PDA

View Full Version : More Suzuki corrossion issues on DF150 K7 series

Greg P
28-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Well to say I am pissed is an understatement. I have looked after this engine like a baby since new, it has never missed a service and they have all been done by Suzuki service agents.

This morning I am headed outwide to do some trolling and heard a change of exhaust note coming from the engine. Went down the back to look and there is a hole melted through the side leg cowl near the flushing adaptor port. Pulled the pin straight away and headed back into Bribie to look at the issue. I had seen the DF140 posts regarding there issues and low and behold here is the same issue on the DF150. I strongly urge any one with one of these or the DF175 engines to get them inspected while still in warranty.

My engine was out of warranty in July and has done 543 hrs. It has been flushed on muffs and ports on every trip. Not acceptable for a saltwater engine.

Greg P
28-12-2012, 09:51 AM
More pics attached

Spaniard_King
28-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Greg,

To me that does not look like a corrosion issue, possibly a casting fault.

Dan5
28-12-2012, 10:59 AM
What ever the cause i hope Suzuki (Haines) comes to the party with either parts or labour......

Thats not a good example of their engines and you would hope they bend over backward to help you out,there were some casting issues a few years ago where under the cavitation plate was very rough aswell.........does your engine have the rough casting under the cav plate aswell by any chance?.....

Dan

honda900
28-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Greg,

Something didnt look right on your photo, it appears that the flush ports on the 140 and the 150 are in different locations. attached a photo for you to see.

Regards
HOnda.

Greg P
28-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Garry - I would actually like to think it is not corrosion as I put a lot of effort into flushing and cleaning thoroughly. Either way a shit sandwich for me I suppose.

Dan - no the castings are smooth on the leg - I remember those issues and gave a good look over at the time. Have sent an email to HSM but I will go through Keith @ Jeffers as he has always looked after me so hopefully HSM will support their dealer with some sort of commercial warranty offer. See what happens.

Honda - yeah the K7 DF150 were in a different spot, same side plus one in the front. I am not sure if there was even a plug there so maybe it is a casting issue.

tunaticer
28-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Looks to me like it may be a protective coating issue....I think it should be assumed that this is a manufacturers fault and should not be a cost borne by you.

Spaniard_King
28-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Looks to me like it may be a protective coating issue....I think it should be assumed that this is a manufacturers fault and should not be a cost borne by you.

How is this a protective coating issue, do you even know what the white stuff is in the picture??

It's baked on salt, clean that off and I bet the paintwork is faultless

Jarrah Jack
28-12-2012, 12:18 PM
If they don't come to the party the "fit for purpose" consumer protection legislation may help shake them up. Good luck with it.

Grim Reefer 750
28-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Looks like corrosion - protection coating no longer there.
Internally extreme temperature changes together with a mixture of combustion gases and moisture, causes formation of acids that corrode metal surfaces.

http://www.readinfotech.com/

Jarrah Jack
28-12-2012, 12:49 PM
How is this a protective coating issue, do you even know what the white stuff is in the picture??

It's baked on salt, clean that off and I bet the paintwork is faultless

I think he means the internal protective coating Garry. Yamaha had all sorts of problems until they started coating the insides or the engine holder with some sort of ceramic coating.

Assasin
28-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Had it before on my motor. It is not corrosion, its not a protective coating fault, it is simply a build up of calcium because it gets so hot there. i fixed it by using CLR on it. took a couple of goes but it comes off no probs.

Greg P
28-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah - not worried about the white build up. It comes off with scrubbing and it looks worse in the pic as I had not washed it and exhaust was coming through the hole. If I put a key in the hole it just opens up even further. Casting fault or internal corrosion - it just shouldn't happen.

BM
28-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I tend to agree with you Greg. If this is not an isolated incident then its really poor and a major backward step.

This sort of thing could be expected in the 60's and 70's but not present day. Our manufacturing processes (globally speaking) are too good for that.

If it is a one off then my comments don't apply.

Cheers

BM
28-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I think you will likely have a claim against the manufacturer as "not fit for purpose" based upon the anticipated lifespan of such an engine. Speak to the Cobsumer Affairs Dept in your state and get some guidance. ACCC is also very helpful. Then go back to the manufacturer in writing for an amicable resolution. If they aren't willing to assist then go via your small claims court system in your state and take action.

