PDA

View Full Version : Stray Collie Cross Dog for Bait?

Chimo
03-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Anyone used dog as bait on hook or in pots? Found this mutt this morning that must have run off with all the fireworks on the Gold Coast the other day and its run so far its pads and nails are bleeding.8786687867878688786987870So just wondering about uses for it if the worst come to pass and no one wants it back.

Not a real happy new year for it so far and maybe it will get better, maybe not but seems a shame to waste it.

On a similar vein we always reckon that if your going to let your dog swim in the canals you should always make sure you have a decent hook and trace through the collar so as not to waste it.

This mutt doesn't have a collar so no canal swimming for it just now and its too stuffed anyhow, gave it a drink and it had it and just fell asleep!

Cheers
Chimo

Funchy
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Hey mate, if you take it to a vet they can scan it for a micro chip and if it has one locate the owner pretty quick? (Shouldnt cost a cent)

Well done looking after the poor thing :thumbsup:

fishing111
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
ditto, good karma for you chimo

Nicko_Cairns
03-01-2013, 01:25 PM
if you phone the council they'll pick the dog up and scan for a microchip etc. cheers.

upstart
03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
He looks a bit like my dog. Bloody useless thing. He'll fetch a ball all day but do you think he could fetch me a beer?

By the way, he has a collar and is microchipped.

lucee81
03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Just make sure muddy doesn't get his hands on it otherwise it may find itself main course at the dinner table.

TREVELLY
03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
He looks a bit like my dog. Bloody useless thing. He'll fetch a ball all day but do you think he could fetch me a beer?

By the way, he has a collar and is microchipped.

The little black one looks dangerous

That one you got Chimo looks sad - good luck with it mate - hopefully some kid pining for it and giving the parents plenty of grief!

Mrs Ronnie H
03-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi
You could try your local RSPCA. keep an eye on local papers as someone might be advertising for it.

Poor thing-- great you can help out.

Mrs H

Chimo
03-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Update for you all. Transported our mutt to the Animal Welfare League by Gold Coast Council and latest news is great news - dog has been reunited :-)

All good so bait is off the table ....................

Thanks for your interest.....

Cheers
Chimo

Todddo
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Animal welfare league do a bloody good job, even got my current dog from them!
Good work for looking after it :)

thelump
03-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I know what its like to lose a dog to firecrackers. Mine bolted one NYE and we searched for a week for it then it just rocked up the driveway like nothing had happened. The owners of that hound would have been very happy. Well done Chimo.

Captain Seaweed
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Well done Chimo, I often get stuck doing the right thing and bringing lost or injured animals home. I am sure the owner is happy now!!!

Cheers
Marty

upstart
03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
The little black one looks dangerous

That one you got Chimo looks sad - good luck with it mate - hopefully some kid pining for it and giving the parents plenty of grief!

You're right, that little rotty will have ya.

Funchy
04-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Well done to you Chimo:thumbsup:

snapperdan
05-01-2013, 11:15 PM
great stuff mate. i remember when my bc was just a pup and nye came and he left. i thought it was for good. Some nice fellow called me up on the second of jan about 15 clicks away and said that my dog was siting on the couch watching the cricket and i was welcome to pick him up when i wanted. if i didn't want him he would take him. Thanks for doing the right thing.

Still_Dreamin
06-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Time to ban fireworks. All those nasty gases up setting Juliar in Canberra and the noise upsets dogs everywhere. Pity it doesn't affect cats.

jtpython
06-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Cats make good crabpot bait .................... Apparently::)::)

FishHunter
06-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Good news about the dog, in order to forework proof your dog take it to the shooting range now and again and after a while the noise doesnt worry it anymore.

cqfreshie
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Cats make good crabpot bait .................... Apparently::)::)

Ah ha .. mystery solved. That's why I don't see many stray cats down at the Cap coast. I thought it might have been the RRC doing a good job.

Andy H
06-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Good news about the dog, in order to forework proof your dog take it to the shooting range now and again and after a while the noise doesnt worry it anymore.

Is that because of all of the lead that will end up insulating it?

MudRiverDan
07-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Nails and pads bleeding, no collar, sounds like it could have slipped the collar and jumped/fallen off the back of a ute/truck.

