stared at it as along as my ADD allows already,

nothing further was forthcoming.

I'm guessing under 3.5t tow weight for his cruiser and max 2.5m beam to avoid oversize regs?

munners
17-12-2014, 01:26 PM
New cat coming out next year.

www.crossfiremarine.com

There's pictures on the contact page

Bremic
18-12-2014, 04:49 AM
New cat coming out next year.

www.crossfiremarine.com (http://www.crossfiremarine.com)

There's pictures on the contact page

Hey Munners, does that boat have any connection to the Voyager cats?

munners
19-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Hey Munners, does that boat have any connection to the Voyager cats?

Nope. Completely different.

hilta1
26-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Has anyone got one of the Voyager V625 cats? would be interesting to see what the reports are for them if anyone has one???

Cat Man
28-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Hi hilta 1,
Could send you reports from Peter Webster (Aus Boat Mag), Go Boating, or Trailer boat if you would like. Just for interest, here are a few photos of the V625 'Getaway' currently under development. It has full ht head/shw with double berth STB, or std twin single.

I hope I have added the photos properly chimo!

hilta1
28-12-2014, 06:01 PM
You can email me some info if you like, my son is looking at selling his centre console mono, has his heart set on an Edencraft 6.0 mtr, but he likes the ride of my KevlaCat 2400 but wants smaller, all info including priceing would be good, still would like to hear from the general public who has one, peter webster I would believe but some other media sell there sole so you don't always get the correct info. my email is asoon62@bigpond.com Cheers Mark

FisHard
28-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Hilta, just pick up the phone and talk to Peter Webster, he's a really approachable bloke and he loves chatting about boats.