PDA

View Full Version : If only the motor would start!!!

TREVELLY
27-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Need advice.

Boat transom has been rebuilt hence motor was removed and replaced and so was the fuel tank.

Replaced tank yesterday and filled with fuel this evening and can't start the motor.

Kicks over nicely I am not sure I can successfully prime the fuel line. There is a bubble in the line that I have squeezed a million times and can't seem to get it sounding like it is pushing fuel through.

The fuel line has a filter with clear bowl which did have fuel in it till I just drained it then but I can't get the fuel sucking up the line and pushing into the bowl.

Now I have had the tank out previously and replaced it without any issues and can't understand why the motor didn't start anyway even with the fuel in the bowl.

Is there a secret to priming the line? I would have thought just squeezing the bulb should do the trick.

I don't have any fittings where I can disconnect the fuel tank and try a different fuel tank which I don't have either.

Just put 249 litres of fuel in the tank so there is plenty there waiting to be used.

Was hopeful of an early start tomorrow that has evaporated.

Was also hopeful to contact Keith from Jeffers but they are away till 14th Jan.

I am wondering about getting a syphon pump onto line at fuel bowl and suck the line full of fuel - but surely this is all something the fuel bubble should do anyway but isn't.

Any ideas - never had the motor not start and never had an issue with fuel before assuming this is the problem.

The motor is a 175hp suzuki 4 stroke.

When I got the boat back from Jeffers with motor replaced the fuel bowl was full and the ignition had their master keys in it so I expect they did start the motor as a check all was right before I got it back even with no fuel tank - but even with fuel in the bowl I couldn't get it to start or even sound like it would - all turns over nicely but no starting and I can't prime the fuel line.

I will work on it tomorrow - was hopeful to be fishing - if I get it going I will have another shot at later in the day or Saturday morning before the blow.

bigjimg
27-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Funnily enough I went to start mine this arvo and it turned over and over and over but just would not fire.I was only out last week and never had an issue.Off came the cowl and I stood there peering at pristine workmanship wondering where do I start.Then the penny dropped, Check cutout switch on lanyard....bingo,must have bumped it at some stage during the past week.Worth a look,or you diaphram in your primer bulb has let go..Jim

cormorant
27-12-2012, 11:43 PM
start with the idiot tests- not meant to insult you but just asking.

Is the arrow on the primer bulb facing the right way? Kinked hose?

Bleed it to the fuel filter?

Grab a spare spark plug - Does the motor have spark - if not look at the kill switch.

Wasn't there a famous extra wire on Zukes that needed to go back to the battery?

TREVELLY
28-12-2012, 05:46 AM
I did just remove the lead to the fuel bulb and when I squeeze the bulb it pushes air but when I release the bulb it sucks air - so yes I think one of the valves in the bulb has failed.

I also have a kink in the line where it leaves the the hull to the battery but even though I don't think this small kink is the cause I will replace bulb and fuel line and see what that does.

Yes last night I checked about the ignition location and without safety lanyard the motor wont even tick over.

The fuel line itself was never removed but yes as a matter of course I checked it last night and the arrow is in the right direction.

Yes I took the cover off the motor and yes it all looks like new and I could see nothing that looked out of place - even checked a fuse and it looked good too.

I think I need to get pressure into the fuel line - the bulb looks to be the culprit at this stage - off to boating place first thing.

lucee81
28-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Hopefully it's only the bulb and you can get on the water sooner rather than later. No doubt you would be as excited as teen about to lose his virginity only to find out no condom.

TREVELLY
28-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Just put on new fuel line and new bulb and primed the line - still wont start :-?:(

Funchy
28-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Just put on new fuel line and new bulb and primed the line - still wont start :-?:(

Bugger, good luck with it Trev

Chimo
28-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi Trev

Is the wire (White)? that powers the ECM connected direct to the battery? If I sound like I am an expert I'm not but I had a quick read of this and that wire seemed to have the potential to cause issues depending on how people installed the motor. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?164751-Suzuki-engine-problem&highlight=Suzuki+battery+wire

Good luck with it.
Happy New Year, hopefully with a running motor!

Chimo

Jarrah Jack
28-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Time to test for spark and a wire loose somewhere is my best guess now.

Hope the young fellow is recovering well.

TREVELLY
28-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Okay just primed it till it would prime no more and kicked it over for a minute or so and it started badly then hit it's strokes then run smoothly and did so for a while and now starts straight up as it should.

All seems good now.

I will leave late morning and get a parking spot from the early trippers coming home perhaps and will stay later this evening if all goes well.

TREVELLY
28-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Time to test for spark and a wire loose somewhere is my best guess now.

Hope the young fellow is recovering well.

I did check leads and fuses and have to admit they are pretty good on these newer motors all sorts of things to ensure they stay in place and fuses were all fine.

Little chappie started radiation yesterday and will be a bit sore they reckon - he is in good spirits at the moment driving his noisy remote controlled tank about the house and making a racket. He had a good Christmas and yes got spoilt :)

Anyway Huston all set for lift off.

I will do some stops and starts before I go and several offshore before I travel far too

Thanks for the tips and advice guys - appreciate ;)

hookinin
28-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Trev PM sent

TREVELLY
28-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Gaven - taken onboard and recorded :thumbsup: Appreciate