PDA

View Full Version : polycraft drifter 4.5m

Si
21-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I have been in market for a boat for awhile. It's been a 12 month painstaking process with going back and forth, around in circles over the choice of boat. I wanted a galey but cant basically cant afford it. I was then looking at a 4.55 territory but after all the stories regarding welds cracking, bad ride, ugly oxidation and corrosion of tinnys in general, I'm now leaning towards a Polycraft Drifter 4.5m. Good v shaped hull so i can handle a bit of chop in the bay and has great stability with reverse chines andvery low maintenance.

My question is how does the white colour of the polycraft hold up after a few years? Does it end up staining a bit? I think i like the blue colour better i think, although some of the other colours are bit out there. Any comments regarding the polycraft and colours?

Cheers

Fafnir
21-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I have been in a mates Brumby rear console a fair way offshore fishing off the Sunshine Coast. Ride in my opinion is good. Not as good as a glass boat but better than a tinny. It handles the chop/swell quite well and is pretty stable at rest. For low maintenance you can't go past them. I haven't heard anything negative from people who have owned a Polycraft.

My mates is blue and gets full of leaves, branches etc from time to time. Haven't noticed any staining on his. I have seen some discoloured older white ones, not badly discoloured though. If you cover it up and don't have leaves etc rotting in it then I think it would be ok.

tunaticer
21-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Go for a coloured polycraft, white refloects the sun nearly as badly as the water does.
If I was to buy one it would be in yum yum yellow....

TheRealAndy
21-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I have been in market for a boat for awhile. It's been a 12 month painstaking process with going back and forth, around in circles over the choice of boat. I wanted a galey but cant basically cant afford it. I was then looking at a 4.55 territory but after all the stories regarding welds cracking, bad ride, ugly oxidation and corrosion of tinnys in general, I'm now leaning towards a Polycraft Drifter 4.5m. Good v shaped hull so i can handle a bit of chop in the bay and has great stability with reverse chines andvery low maintenance.

My question is how does the white colour of the polycraft hold up after a few years? Does it end up staining a bit? I think i like the blue colour better i think, although some of the other colours are bit out there. Any comments regarding the polycraft and colours?

Cheers

The white holds up no problem. Mine is a 2002 hull, still looks exactly the same. The plastic has UV stabilisers in it, so it wont be a problem.

Now if you want an older model white 4.5CC then I have one for sale!!! :D

Si
21-12-2012, 07:12 PM
The white holds up no problem. Mine is a 2002 hull, still looks exactly the same. The plastic has UV stabilisers in it, so it wont be a problem.

Now if you want an older model white 4.5CC then I have one for sale!!! :D

Cheers mate. looks like a great buy actually. you must like the boat to have a few hours on the engine.

Giffo65
21-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Si

I have had my 4.55 Poly for 11 years now in white and still looks good with a clean.Stable,good for bar crossings for a little boat,and quiet.If you want to go for a fish send me a pm.Basically you can't kill em,ugly boats, but tougher than a brick shithouse !.

chris69
21-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Si if you want a Galeforce and cant afford it, have you considered building a boat a epoxy composite , no welds to crack there and you can make it how you want it, not what you have to put up with production boats,ive talked to a guy that went out on a 4.5 poly and he said its a wet boat just like many others out there.

LittleSkipper
21-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Cheers

My PolyCraft Brumby after 2.5 years out in the elements. With a cover of course.

Si
22-12-2012, 10:48 AM
My PolyCraft Brumby after 2.5 years out in the elements. With a cover of course.

nice looking boat mate. looks good. thanks.

Si
22-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Si

I have had my 4.55 Poly for 11 years now in white and still looks good with a clean.Stable,good for bar crossings for a little boat,and quiet.If you want to go for a fish send me a pm.Basically you can't kill em,ugly boats, but tougher than a brick shithouse !.

mate thanks. appreciate the offer and feedback.

Spiderpig
22-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Si if you want a Galeforce and cant afford it, have you considered building a boat a epoxy composite , no welds to crack there and you can make it how you want it, not what you have to put up with production boats,ive talked to a guy that went out on a 4.5 poly and he said its a wet boat just like many others out there.

They are no wetter than any other 4.5m open boat. I've done 350 hours in mine in just over 2 years.

I own a white 4.55 drifter centre console it rides better than most tinnies, even tinnies 3m longer than it.

The white has held up well. IMO the colours are a bit dull looking from the factory.