PDA

View Full Version : lighting methods diagram

dnej
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqinternet/msqimages/safety/navigation%20lights/nav_lights_l.ashx

For those that have been asking about navigation lights, I thought this might help. Note the use of the stern light in combination,to give the all round white.
David

deckie
03-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Would this be a reasonable and correct interpretation for the average tralierboat ?

OPERATION UNDERWAY (vessels under 12m)
All round white light: ON
A minimum of a single all round white light with a completely uninterrupted 360 deg field of vision that can be seen for 2NM. Fitted in accordance with requirements outlined below.
Sidelights (red and green): ON
A minimum of one red (port/left side) and one green (starboard/right side) side lights that can be clearly seen to both the front and to the sides of the vessel for 2NM.

When underway both the red and green sidelights as well as all round white light (plus any additional white stern light if required, see below) are to remain on.

OPERATION AT ANCHOR (vessels under 12m)
All round white light: ON
The all round white light must be on at all times between sunset and sunrise and have an uninterrupted field of vision for 2NM.
Sidelights (red and green): OFF
Sidelights to be operating only when underway, hence must be turned off after vessel is anchored or tied up.

TYPE AND FITTING REQUIREMENTS :
You are required to fit all navigation lights in accordance with the above operational safety regulations. All lights visible for 2NM and placed in such a way that they cannot be obscured by anything or anyone onboard as set out below.

Sidelights (red and green):
Preferably separate but can be of a combined type.
Both Red/Port/Left and Green/Starboard/Right lights to be fitted above the gunwhale and in such a way that will have an uninterrupted vision to both the sides and forward of the vessel. If a combined type is fitted these must comply with same uninterrupted vision from sides and front of vessel as per separate sidelights.
To be ON when underway only.

All round white light:
To be fitted as close to centreline of boat as practical as well as a minimum height of 1m ABOVE red and green sidelights. Must be fitted such that it is completely visible from all angles (360 degree) around the vessel. i.e. Without being obscured in any way by anything or anyone onboard.
An additional "stern white light" that is visible only to the rear of the vessel is also required only if the all round white light does not create uninterrupted appearance to the rear of the vessel. Any additional if necessary stern light must be white and fitted so it cannot be obscured by engines, superstructure, accessories, occupants or anything else when viewed from behind the vessel, and should only be visible to rear. It is not a substitute for the required all round white light.
Lighting has a detrimental effect on operator vision and perspective at night. All lights should be fitted such that they are not in direct sight looking forward from helm.
To be left ON at all times between sunset and sunrise.

dnej
03-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Lighting has a detrimental effect on operator vision and perspective at night. All lights should be fitted such that they are not in direct sight looking forward from helm.

And that is the main reason skippers turn them off while travelling. However, a bit of tape at the rear of the cover, allows better vision. To do this , a combination of "stern white light" and the taped lense, still provides an all round white, as per the diagram.
Mine is on my bait boat at the stern.

If you have a folding stern light,that forms part of the combined "all round white",as mentioned abpve, the vision is also an issue looking to the stern, so again, a bit of tape on the bow side, fixes that.
NB a folding stern light does not necessarily provide an all round white light, on its own, like some think.
David

Noelm
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
not too sure why this causes so much confusion! the rules are quite clear, but some people just don't get it! maybe the 'fine print" about heights of lights and so on might be a bit fuzzy, but the all round, red and green is a simple concept.

cormorant
03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Does the stern light have to be 1m above the line of the red green lights? A grub in uniform on NYE was trying that one on.

Richo1
03-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Yes it does, looked into every angle can't find anyway around it.

cormorant
03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
It isn't on any ocean going ship?

dnej
03-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Richo,
if the stern light is used in combination, with a mast head type,then it would not matter, as the port and starboard are forward facing only.
You cannot see them from the stern. So no point in having the stern light above the navigation lights.
However, in an open boat where the stern light is the all round white,then yes to the height requirements.
David

Richo1
03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Didn't read it properly

Richo1
03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes it does, looked into every angle can't find anyway around it.

Sorry didn't read it properly, stern light doesn't have to be higher than side lights. Only your Masthead and/ or your all-round light.

deckie
03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
not too sure why this causes so much confusion! the rules are quite clear, but some people just don't get it! maybe the 'fine print" about heights of lights and so on might be a bit fuzzy, but the all round, red and green is a simple concept.
I'm the opposite noelm...for those of us who regularly use them its second nature when we read it. But i had another look at their latest website effort and it is STILL a bit confusing IFF you imagine yourself as not knowing what to do. Plus there's now a penchant for using the term "masthead light" thrown into the mix as well as all round light, sidelights, sternlights and navigation lights...PLUS they are vague on fitting/placement PLUS vague on stern light regulations etc.

Its like they're desperate to shorten the wording of everything and prefer to have pretty pictures that dont tell the whole story...more suited to a little golden book for kids than to something they wish to enforce with a big stick.

You;re right re the all round/red/green being a simple concept, but still amazing how many even experienced guys didnt even realise you were meant to have the white on all the time and red/green off at rest. Was a thread in here not long ago was a real eye opener.

deckie
03-01-2013, 02:37 PM
I;ve got a bee in my bonnet lately about kayaks and those cocked olympic type rowboats with a total of 9 onboard.
Its not till you get a scare u'd understand just how hard to spot they can be.

You leave say Roseville ramp in dark and you've got the hammer down in Middle Harbour thinking about live bait in the tank and kingies taking line...you try your best to keep an eye out for 15 Grant Kenny's, 10 tricked out fishing yaks and half a dozen rowers practicing for their next race...its all fine and dandy when you're doing 30 knots with waterfront lights about but they're so damn low in the water its near impossible to see them in some conditions away from lit up areas. Add some light surface mist and i'll drop down to a crawl hoping like hell one doesnt appear in front of me.
Not something new coz always dealt with it and allowed for it in this part of the world...just that there's a serious possibility of a major major accident at any time. Especially the poor buggers in those olympic type rowboats.
Just seems a bit bizarre they'd try to be so bloody minded and heavy handed with boaties that are at least making an effort with their lighting...only to seem happy to have a bunch of vulnerable people moving about almost invisible. Nothing to do with speeds, they just need to be safer when venturing amongst larger faster vessels.

TheRealAndy
03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I;ve got a bee in my bonnet lately about kayaks and those cocked olympic type rowboats with a total of 9 onboard.
Its not till you get a scare u'd understand just how hard to spot they can be.

There has been a couple of crashes between the ferries and rowers in the brissie river. Pretty sure there is a bylaw in addition to colregs that requires the rowers to have a strobe or something now. Of course this is only a local law.

BTW, the all round white light is an option to the standard stern/masthead white light and is only for boats under 12m. The rule is there for simplicity for smaller vessels.