PDA

View Full Version : boat ramp amusements

ericcs
23-12-2012, 04:51 PM
would have been more amusing if i didn't have to wait 20mins to get my boat in. when they finally drove out, the boat was so far to the left, they missed all the rollers, and the outer wobble rollers on the right side were gouging into the sides, not to mention the lean!

netmaker
23-12-2012, 04:56 PM
geez mate. only 20 minutes on a weekend. you were lucky::)

Swanie1975
23-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing they said no to your offer of assistance?

Can be quite good for a laugh at times the old boat ramp.

Cheers ryan

Axl
23-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm guessing they said no to your offer of assistance?

Can be quite good for a laugh at times the old boat ramp.

Cheers ryan

You beat me to it Swanie1975 well said...........

Donkeyzmilk
23-12-2012, 05:40 PM
im getting the hang of launching and retrieving mine now , but i have done that (didn't hurt me boat but it was a messy retrieve), you find there are some very helpful people out there wiling to lend a hand, but there is always the smartarse watching you with running commentary , i always try to help people on the ramp to give payback to the advice and help fellow fisho's have given me

Todddo
23-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I really don't understand why people just stand there and watch others bugger up a loading or unloading.
Some people don't use their boats much and this time of year is the main time they get to use them.
Maybe a quick "G'day mate, need a hand?" Would turn a stressful time for them alot easier, and gets you into the water faster.
(not saying you did this ericcs just a generalized statement :) )

Agrav8_and_Lulu
23-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Not very amusing, taking the piss out of someone's misfortune, while watching the rollers gouge out the side, that's ordinary! Maybe it was their first retrieve, your knowledge might have made their boating experience alot easier and more enjoyable in the future.

Darren.

cuzzamundi
23-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Poor buggers. I hope they readjusted ok. People have to learn at some time, just like the rest of us did.

Cuzza

ericcs
23-12-2012, 06:29 PM
pictures were taken at the start to highlight the crazy parking angle. a few of us did attempt to help, he kept trying to run it onto the trailer with his engine, but it kept sliding off because of the off camber of the trailer, help is always there, but you have to accept it also!

kingcray
23-12-2012, 06:45 PM
you do see some good ones at the ramps, but most of the funny ones are just clumsy people stuffing everything up that they do. So you cant help but laugh. I launched my tinny this arv for an hour to set some pots, arrived back at ramp same time as another boat who was doing the same.
i had trouble hooking my winch strap onto the boat due to the breeze kept pushing it off the back roller.. so old mate offers his help.
Meanwhile we are both stuffing around with my tinny and his boat has floated away! so i jump in and swim after it. He winches my boat up - no problems. I drag his boat back juist over waist deep. (5mtr glass) then help him load her up. Had a long yarn about crabbing n even shared a few tips. Good fun

johncar
23-12-2012, 06:47 PM
As a side note it is becoming more common place for boaties, even novices trying to drive their boat on to a trailer that may not be designed for that purpose. I assume because they see others doing it and not realise that trailers need to be self centering for consistent success. Can't see the trailer in question but it could be a contributing factor. Seen a few try it with similar messy results, I usually can't help myself and say something about it and most times well received.

WalrusLike
23-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Maybe it just the picture... but that trailer seems shy a few rollers to me.

shincism1
23-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Some boats are a mongrel to get on the trailer. My dads ski boat he had at the time. You had to full submerge the trailer. Then I had to stand behind the boat up to my armpits in water and hold it straight as he drove out so it would sit on the wooden sliders properly. Was such a pain in the arse to get right.

LittleSkipper
24-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Laughing at other peoples mis-fortune at the boat ramp is very bad form?

If you did attempt to help then that can only mean you didn't try hard enough and gave up too easy!

One day it might be YOU that needs assistance!

We are all part of the boating fraternity and we should all help each other!

Get with the program.

Jeremy
24-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Laughing at other peoples mis-fortune at the boat ramp is very bad form?

If you did attempt to help then that can only mean you didn't try hard enough and gave up too easy!

One day it might be YOU that needs assistance!

We are all part of the boating fraternity and we should all help each other!

Get with the program.

Bit harsh. You've never met an arrogant prick at a ramp who knows it all and refuses all offers of help? I have.

LittleSkipper
24-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Bit harsh. You've never met an arrogant prick at a ramp who knows it all and refuses all offers of help? I have.

HARSH? Hmmm!!!

Salad Fingers
24-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Exactly – People need to want the help first. I have given up even offering my assistance unless someone is obviously looking like they are likely to accept it.
I’m sick of offering advice and/or assisting only to be told that _I_ don’t know what im talking about and to get back in my box basically.
Why would I bother just to be told to shutup?

