PDA

View Full Version : Need new anchor and 8 plait...

ozscott
28-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I never anchor near sunken wrecks...until today. Lost my 16 pound Manson plough and 5 m of chain. I have a solid Maxwell horizontal windlass and my 3 strand nylon rode was getting old and pig tailing and getting knotted. This windlass, unlike my old South Pacific can handle an all chain rode.I'm thinking 10m of short link and 50m of 8 plait soft. I really liked the plough but wondering if I should go a MANSON Supreme or Sarca etc. Mostly anchor in the bay and the pin, so mud and sand.

Any suggestions as to anchor for my Vagabond and where to get a good deal in the 8 plait and the best place to have it spliced to the chain are welcome.

Cheers

Grim Reefer 750
28-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Go the Sarca

rosco1974
28-12-2012, 07:36 PM
hey mate if your winch takes 12 mm rope i have a 10mtrs of shortlink chain and 100 mtrs of 8 plait rope here.let me know..

ozscott
28-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi mate... 6 or 7 mm short link and 12mm rope.

Cheers

DaveNkelly
28-12-2012, 08:47 PM
what type of bow roller are you using for the sarca/manson anchor?

I'm re-doing my whole anchor set up with a new winch etc and have to buy 8mm shortlink and 14mm rope, shame you are not in FNQ and I have 100m of 12mm 3 strand and 10mm of 6mm shortlink used about 10 times thats about to collect dust in the shed.

rosco1974
29-12-2012, 06:53 AM
cannot remember the chain size will measure it later and let you know

myusernam
29-12-2012, 09:54 AM
i dont rate sarcas. I hove found many on the bottom but I guess I get top dollar for them when I resell them so I shouldn't complain.

Why not use a danforth for the sand and a reef pick for reef? You shoud always carry a second anchor for safety anyway. When I anchor on wrecks I usually use a danforth and drop it in front. Anything else will probably drag. On the reef I use a reef pick. Anything else is more likely to foul. combination anchors are a poor compromise and you can replace many normal anchors for the price of one.

ozscott
29-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks mate. I had 2 extra large sand anchors on board...

Do sarcas get stuck more? I see in another current thread Grand Marlin rates the Mason over the Sarca...

Cheers

myusernam
29-12-2012, 03:08 PM
i think they are all overpiced for what they are. check out a few reviews. there are full on scientific studies on them

ozscott
30-12-2012, 07:18 AM
I will add the Mason Boss into the mix... Anyone used one?

Cheers

DaveNkelly
30-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Ozscott,

I think we are both looking for an answer that we both cant find..lol.

do you have a bowroller?
I'm one step behind you as I'm in the process of trying to find a roller that will accept all types of anchors and that is a mission in it's self, If i can find the type of roller i'm looking for then I will probably look at one of the manson range also.

DaveNkelly
30-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I will add the Mason Boss into the mix... Anyone used one?

Cheers

I emailed Manson last night regarding if the 'BOSS' could be bought over here, where website states that whitworths have there full range but I couldn't see in on there... I'll post there reply if I ever get one..

swof63
30-12-2012, 09:04 AM
When I was chasing them I rang either ch smith or whitworths ( cant remember ) as they claimed to have the Manson range. I was told they could not get the Boss and gave me the number of the Australian importer to complain!

I got mine from Wests in US, ordered Friday afternoon arrived Tuesday morning - cant complain about that. Ridiculous situation though on the part of the local retailer and importer, they've no forced me to educate myself and have exposure to an internationall supplier where I now have an account for future purchases! I'd prefer to buy local but gosh they can make it hard.

Love the anchor by the way.

Cheers
Craig

DaveNkelly
30-12-2012, 09:42 AM
When I was chasing them I rang either ch smith or whitworths ( cant remember ) as they claimed to have the Manson range. I was told they could not get the Boss and gave me the number of the Australian importer to complain!

I got mine from Wests in US, ordered Friday afternoon arrived Tuesday morning - cant complain about that. Ridiculous situation though on the part of the local retailer and importer, they've no forced me to educate myself and have exposure to an internationall supplier where I now have an account for future purchases! I'd prefer to buy local but gosh they can make it hard.

Love the anchor by the way.

Cheers
Craig

Do you remember what postage cost you?

deckie
30-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Sheesh..if you could import an anchor at anywhere near reasonable prices...then something truly aint right.

I find lots of 4 letter words and teeth gnashing helps with stuck anchors. That wreck must have a fair bit of bling. Good luck hunting down a new one.

Nicko_Cairns
30-12-2012, 12:58 PM
you could also contact a local diving club, tell them you'll give $50 to anyone that can grab the anchor for you and give them the co-ords (unless it's a great spot), if it's an interesting dive and not too deep someone will grab it.

swof63
30-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Do you remember what postage cost you?

Yeah, not cheap. Was around A$130 from memory, but anchor was only 170 or 180 I think which makes it a $300 anchor, not cheap but not outrageously different to many of the other "super" anchors available locally.

The fact that it really works well makes the amount I paid for it okay.

Cheers
Craig

ozscott
30-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks fellas.

Mate we are looking for a way of mouting a new style anchor. From me inquiries the Sarca is too long in the shank for my current roller setup - it would run into the windlass. The Manson Boss is probably too long in the flukes. The Delta is too long in both areas. I dont like the Rocna for various reasons. I am left with the Manson Supreme and it will probably fit if I weld by swing section of the bowsprit roller so that its angle is only very slight - allowing for self launching, but holding the flukes away from the hull and just having enough length for the shank.

