PDA

View Full Version : Bar Crossing. Tips. east coast.

Lucky_Phill
20-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Coastal Bar Crossings.

Probably a good time to have a think about this subject with summer about and bigger tides.

Most avid recreational anglers will , at some point cross a bar ( river mouth opening into the ocean ) and head further afield looking for prized species.

Be warned, crossing a bar is no easy feat and the two major issues that result in accidents are “ being ill-prepared / inexperience “ and “ over confidence / contempt “. IMO.

Again... IMO. There are no “ rogue waves “ simply put, the bigger waves and sets are always about and one must treat the ocean with respect... at all times.

Ideally, crossing a bar should be done on a building ( incoming ) tide, both departing and returning, but this cannot always be done. The worst possible time is at the peak of the run out tide, when the current is at it's peak ( most fastest ), and wind is against tide.

Other issues to be aware of is wind direction, other boats or vessels & visibility ( day / night/ fog ).

Things to do in preparation prior to a bar crossing.

Make sure your motor is in good working order and trimmed appropriately. down for out, up for in
Your bilge pump / s work.
All loose items are stowed and secured.
Your boat is balanced ( weight distribution .. starboard / port ).
Scuppers are open.
Nothing loose on dashboards.
Crew are wearing lifejackets if required or feel the need.
You can identify the channel... best place to cross.
Radio contact with the VMR / Coast Guard prior to and after crossing.
Be prepared to plot a course with your GPS if returning at night.
Checked the weather conditions... swell, wind, forecast.
Make sure you do a bit of house keeping ie:- crew should know where lifejackets , EPIRB and fire extinguisher are located.
Prior to crossing..... look and study the sets / waves / channel and other boats.

Here's one thing I do. Utilize a tupperware container to store car keys, mobile phones, wallets etc. If ya go over or have issues, this will float and keep items dry.

When returning through the bar...... try to “ ride “ a swell / wave in. Keep on the back of the wave to allow as much water under the boat as possible, it also assists with steering / navigation. Going over the front of a wave can cause broaching and end in tears. At all times when going out or in, keep good control of the steering wheel ( tiller ) and throttle. Work with the waves, not against them.

If in any doubt about making a crossing... out....... don't go. Simple. If you feel uncomfortable to a point of anxiety on a return trip, contact the VMR / Coast Guard and tell them. Take their advice even to a point of transferring one of their skippers to your boat and letting them pilot you in. There is no embarrassment in doing this, and is way better than risking the lives of yourself and your crew. Weather conditions can change rapidly, particularly in summer. Keep an eye out, listen in to VMR / CG weather reports on your VHF and if in doubt, call the VMR / CG and ask for an update / forecast.

cheers LP

feel free to post up your idea, experiences and tips.

Vitamin Sea
20-12-2012, 04:30 PM
No expert by ANY means but one thing I always do is make sure the anchor is secured, that could mean putting a zip (which I did sunday) or some other latch arrangement on the anchor hatch, you don't want the anchor flying out if you cop one.

Cheers

vs

fisho8
20-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I have been over the SPB twice in my mates 3000 KC sportfisher and all I can say that bar can be one very angry beast on the run out tide I had to hold my breath a few times coming in last sunday sitting on the back of a wave and having pressure waves breaking behind you. Even the Dogleg can be a challenge to going out Last sunday 2mtr swell was prdicted and it did not dissapoint a hell of alot of concentration is needed and I got airbourne out of my seat on more than 1 occasion heading out. We basically stopped at the end of the channel looked at the set's picked the nest place to cross waited for the sets to pass then hit it. Best thing I found is to go for it in between sets. Once your committed on a bar like this it is do or die IMO not for the faint hearted that is for sure your arseholes clinched all the way out haha.8-)

liltuffy
20-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Good advice Phil.

gofishin
20-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Very well said Phil!

Another important issue to be aware of is swell direction (apart from size and power/period). Be wary of many/most bars when there is a lot of E in the swell too. Some bars are protected more by headlands, and hence react differently than others to different swell directions.

During the recent PBA trip to 1770 (in Oct) we had some bad weather for 2 days (for a change ::)) and a lot of N in the swell afterwards. It was the worst I have ever seen that bar (which I would call a 'Tame' bar), and on a big run-out a couple of pressure waves swallowed one of our 685's and dumped a lot of green water over the top & in the cockpit. I came in about 10mins later and it had died a bit, but was still quite bad for that bar. I now call it "normally tame". ;D

Add: Of course its nothing like the SPB or the WBB (or many others) when they 'get going', but it just shows to treat all bars with respect.

