PDA

View Full Version : Spares on board

WalrusLike
19-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Hey fellas do you guys carry a spare prop shear pin?

I have never removed a prop but I understand if you are unlucky enough to whack a rock the shear pin goes. (Whatever that is....)

Is it useful to carry one? Would a unskilled bodgy mechanic like me be able to replace it on my Yammie 115 2 stroke while on the water?

I have spare fuses, fuel filter, oil and rudimentary tools. Any advice for me? (Other than... Stay home). :)

Spaniard_King
19-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Suggest you try a few repairs in smooth waters to see what is acheivable and whats not.

IMO your maintenance routine is your best identifier to what you will need.

Me, I take fuses and ensure all comunication gear and safety gear is appropriate and serviceable

I hit a whale in July and got towed in...prop bush went.. could I have fixed it with the right gear .. yes... would have I attempted it at sea.. NO WAY

daveo17
19-12-2012, 07:56 PM
i always keep a spare fuel primer in the boat as well as fuses duct tape zip ties.

lucee81
19-12-2012, 08:23 PM
my theory with a spare prop... If im unlucky enough to hit something with the prop that it pulls it off or damages it too much to use there is going to be other problems that i wont be going home unassisted anyway.. I have a s/s prop.
with fixes on the water carrying a heap of tools is just weight. (this is day trips not long trips) and if something did go wrong would you really know how to fix it?

Moonlighter
19-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Many years ago i had a Quinnie 4.4 runabout with a 25 Johnno. Spun a hub over at Green Island n the bay and had a spare with me. Hung over the back of the engine and with great difficulty, in pretty good conditions, managed to change prop successfully. That was when i was about 25. nearly fell in abut 5 times. Had Dad hanging onto my legs!

No chance these days.

Only other time was in a mates boat, prop spun hub halfway up Rous. Managed to find a sandbank and got out and did the swap in thigh deep water. He had about 3 spare props on board.....

But to be honest, if you carry so many spares for all the things that might happen one day, all you do is clutter up your boat and add unnecessary weight. I take some zip ties, fuses, a screwdriver with selection of bits and a multi-tool. Thats it.

Oh, and my VMR membership number!

ML

Haji-Baba
19-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Duct tape, W.D.Forty, if it is loose tape it, if tight spray.

Trying to be smart, waste of time.

I used to carry a spare prop and the tools required to do a change, very difficult if you are on your own. another boat across your stern will be more able to do the job.

A screw driver driven into a rubber spline may get you home in an emergency.

Near a beach will always be better.

As for a shear pin I would think that that is confined to small motors eg. 6 hp. or less.

Most modern big motors rely on splines on the shaft to secure the prop. Also take care to note the order of pieces from the prop shaft assembly. Don't drop the nut if changing at sea.

A good practice is to remove your prop at home to check for any fishing line and to make sure the prop will actually come off in a emergency. A little dab of grease will help a lot.

Use appropriate tools, don't damage the nuts etc.

It's all a learning curve enjoy the journey.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Dan5
19-12-2012, 09:09 PM
I carry a spare prop but i do alot of river work where it is possible to do a change out,i also carry spare prop nut and washer in case it does not work out!

Cable ties some assorted hose clamps some fuel line duct tape crc fuses bit of oil and basic tool kit thats about the extent of it really.

Dan

Triple
19-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Anyone used a prop aid? -
http://www.tackletour.com/previewpropaid.html

Feral
20-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Not specifically for on the water but I carry a few spares for making sure I get there
Bungs, spare bungs! (Nothing like finding you've lost a bung in transport after getting all the way to a remote ramp)
Trailer wheel hub
Spare keys for the boat.

Horse
20-12-2012, 05:22 AM
On big trips / remote areas I carry a spare prop, fuel bulb, filter and a few tools. Theres not much else you can do on the water

WalrusLike
20-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks fellas. I think I will add a primer bulb and leave it at that. Already got the other stuff. There's not much weight in it all and there are some nooks at the stern to keep them in.

Maintenance and VMR should get me through. I had to tow a small tinnie yesterday a short distance because his water pump died. That's what put me in mind of thinking what else I should carry.

ericcs
20-12-2012, 06:02 AM
if you do need to change or remove your prop in the middle of nowhere, and you lose your prop nut, just wrap either some tape, string, wire etc around the thread, enough to stop the prop from sliding off. as long as you ONLY put it in forward as you lower the engine, the prop will be pushing forward onto the gearbox. you can drive all day like this, just make sure you back off very slow, and raise the engine before you go into neutral, otherwise the drag will pull the prop off

finga
20-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Hey fellas do you guys carry a spare prop shear pin?

I have never removed a prop but I understand if you are unlucky enough to whack a rock the shear pin goes. (Whatever that is....)

You haven't got a shear pin matey. Your prop uses the rubber bush thingo in the prop as protection from whacking stuff.

To keep the fuses nice and dry and free from corrosion I keep them in a little plastic peanut butter jar with some talc powder.
Nothing worse then needing to use a fuse and they're a blob of white in the place you shoved them. I chuck the spare bungs in there too just so I know where they are.
The spare primer bulb I keep in a zippy bag to keep crap from getting into the ends.

