PDA

View Full Version : quik qeustion

Donkeyzmilk
29-12-2012, 04:20 PM
im heading out for a night or 2 in me boat tomorrow..

just wanting know the laws about drinking onboard a boat ? i know it is same a vehicle if you are driving..

can i have a few ales if the boat is anchored up for the night ?

Triple
29-12-2012, 04:30 PM
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/Alcohol-rules.aspx

Recreational ships

The skipper must have a blood alcohol limit of less than 0.05, the same rules as on the road. The skipper is also responsible for the safety of the passengers and should be responsible for their alcohol consumption. The effects of alcohol are enhanced while on the water due to the sun, wind, waves and constant motion. Reflexes and response times to emergencies are slowed and swimming ability deteriorates considerably.

Skippers of recreational boats should also be aware that, when their boat is anchored, it may still be considered to be used for navigation, and the blood alcohol limit applies. The limit does not change unless the boat is securely moored in a marina, to a jetty or wharf or on a swing mooring.

ozynorts
29-12-2012, 04:31 PM
The same rules apply as for a car I believe mate.
http://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/safety/boating-safety.html
An anchor doesn't count as a swing mooring I don't think but I may be wrong.
Cheers
Ozy

ozynorts
29-12-2012, 04:34 PM
This one explains it a little better.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/Alcohol-rules.aspx

Humdinger
29-12-2012, 04:37 PM
well that sucks

Donkeyzmilk
29-12-2012, 06:45 PM
thx for the info fella's , not what i was hoping for really , damn fun police !

SandStorm
29-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Drinking boating and driving are never a good combination imo, I like to have a drink after everything is washed down and put away. I feel as though I deserve it then

goat boy
29-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I guess the real stickler is the statement "it may still be considered to be used for navigation". Depends on where you're going and what you're doing. I have had this conversation with some Police officers and while I understand that different people (ie officers) may see the rules differently or feel differently on a given day, you may or may not be booked, given your situation if you are to be caught and/or breatho'd.
Stay safe and think safe no matter what you choose, in the end, just like a car, a stupid drinking moment isn't worth any of the consequences.

deckie
29-12-2012, 08:50 PM
...and dont take a leak off the boat either. Thats breaking the law too.

Make sure your trip complies to all the moral and ethical codes of conduct, ensure all children are kept in a plastic bubble till back on dry land, take the correct number of rods baited with just the right amount of correctly acquired and numbered baits for a set number of fish... and have all your papers in order in case any one of 18 authorities wish to question you about anything.

Have fun.

Yours faithfully
Josef Stalin
(General Manager, Waterways)

dugggy
29-12-2012, 10:03 PM
....well said.......

thelump
31-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Talked to the water police this morning to ask about this for tonight and as far as he was concerned if you are anchored up in a protected area (ie tipplers) and your intention is to stay there the night and sleep on your boat then they will be fine with that.

wags on the water
31-12-2012, 08:34 AM
I think it would be hard to use as a navigational tool if anchored in the wet bit and to the tree on the beach with the keys on the floor......

wags on the water
31-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Talked to the water police this morning to ask about this for tonight and as far as he was concerned if you are anchored up in a protected area (ie tipplers) and your intention is to stay there the night and sleep on your boat then they will be fine with that.

So what you're saying is the water police are changing the rules to suit themselves???? So why not change the law?

Vitamin Sea
31-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Any given week end over at Tangas or the like I'm sure they could book 3 out of 4 boats anchored up for the night if they wanted to. It's a bit of a unwritten law, as Maccca has alluded to if your anchored up in a designated area with no intention of going anywhere they tend to turn a blind eye, it's only when people start yahooing on boats that receive attention.

But technically if they pull up along side and you go over .05 your gone.

Cheers

VS

thelump
01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
So what you're saying is the water police are changing the rules to suit themselves???? So why not change the law?

Only saying what they told me Wags. He was quite pleasant to talk to and as VS has said it seems to be an unwritten law. He also told me "we're not out to ruin anyone's night". Just reporting what was said.

WalrusLike
01-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah.... Peeing off back of boat... Stupid law says if you do that you are a sex offender. Exposing yourself in public view.

Having said that.... I have tested it a time or two and no problems so far. :)

sleepygreg
02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
would much rather they pi$$ in a bucket and chuck it over the side than dribble all over the boat!!!!!!!!!!!