Cheers .
Brendon

BlacknBlue
20-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Tupperware idea, brilliant!!

It floats, waterproof, transparent and can be large enough for important things

Apollo
21-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Do a Bill Corten Bar Crossing course. Worth the coin and investment in yours, your crew and your boat's safety, plus it is a bucket load of fun and you get to drive Bill's big cruisecraft liek you stole it.

ozscott
21-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Have you been using your Bill taught skills mate? I've had a shocker of a year and been out little in the Bay... Going to hit it over the break.

All the best

mattooty
21-12-2012, 06:55 AM
"Crew are wearing lifejackets if required or feel the need."

There shouldn't be any if's or but's here. ALL CREW INCLUDING YOURSELF SHOULD WEAR A LIFEJACKET! I'm not sure on QLD reg's but in NSW you're required to don a lifejacket upon crossing ANY bar.

mattooty
21-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Another hint if you can on the major rivers is to wander along the breakwalls or headlands and sit and watch other boats heading out. Watch where they wait, why they stop where they do or why they go when they do. If you're crossing a new bar ask a bloke at the ramp if you can follow them out.

Apollo
21-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Have you been using your Bill taught skills mate? I've had a shocker of a year and been out little in the Bay... Going to hit it over the break.

All the best

Been a bit of a shocker here as well, Andrew. Haven't had the chance, but have used some of the other technique we were shown and am starting to push the boat harder. All the best/

Lucky_Phill
21-12-2012, 07:07 AM
"Crew are wearing lifejackets if required or feel the need."

There shouldn't be any if's or but's here. ALL CREW INCLUDING YOURSELF SHOULD WEAR A LIFEJACKET! I'm not sure on QLD reg's but in NSW you're required to don a lifejacket upon crossing ANY bar.

IN Qld lifejackets are compulsory to be worn when crossing a bar in a vessel under 4.8mtrs ... only.

Page 29. Qld Recreational, Boating & Safety Guide 2012 - 2013 edition. Qld Govt.

LP

Lucky_Phill
21-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Further info:-

Carrying life jackets onboard your boat is compulsory. It makes sense for you and your passengers to wear them whenever you think there is a heightened risk. Wear them in busy boat lanes, bad weather and always when boating alone or at night.

Life jackets, or personal flotation devices (PFDs), are a vital piece of safety equipment on your boat or personal watercraft (PWC).

Always carry enough PFDs of the right type and size for everyone onboard.
People under 12 years of age in an open boat under 4.8 metres must wear a PFD while underway.
Ensure your inflatable PFDs are serviced by the date shown on the jacket.

Find out more information about life jacket requirements (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Life-jackets.aspx).

New stowage requirements

Boat owners or skippers must give each person on board information about where the safety equipment is kept and clearly sign where life jackets are stowed. Find out more information about the new life jacket stowage requirements (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/News-media-releases/News-life-jacket-stowage.aspx).

Last updated22 October 2012

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/MSQ-headlines/Headlines-life-jacket-competition.aspx

LP

Boat Hog
21-12-2012, 07:40 AM
National boating safety regs would be nice ....

If the bar you are crossing for the first time is fortunate enough to have a VMR/Coastguard Tower overlooking it. Drop in, introduce yourself (buy some raffle tickets!) ask questions and look, listen, learn. Best 10 a 15 minutes use of your holidays.

Cheers,

Schulzy
21-12-2012, 08:15 AM
That's a good idea ^^^

Noelm
21-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Having cossed a few of the bad NSW bars lots of times, Narooma, Port Macquarie and a few others, the biggest tip is... there is no race, there is no prize for being first out! (or in) take your time, have a good look first, and a bar does not need to be taken at full throttle, anyone who has done a lot of surfing have a good understanding of breaking waves and what is likely to happen to a wave, some have a big "shoulder" and look manacing, but in reality, a short distance away and your as safe as houses, a long line of white water complelty across an entrance needs to be thoughtfully looked at, not an impossible task, but you need to check it out before just "going for it" take care, make sure you have your life jackets on, and if in doubt, stay home, a day in the pub lamenting your day not fishing sure beats the hell out of fighting your insurance company as to why you tipped over, or worse still searching for someone 'lost" after a mishap.

cormorant
21-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Tupperware idea, brilliant!!

