PDA

View Full Version : Salt.

wayno60
29-12-2012, 08:40 PM
is there any chemical or concocksion that breaks down salt?

Gon Fishun
29-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Yep.
Fish n Chips
Rump steak.
T bone.
Tomatoes.
The list goes on.;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.
There is a thread on here that had a lot of useful info in regards to salt breakdown, dissolving etc.
One of the other guys will remember it, or you might search for flushing engines. ???

lethal
29-12-2012, 09:16 PM
a marine mech advised me once to spray my trailer with brake cleaner when i pull it out of the water to stop corrosion. but i dont know

Horse
30-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Water disolves salt. If its dried along with Calcium and other minerals then vinegar usually does the trick. If the deposits are too heavy then CLR would do the trick

Grim Reefer 750
30-12-2012, 05:57 AM
One product on the market is Saltaway-does both engine flush, boat and trailer wash. Personally any good detergent on the boat boat & trailer does the trick.
http://www.salt-away.com.au/

Cheers Don

Roughasguts
30-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Hot soapy water disolves Salt.

Cheers

MudRiverDan
30-12-2012, 04:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

There is a link, water dissolves most salts, well sea salt anyway and the reaction around rusting metals is basically the water + salt + iron = rust.

It is chemistry... but have a read, it would explain why most rust prevention uses a chemical barrier from water ie, oil, grease, marine type paint, resin marine paints...

I did not mention the electro-chemical methods as I have not used them, and do not know a whole lot of their efficiency and type, I think galvanization roughly fits in here too, because of the electro chemical properties of zinc..

The best rust proofing I have ever used is Bar rust 235 with ultra prime primer and a submersible grade sand blast.

Only used it for fresh and it was for some equipment (small scale) but kind of gives you an idea of the measures that have to be taken to keep salt and water (or just water) away from iron.

Happy New Year!
My rave is over.
Dan