I'm a bit different as I work on Murphy's principle. If I have a spare one I'll never need it so I keep the old water pump impeller (changed every year) in the big boat. That way I should never have a problem with the water pump.
I also carry a spare prop and prop nut/washer and a spanner with a lanyard on it.
And it's worked so far. Never needed any of that stuff so far :)
In the little boat I carry a few basic tools and a couple of fuses and that's it. I don't need anything else. It's a Honda :D
You watch. That's probably put the bananana curse on me. I'll spin a prop bush in the little boat for sure now over Christmas :-?

WalrusLike
20-12-2012, 06:48 AM
I hope not Finga..... you shouldn't have to pay a price like that for educating me.

I like your idea of guaranteeing you won't need it by carrying it. Worked for me too when I had a 4wd.

Crunchy
20-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Spare set of spark plugs & socket....esp for 2stk

Haji-Baba
20-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Most big motors have a split pin to keep the prop nut in place.

Any thing like a hook or a piece of wire will keep the prop on if you have lost the nut. I wouldn't recommend going into reverse.

I carry a useful kit in each boat and so far have not needed anything. T. Wood.

Finga's philophosy.

Even to two props in the little boat, it is very often we hit a log or stump and things can go pear shaped in a second. I often put the worn out prop on for Boondooma Dam up in the sticks redclawing. It is quite surprising how little speed is lost with the old prop.

We do something like 50 km. per day 4 of which is up in the dead trees. so far or prop has survived. You soon get to know where the underwater stumps and logs are.

Saves the bigger new one for open water.

As well as motors and boat things specficially have sufficient tools to do a wheel repair on the road side.

My salt water trailer is still on the replacement bearings I installed 4 years ago and I have saved the original bearings from that change for emergencies. Bearing buddies do work.

Mind you I have 4 trailers so carry a lot of spare bearings. The problem is some are falcon others are holden, I think there is actually a mixture in one trailer. Always good brand bearings.

I know, Chinese may be getting better but not in my time or for my dollars.

It's all a learning curve.

Have fun Haji-Baba

wayno60
20-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Haji-baba,
is this you philosophy?

theoldlegend
20-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks fellas. I think I will add a primer bulb and leave it at that. Already got the other stuff. There's not much weight in it all and there are some nooks at the stern to keep them in.

Maintenance and VMR should get me through. I had to tow a small tinnie yesterday a short distance because his water pump died. That's what put me in mind of thinking what else I should carry.

Now WL, could you just elaborate a bit for me?

What was the approx length of the small tinnie?

And how far approx was the short distance?

God I'm bored. Never been so bored. If I wasn't so bored I'd do something. Drinkies round the road this arvo @ 1500, so I should be getting unbored by about 1510. Hope so anyway.

TOL

Haji-Baba
20-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Hey Wayno,

Exactly. Not too good on the comp's just talk about things.

Have fun Haji-Baba

WalrusLike
20-12-2012, 02:18 PM
The tinnie was about 3.5 metres with a small ob on back. Bloke missus and child. They were broke down in canals at Moololabah. I towed him about 600 metres to the boat ramp.

Only took a few minutes. No biggee. Hope his motor prob was only minor.

Triple
20-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Haji-baba,
is this you philosophy?

Some shops sell this repair kit -
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2387/wd40andducttapeeverythi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/wd40andducttapeeverythi.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

wayno60
20-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Trip, So thats the engineers pack...

WalrusLike
20-12-2012, 08:07 PM
In case of emergency break plastic and apply liberally.

Noelm
21-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I carry nothing (well.... I do have a shifter that I used to tighten the battery terminal one day and it is still in the console, only now it is not a shifter, it is an open ender (rusted) I tried all sorts of systems to keep a few tools good, from oily soaked towel to wrap them in, to tupperware containers filled with WD40 spray, but alas... the day you need/want to use them, they have gone to god, just a pile of useless crap! as far as spares go, where do you stop? spark plugs, wheel bearing, props, fuses, tape, spanners on and on it goes, and as sure as sh!t the day you need 'something" it will be the only thing you didn't pack. I guess in a way, the "normal" fishing trips for me are short and in very populated area, the chances of being broken down, and no one being within a couple of K's would be remote at best, even out the shelf, there will be a boat in sight at amost all times, and certainly within radio range.

Eug
21-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I carry zip ties, spark plugs, select few wrenches, shifter, fuel lines, hose clamps, leatherman and other small bits and pieces in a small container. I figure if I can't fix it with them then it's probably serious enough that I'll need to call for a tow in. I should carry a spare prop/nut actually.

cormorant
21-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Hey Noel

We use the vac sealer with silica pouch in it and it keeps the dry and shiny a few select better tools and all the spares. Compact , don't rattle and to date only opened to help others out. Stops the "I'll just use the screwdrive or pliers " and they a never seen again are a rusty mark in a side pocket. I have the basic stainless multigrips, pliers and screwdrivers and a couple of allen keys in a tupperware container with a gel pack for the usual stuck zipper . I ádd a bit of insulaion tape and a length of electrical wire , spare fuses , a couple of globes for nav lights and spare batteries for the torch. , extra spare kill lanyard. For some reason mates kids find them attractive and want to know if they float. I don't find my mates kids interesting and have nearly tested if they sink.!!!

WalrusLike
21-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Lol at that one Cormorant. Good idea with the vac pac. Definitely going to do that now, thanks.