Here was my setup... http://s1074.beta.photobucket.com/user/landroverphile/media/20120729_150108.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

http://s1074.beta.photobucket.com/user/landroverphile/media/20120729_150023.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11

http://s1074.beta.photobucket.com/user/landroverphile/media/20120729_150058.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

You can see that because of the lack of a formed sprit I have little room. I cant mount the Maxwell any further back due to the hatch. Tight as a fishes.

ozscott
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Pretty much set on the Supreme. Manson dont seem to have imported Boss into Aus yet. Winchsolutions is the cheapest, but not open for another week and I need to get this sorted. Whitvorths are to exxy. Any other suppliers? Also is the Ebay 8 plait the same quality as the Lewmar that Winchsolutions sells?

Cheers

Chimo
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Hey Oz

Why don't you go for a dive and get yours back. If you can't dive surely one of the local divers off here could go with you and grab it.
How deep was the spot you lost it anyhoo?

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Mate its in about 10m. I need to replace the 3 strand with 8 plait to get the rope laying properly in the locker. I could pick up a second hand Manson Plough very cheaply (bout the cost of a dive) but would prefer a Supreme especially setting the anchor in mud on short rope due to space restrictions in several anchorages I frequent.

Cheers

Chimo
02-01-2013, 03:29 PM
You could free dive to that if you took a decent sized rock with you and had a another line and a clip!

Disappointed in you buddy, what a way to start the year!

All the best for a good one mate

Chimo

ozscott
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
No free diving for me in the murk off peel mate!

Thanks Chimo.. Likewise.

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
02-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I've got a good idea for you Oz. Why don't you invite Chimo out with a few bricks, I'm sure that's what he's hinting at.

Have a look at the mud magnet from Lone Star, supposed to be good although I don't know the shank length.

Chimo
02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
JJ

Based on Oz's advice I'll only do it if you bring up one of the ab cages from SA and a hooka to go with it. I also assume Oz that you tied a float to the end of the line that will surface briefly at low tide? Otherwise the deals off

Is that mud magnet any relation to chick magnet? Happy New Year to you too JJ.

C
C

Jarrah Jack
02-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks Chimo, and to you too mate, and our legal eagle and 2 stroke maestro.

Chick magnets and central vic ?.................no wonder you moved to the GC. You must've seen those meter maids while watching this day tonight and packed the next day, off to the promised land.

ozscott
02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Cheers Fellas. Yep the men in grey suits love it there and you wouldn't see them coming.

Cheers

Nicko_Cairns
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
a scuba diver would grab it for you, see my post above for ideas.

ovakil
06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I scuba,if you want to take me out.I'll grab it for you.
Is anchor near platypus wreck,only one I can think of.
Cheers

Chimo
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Anyone know how to do a splice join for Oz so he can join his lost anchor line to the bit left in the boat? We are here to help mate!

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks Fellas. I have bought a new Supreme and 8 plait rope already! If anyone wants the 15pound manson plough its with the others on the sunken houseboat on the western side of Peel Is...

Cheers

ozscott
16-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Arrgh me harties! The new set up is almost complete...happy to report a large hinged roller from Whitworths allows the 15 pound Supreme to slide home on the roller and trapped by the pin. I ground a flat on the pin to stop the anchor possibly falling sideways. Photos to come after finishing tomorrow

Cheers

ozscott
17-01-2013, 06:59 PM
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w409/landroverphile/20130117_182431_zps70a21c68.jpg

It's nice and strong and thesstainless wings are bolted to the bow roller to add strength. Works nice. Bollard was ground down so it does not interfere with rode but still allows pin locking of the anchor.

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
17-01-2013, 07:56 PM
I detect an eye for nice curves there Oz. That looks a better anchor than a sarca.

ozscott
17-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks Jarra... Here is the shot with more curves

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w409/landroverphile/20130117_182926_zps5e216bec.jpg

She is also now loaded with 10m of short link chain and 8 plait 12mm nylon.

Cheers

Drew70
17-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Just some advice with that hinged setup.
I had that exact one and found the hinged section twists very very easily particulary if your running a float and pulling the line at an angle.
Mine ended up completly twisted and broken in reasonable chop and wind pulling the anchor.
You need to make sure at all costs there is no side pull on that front hinged section.

ozscott
17-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks mate. I had a smaller less strong version of that and never had a drama in Moreton bay using a 15 pound plough and electric windlass. I found that with a nice straight set up there is little lateral force as the boat moves with the pull and at anchor the front folds down and force is on the straight section.

Cheers

DaveNkelly
18-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Looks good OZ, I was also a little worried with the hinged roller about them twisting on the hinge pin,

Looks strong enough you think??

I'll have to head down to whitworths and check them out,

Cheers
Dave

ozscott
18-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Mate she will be right. That sprit, from memory is suitable to boats much larger. Also I had a much smaller one with thinner guage and never had an issue on the same boat in years of use. A mate has the same one as mine on his 22 foot reef runner and no probs.

Cheers

Edit - the front top pin is a large bolt but really it's the bottom straight section that takes the brunt of the force - because the swing section folds down. The swing only serves to allow good launch and (late in theprocess ) retrieval.