Dan

danryan75
07-01-2013, 09:57 AM
it looks like it was usually a dog thet runs on soft surfaces like grass. when they hit the tarmac for a while it wears their nails down til it gets to the "quick" which is a blood vessel that runs inside the nail. no harm done doubt it cane off a ute

Camhawk88
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Bloody clever dog if it came of a ute and landed on its feet.

Good work Chimo. Mate of mine had the same thing happen this NYE. Even with the micro chip, the vet knows the dog but the owner is nowhere to be found- left town by the looks.

MudRiverDan
10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Bloody clever dog if it came of a ute and landed on its feet.

Some of them actually jump.

Still sore about your Barra theory? ;D

Dan

Gon Fishun
10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Time to ban fireworks. All those nasty gases up setting Juliar in Canberra and the noise upsets dogs everywhere. Pity it doesn't affect cats.

I was told by a completely unreliable source that Mr Slipper wasn't annoyed by the crack , pop, bang thing.

Camhawk88
10-01-2013, 10:13 AM
At a speed that would rip their feet to shreds yet stay on their feet and not tumble and loose a heap of bark (excuse the pun)? Maybe he put on the brakes huh, perhaps trying to slow up the car from an impending crash?

Lassie was just a fictional character buddy.

Your theories just keep getting better.::)

MudRiverDan
10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
At a speed that would rip their feet to shreds yet stay on their feet and not tumble and loose a heap of bark (excuse the pun)? Maybe he put on the brakes huh, perhaps trying to slow up the car from an impending crash?

Lassie was just a fictional character buddy.

Your theories just keep getting better.::)

At what speed?

Yes I can see you really know what your talking about.... :D

Next minute you will be telling me there are Barra breeding grounds in the Coomera river...:D:D

Camhawk88
10-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Next minute you'll be telling me you can read and comprehend.

Sorry to digress from you thread Chimo- Ill bite my tongue from now on.

Chimo
10-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Boys, I am starting to worry about you!

As long as you have been chipped I guess you will be OK in the long run. (Or should that be after a long run)

onerabbit
10-01-2013, 06:11 PM
hehehehehe .....nice thread

I had a VERY cute kitten turn up at my door about a year ago, so I let it in....
MUCH to the disgust of my now 9 yr old cat,

YES ......im a pussy lover....

long story short, I put up notices, checked for a chip, asked everywhere I went,
no takers,

I had just about decided to keep the damn thing when I got a phonecall,
his owner,
to make it stranger this woman turned out to be a friend,
who I hadnt seen for some time, when she came to pick it up.

If you are a softie who takes in strays, sometimes its just a lend,
but sometimes they stay forever.

Muzz

Chimo
10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
1 to 10 ...................

sparkyice
11-01-2013, 05:32 AM
good on ya for putting in the effort.
i spied a nice looking malmute in my backyard last summer nosing about. i went out and said "hey, dog, what're up to?" he walked right over and lay at my feet. i called the number on the tag and the owner showed up straight away. rudest prick i'd met in a long time. dog wanted to stay with me, he had to get out of the van and shoehorn him through the door. never said thanks or get stuffed or nothin, just drove off.

the bastard. no wonder the dog went for a walk.

4x4frog
16-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Great going Chimo....may someone pay a favour forward for you someday too.

Last time I was in Childers, a friend and I found a Samoid walking along the road about 15km from town.
He'd broken free of a property as his owner left for Bundy that morning.
Lovely dog. They came by late that afternoon to collect him. Bought us dinner too, lovely folks, very grateful

hehehehehe .....nice thread

I had a VERY cute kitten turn up at my door about a year ago, so I let it in....
MUCH to the disgust of my now 9 yr old cat,

YES ......im a pussy lover....

long story short, I put up notices, checked for a chip, asked everywhere I went,
no takers,

I had just about decided to keep the damn thing when I got a phonecall,
his owner,
to make it stranger this woman turned out to be a friend,
who I hadnt seen for some time, when she came to pick it up.

If you are a softie who takes in strays, sometimes its just a lend,
but sometimes they stay forever.

Muzz

OK, who cares what happened to the kitty, what about the owner???

onerabbit
19-01-2013, 02:30 PM
no good to me.........i'm very happily married