PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Setting

wayno60
22-12-2012, 01:59 PM
knots or KPH???
yes i know its a boat and it should be in knots but alot of people talk in KPH from their boat.

lucee81
22-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Kilometers. When trying to work out distance vs speed I find it easier in kilometers compared to knots.

Lancair
22-12-2012, 02:17 PM
As long as you know what the km equivalent of 4knots or whatever speed restrictions are, I dont see a real problem if youre only fishing locally and not travelling between ports or longer distances requiring actual nav skills.

BUT having said that, I use only Kts/nm when on the water, after all it is the official unit of measurement on the water.

WalrusLike
22-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I use knots on water and nm for distance but calibrated the fuel flow in liters per kilometer since fuel comes in liters and everyone seems to use Klms per liter as fuel economy measure.

johncar
22-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I stick to traditional units, that's what I am used to. The only metric measurement I use is litres for fuel and I estimate my fuel as litres per NM or litres per hour.
Nothing wrong with whatever you use, it just needs to be converted when comparing with others and easy enough done.

fat-buoy
24-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I use km/h.
When I am in a 6 knot zone keep it at 10kph to stay safe even though the actual speed of 6 knots is slightly higher.. the rules generally say "6 knots no wake" so if your boat sits bum heavy and causes a big wake at slower than 6 knots then you have to go slower yet... mine sits a bit heavy on the arse that is why I generally go slightly under the limit.. any faster and I start looking like a wake boarding boat with the arse buried down :)