It floats, waterproof, transparent and can be large enough for important things

Tupperware - as amazing as it is and the locking ones are pretty secure might not survive a pounding and you may never see it again.

Buy a quality dry bag. 10-20 bucks, everything into it while dry in the car it and clip it onto the boat. Yep all the keys ( subaru keys $350 to replace , and same fo so many others) , phones etc I have lost have all been hopping in and out of tender the boat launching at the ramp. If you capsize or whatever it will still be attached to the boat and your stuff has a chance of all being together. Plenty of cheap waterproof phone covers -20 bucks that you can see through and also hear through with a lanyard for those that must look at em.

Edit . The roll op dry bags if you roll them wthheaps of air in them will make sure your stuff floatsf it gets away unlike tupperware container thatwith a wallet and keys y not have enough air to be buoyant

For those that think they will be covered by warranty and some insurance on a wet phone be aware that most new ones have a "lable" in them that indicates if it has been in water . They open em up and instantly know.

20lbsnapper
21-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, a way I found to really understand how your local bar works is to get out there on a jet ski, it lets you truly get a sense of how it all operates you can get to clearly see the channel as there is generally no white stuff and have a play around the sides. Jet skis are that quick and nimble that when a big one comes at you you can do a u turn and run. But at the end of the day when faced with an angry bar that is too big to cross confidently just call it a day turn around and go home, you have to ask yourself is it really woth it.
Cheers
Shane

FordGT
21-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Coastal Bar Crossings.

The worst possible time is at the peak of the run out tide, when the current is at it's peak ( most fastest ), and wind is against tide.

The above scenario claimed a mate's $160k sports cruiser last weekend.

Very nasty.

SunnyCoastMark
21-12-2012, 11:03 AM
My 2c:-

Lots of Boats these days - plateys especially, have a really fine entry (forefoot) - This has it's advantages, however when you are coming in through a bar - you need to make sure that you do not overtake the waves, as running down the face of the wave may result in your boat broaching (going side on) and rolling - then it's all over.

As above, but regardless of your boats hull shape or configuration - DO NOT OVERTAKE The wave that you are on. You are safe on the back of the wave - stay there until it dissapates.

Sometimes guys in bigger boats or Multihulls think they are bullet proof - all that means is you have more surface area side on - so if you do get a bit sideways - you are actually at a greater risk.

Lastly - don't be a hero and get airbourne - that is the cause of a lot of incidents. What happens is you come back down stern first - outboard underwater - stalls - then you are stuck in the break - GONE!!

Mark

GBC
21-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I couldn't agree more about not overtaking waves if you don't need to. Unfortunately some bars (wooli, bruns, brissy river etc) will develop standing pressure waves that you have to punch or you don't go anywhere. Usually only in big wind against runout tide conditions, so they definitely aren't going to be pretty. I don't have much advice other than don't be in a big rush to get home, take your time, drive around the big peaks and belly flop the ones you really have to. Amazing how many waves there are in a bar when the bastards don't go anywhere - seems to take ages to get back in.

Mrs Ronnie H
21-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi
reckon there will be lots of Bar Crossing this Christmas:) for some of you guys :)

Mrs H

WalrusLike
21-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi
reckon there will be lots of Bar Crossing this Christmas:) for some of you guys :)

Mrs H

Can be dangerous... Especially if you have Wind against Tired. :)

hooknpull
21-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I normally say to myself if the bar is shithouse it's going to be the same outside and I leave it at that..Just because I have a bigger boat now doesn't mean I can go out in worse weather, it's uncomfortable no matter what size.. Also I think life jackets should be mandatory on bars Australia wide..

Darren Mc
21-12-2012, 09:47 PM
When i'm crossing the bar i alway's stop inside or outside and everyone put's on their life jacket. It doesn't take long to do and it's sure easier doing it in the boat than in the water if something bad does happen. Sure once your out past the breakers or inside them i stop briefly and take them back off.
Also it's not a sign of weakness or inexperience to put the lifejackets on before crossing bars, if anything i think it shows experience, great commonsense and responsibility.

That's the way i look at it guy's...

Horse
21-12-2012, 10:49 PM
A lot of good info above. If in doubt pull out as you don't get many second chances on a bar. A few of the boys are hitting SPB in the morning with a reasonable swell running. It could get interesting around the middle of the runout