If someone asks for help, I am always willing to assist and provide any advice I can.
Just last weekend, I was watching a boat travelling the wrong direction away from the ramp, in a hurry not looking where they were going.. I knew he was going to hit the sandbar and it was obvious there was a sandbar there – and my decky was wondering why I didn’t say anything to them… this is why, I knew I would have copped a strange look and probably attitude back from the other boat. Life is too short to have to take other peoples crap.

Might seem harsh - but I reached my limit years ago from coping others peoples crap.

fisho8
24-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I guess I have been lucky any help I had offered to people has been accepted have not really come across too many rude buggers in my travels we all like the same thing so a bit of common curtosey can go a long way especially when loading and unloading the more we help eachother the quicker everyone can get their boats in and out of the water so we do not have any hold up's.

Cheers Mick.

FordGT
24-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I've offered to help and been refused; then the guy smashed his boat on the pontoon and took a chunk out of it...

stevej
24-12-2012, 03:15 PM

i agree with this, your as likely to get stabbed in sdyney by helping then not helping
some peoples egos just cant handle the fact they might need assistance

upstart
24-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Even the dumbest of blokes know that you don't hog the ramp like that. If you're that crooked at reversing then you should just stay home.
Rant over.

WalrusLike
24-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I like the form of the obviously very experienced boatie who flew into the ramp area with his big boat, threw it in reverse and neatly went quickly down the vacant ramp lane.

Only thing was that there was another bloke just starting to reverse out of his trailer park into that lane and then after him was me. He probably didn't see the bloke starting to reverse because he swooped in so quickly.

Also although it only took 20 seconds from on the road to bottom of the ramp we then waited a minute or two while he undid his tightly bolted safety chain.

Now he was fast in after that, but I reckon he should've come in slowly, seen the situation and waited his turn and while waiting should've already loosened the safety enough to hand release it when down at water.

If we asked him I bet he would say he is a model boatie because he is so fast and efficient. In reality he was a bit ignorant.

hilta1
24-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes i have offered my assitance too many times just to be told "no we know what we are doing" Besides i had to learn the hard way so if it is too much effort for the selling dealer to give tuition why should i give my time? also maybe should be a course before your licence is issued maybe? I know this sounds harsh but a couple of the people i tried to help were very arrogant so now i just go about my own business, if there was a dangerous situation of course i would be there, Merry xmas From Hilta

Shawn 66
24-12-2012, 04:37 PM
I take a slightly different stance . I do a hell of a lot of solo launch and retrieve . In no way am I saying I am perfect , however I do seem to get it done with a minimum of fuss .In saying that , I figure if someone is good enough to ask me if I need a hand ( even though in most cases I do not ) good manners dictate that I accept their kind offer .
Shawn
Merry Christmas to all .

Squidlet
24-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Exactly – People need to want the help first. I have given up even offering my assistance unless someone is obviously looking like they are likely to accept it.
I’m sick of offering advice and/or assisting only to be told that _I_ don’t know what im talking about and to get back in my box basically.
Why would I bother just to be told to shutup?

If someone asks for help, I am always willing to assist and provide any advice I can.
Just last weekend, I was watching a boat travelling the wrong direction away from the ramp, in a hurry not looking where they were going.. I knew he was going to hit the sandbar and it was obvious there was a sandbar there – and my decky was wondering why I didn’t say anything to them… this is why, I knew I would have copped a strange look and probably attitude back from the other boat. Life is too short to have to take other peoples crap.

Might seem harsh - but I reached my limit years ago from coping others peoples crap.

Very true mate we do have a large population of know it all's and arrogant humans up here,but their are still good ones mixed in!!! Does shit me when people get impatient and stand their and chunter to themselves instead of offering help,costs nothing to be nice!!
Cheers Chris.

darkside
24-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I must admit, when help is offered it is nice, regardless of if it's needed or not. The other week at Spinnaker I reversed my trailer down and as I was moving to the edge where my boat was "Old Mate" has slid my boat over and helped guide it on, I could have done it on my own, have numerous times , but this guy was just helpful and decent. Believe it or not that stuck in my head as much as the boating trip, just to see some decency and commom sense at the ramp.

Humdinger
24-12-2012, 08:25 PM

well said jeremy . i have offered my help in similar circumstances only to be told to f off and mind my own business . don't think you would want to try any harder after that

johncar
24-12-2012, 09:56 PM
I just tend to get in and help, don't offer too much advice unless they ask for it. Never really had anyone get nasty and most really appreciate it.
There will always be rude people but fortunately I think they are still in the minority.