Items have an anticipated lifespan. A duration that the "common man" could expect the item to last for. It would appear yours has failed to last such a period and as such the manufacturer is liable for the failure, pro-rata presumably.

If you have evidence of other engines doing the same then gather up that evidence as it will strengthen your case immeasurably.

fisho8
29-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Bugger to see that Happen Greg I do hope Zuk come to the party and help you out mate. The Mercs had an issue with exaust manifolds braking at the bases from vibration it mainly occurred on the saltwater series Merc come to the party by supplying the parts free of charge but the owner had to pay for the labour to have it refitted with any engines out of warrenty Seaquest had a 8 year old 175 salwater opti down at their service centre they were doing one on and Merc supplied the parts for it free of charge. Don't think you will have too much of an issue mate seems to be a design fault by the looks.

rodneyk
29-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi Greg is that 2 bolt cover plate beside the hole inner an annode plate ???? or an access cover for something else ? hope all goes well for you as this is not what all us Suzuki owners want to see Rod

bugman
29-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Greg that us fair dinkim shit!!
That is a failure not of your making.
As everyone says I hope you get some satisfaction.
Hope your back on the water soon and I'll give you a bell when we take the big boat back to the cape.
By the way. Leanne has finally landed her first black marking after all those dramas years ago.
All the best
Brett

Spaniard_King
29-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi Greg is that 2 bolt cover plate beside the hole inner an annode plate ???? or an access cover for something else ? hope all goes well for you as this is not what all us Suzuki owners want to see Rod
Its an access cover plate to the water pressure control valve

uripper
29-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Greg - sorry to hear of your misfortune, particularly at Xmas holiday time. Faults occur, even on products known for reliability.

Your dealer is one of the best and the manufacturer has a reputation of standing behind it's product, so I would anticipate a satisfactory outcome.

I'll refrain from make any further judgement or comment because i believe with the application of some qualified expertise the true facts will usually emerge.

I also think every supplier & manufacturer should be given the opportunity to respond prior to being the topic of uninformed ranting / aka blowing wind up .... (even on a public internet forum).

Will look forward to your outcome update in the New Year.

cheers, Mal

maimai
17-01-2013, 07:07 PM
G'day mate, any up dates/news on this Suzuki problems?

Greg P
17-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Booked in for tomorrow. Hopefully back on the water quick

Smithy
25-01-2013, 07:50 AM
And the verdict is Greg?

Greg P
25-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Well looks like a very positive outcome with assistance on the parts from HSM. Keith @ Jeffers was great as was Haines Suzuki (same day go ahead to replace). Parts on order and booked in for replacement as soon as they come in. This is the reason you buy stuff locally and get support from a great dealer.

I can't find any similar issues on the DF150/175 anywhere on the interweb so looks like maybe a casting flaw and just the luck of the draw. Will know more once job done. Lot of work, powerhead off, leg off and disassemble remainder to replace engine holder.

The-easyrider
25-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Good to hear, my mate had a major corrosion with his 140 suk that was out of warranty and Suzuki came to the party and fixed it up.

uripper
26-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Well looks like a very positive outcome with assistance on the parts from HSM. Keith @ Jeffers was great as was Haines Suzuki (same day go ahead to replace). Parts on order and booked in for replacement as soon as they come in. This is the reason you buy stuff locally and get support from a great dealer.

I can't find any similar issues on the DF150/175 anywhere on the interweb so looks like maybe a casting flaw and just the luck of the draw. Will know more once job done. Lot of work, powerhead off, leg off and disassemble remainder to replace engine holder.

EXCELLENT news Greg. Keith @ Motorsport Marine & Haines Suzuki are a great combo. That job is going to cost some $$$$. Hats off to Suzuki for standing behind the product they sell, particularly 6 months out of warranty. :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

I like your engine support for travelling. Did you get that custom made? I just use a block of wood - basic but works.

Mal

backlash08
26-01-2013, 07:04 AM
great news Greg! credit to HSM!

FisHard
26-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Great news on your motor mate! Hope it continues to purr for you.
Just a suggestion: how about editing your title and/or first post to indicate the problem was fixed to your satisfaction? In the future, when guys are searching through old threads, if they don't read yours in its entirity, at least they will know you got a good outcome. Just a thought mate :)

maimai
27-01-2013, 11:03 AM

That is the best thing i have read on here for ages, good to hear