PDA

View Full Version : Wiring conduits for cat

stevemid
23-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Could you guys give me some ideas on how I should protect the engine wiring looms, control cables, and#hydraulic steering, all of which have to pass through 3 bulkheads under the cockpit and wheelhouse floors to get to the helm station?

Ive been thinking to run a 50mm PVC conduit up & down the port sponson (batteries are on port) to take battery cables back for both engines and also 2 X 50mm conduits of up and down the Stbd sponson to take two electrical + 2 morse cables per engine. I'd plan on coving these conduits right into the bulkheads. Does this sound like over/under kill?

Also I've got to run a braided plastic fresh water hose down one sponson and a salt water hose down the other. What chafe protection if any should I use where these pass through the bulkheads? If there is room in the conduit, I was thinking of running the hydraulic lines in the conduit, but if I cant get em in there do these need protection as well?

Happy Christmas everyone
Steve

Captain Seaweed
23-12-2012, 09:48 AM
-I would use split soft conduit as this would drain any moisture, I would only cover the cables where they are likely to be bumped or disturbed otherwise neatly cable tie in a bundle using plastic ties. This would make future problem solving easier and its good to have a visual check on the cabling from time to time.
-I dont believe the hydraulic cables need covering but also would tie them together so they are neat and dont move.
-I would protect the braided hoses for salt/fresh water where they enter bulkhead and anywhere they are likely to be chaffed. I would also support them through the hulls

I personally like to be able to inspect any part of the wiring or plumbing. Past experience has proved no matter how good an installation, through years of use in the salt environment maintenance issues will come up and it is easier to visually inspect the wiring and plumbing than pull it all out of a conduit.

Cheers
Marty

chris69
23-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi there steve run a spare of 50mm just to be on the safe side and smooth of your edges and keep a pull string in your pipes,and with your braided water hose id run it in a conduit for ease of replacement when it becomes hard over time or gets a bad taste to it and rap something around it were it comes out so it dosent rub on a edge,with anything going under a sealed deck i dont think there is a over kill only peice of mind,cheers Chris.

PS a good idea is to measure what is going in each conduit you might need a75mm for one run.

stevemid
24-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Chris, I've sent around a query regarding the size of the fittings on the control cables on forums for the 2 motors I have as finalists/: yam 70 and Tohatsu 50 TLDI

CATchin'Em
25-12-2012, 07:48 AM
I have mine running through PVC pipe RHS about about 75x50mm, fibreglassed in up under gunnels for the main length. then I have covered engine loom with split conduit. I run the solid pvc pipe where ever I can in straight lengths and split conduit where ever it joins. makes for easy access when problems arise. and keeps it all tidy.