PDA

View Full Version : Is this Dolly the Dolphin?

castlemaine
21-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Took this photo over at Peel today.

Haji-Baba
21-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Don't know.

But last year we were fishing off Bribie and one surfaced right beside our boat and then accepted whole fresh winter whiting from my wife. Took the fish gently from her hand and rejected one which had it's neck broken. Quite obviously not up to the usual standard.

Quite a delightful experience and worth all the fish we fed it. There was a smaller one nearby but it did not seem to want to feed.

Have Fun Haji-Baba.

castlemaine
22-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Don't know.

But last year we were fishing off Bribie and one surfaced right beside our boat and then accepted whole fresh winter whiting from my wife. Took the fish gently from her hand and rejected one which had it's neck broken. Quite obviously not up to the usual standard.

Quite a delightful experience and worth all the fish we fed it. There was a smaller one nearby but it did not seem to want to feed.

Have Fun Haji-Baba.

This one too was fed by my wife by hand. It took the fish out of her hand very gently. Wouldn't touch bait, only live fish.

Had to leave the spot as all our undersize throw backs didn't make it back.

I've heard that there is a Dolphin that's fondly named 'Dolly' that frequents the area around Harries, wondering if this is it?

Lucky_Phill
22-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Dolly... has a small bite mark out of her dorsal fin. From memory.

But, I am sure there are many Dolphins in Moreton Bay that are inclinded to be hand fed from boats.

cheers

castlemaine
22-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Dolly... has a small bite mark out of her dorsal fin. From memory.

But, I am sure there are many Dolphins in Moreton Bay that are inclinded to be hand fed from boats.

cheers

This one seems to have a bite on the front and rear of the dorsal fin.

WalrusLike
22-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I think those marks look more like net or rope entanglement damage. Could be wrong though.

Moonlighter
22-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Not a good thing. The locals over at Amity have basically tamed a pod of dolphins by hand feeding them, and they have become so desensitised that that are now starting to take hooked fish from peoples lines. Next thing we will have the greenies blaming fishermen for this, when the problem has been caused by the hand feeding.

ML

Jeremy
22-12-2012, 12:59 PM
There was a very friendly dolphin which frequented the area around the ramp at Fisherman's Islands 3-4 years ago. It was removed by Seaworld (captured for their aquarium?) due to some sort of risks I believe. Shame as it is a wonderful experience for the kids (and others!)

phantomphisher
22-12-2012, 02:53 PM
My son hates tame dolphins... He catches tailor at amity point but the dolphins always hang around and take them while he's bringing them in. Yesterday he came back in a foul mood after losing 2 good ones to those "pathetic excuses for animals".