PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab choice

Essence
01-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Hi guys, am researching trim tabs for Whitley 2080 and was wondering if anyone has experience with minn Kota electric ones., I thought Lenovo or Bennett were the only choices, then seen a boat on hwy with mk and they looked like a neater fit.
Very little room at back (outboard), and with transducers etc.
All comments really appreciated.

Essence
01-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I meant Lenco, silly autocorrect thingy

Apollo
01-01-2013, 08:32 AM
I have bennetts and I know plenty that have lenco. Both of these have a very good rep and for a very good reason. Can't offer meaningful insight on the MKs

uripper
01-01-2013, 09:22 AM
I have had fitted and used (on different boats) both Bennett hydraulic and Lenco electric tabs over the past few years.

IMHO …. Lenco electric is far superior in simplicity, quality and performance.

Mal

Darren Mc
01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Hey Essence,

I had Minn Kota on my last boat and they were great. Never had any problems, basic simple design and i miss them dearly. Now i'm just trying to save up for another set for my new boat. BLA sell them. A set for my boat (5.85m glass) are approx $1300 for the kit which includes an LED position indicator switch.

Cheers.

ozscott
01-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I liked the simplicity of a straight hydraulic ram in the water that Bennetts offer and thats what I fitted. Dead easy to fit myself some years ago now and they are fantastic. Strong and never misses a beat. The aftermarket service, many years out of warranty will amaze. See the Tabman's board on Thehulltruth.com and you will see him sending free stuff to replace the odd failure 15-20 years post purchase.

Lencos seem to have a good reputation also and I know people who have them.

Cheers

thylacene
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Can't offer an opinion on MK, but have just fitted a set of Lencos and very happy. While price was a consideration, it was not the be all and end all. I liked the simplicity of the Lenco setup, deutsch plug waterproof connectors, and the electric screw is a sealed unit. I looked into Bennett's however space to locate the hydraulic pump and ease of routing for hydraulic lines were issues that the use of electric tabs meant I didn't have to deal with.

I scored the Lencos for $600 landed from fleabay, and spent a weekend fitting, with the installation taking longer as I had to relocate the transducer and patch some holes in the transom, but the actual fitting of the tabs was a breeze. Good instructions, and relatively simple, minimal wiring involved. A 12 volt feed, an earth and an ignition feed for the auto retract.

There is a risk that an actuator may eventually fail, and that the tab could be in the down position if this occurs, worst case scenario, remove the top mounting bolt and tie the actuator up with some rope.

Regardless of which you choose, it is almost certain that they will improve the ride. Being able to keep the nose down into a head or quarter sea makes such a difference. between that and being able to correct for wind list, they give good value for money.

Cheers

Thy

gofishin
01-01-2013, 09:51 PM
I have had MK trim tabs for nearly 4 years now and rate them the best I have owned and used. However, like everything, personal choice obviously comes into it.

I have posted a few times over the years 'about them', so do a search & you'll come up with a bit of reading material.

Here is one link ... Not sure it will work as I am posting from my phone!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=162385

Cheers
Brendon

Essence
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi, thanks everyone, taking essy out today and will spend a fair bit of time looking at other boats bums! At least without too much breeze and an extra decky we will run upright!
Will need to chat with regular servicing dealer, I think it will be either lenco or mk, after mucking around with tape measure yesterday.........
Cheers

Chimo
02-01-2013, 07:34 AM
I have 9 by 9 Lencos on the Vagabond with twin 115HPs oil bottles and 4 batteries in the tail and they are all that Seafarer reckoned (rightly) that it needed. They are excellent and easy to operate even with out the led indicator lights. No matter what you put on you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner

Happy New Year
Chimo