PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealers

Jarrah Jack
19-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm about to buy a vacuum sealer. Are there any tips on the do's and dont's ? Are the evilbay one's ok ?

Cheers

JJ

Dicktracey
19-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't suck bait juice into wife's vac sealer and put it away :(
Do clean wife's vac sealer and use paper towel in the top of bag to absorb juicy smell liquid ;) before it enters unit, then just hit seal button before liquid goes past paper towel !

cormorant
19-12-2012, 09:56 PM
I use sucky bags . Do a search on vac sealer and you see everyones ideas.

Horse
19-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I use a cheapie from Cabelas. The better ones can suck out a lot more moisture and still operate OK. I have to dry my stuff before vacing

Boat Hog
20-12-2012, 04:41 AM
I have one of the better ones (not a cheapskate like Horse!). It has a removable drip tray at the bottom to catch the 'juices'.

Unika brand from Munro Direct. Bought it at the local camping/caravanning/boating show.

Cheers,

Lancair
20-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Another vote for the Unika from Munro Direct, I have one and its awesome. Not the cheapest available but it works great, is easy to clean and has great suction pressure.
Pre-freeze fish fillets and other soft meat until it's firm but not completely frozen, before vac sealing.

GBC
20-12-2012, 08:31 AM
One vote sunbeam fresh keeper. Powerful enought to make my freshly made hamburger patties look like, well, something else. Bags aren't cheap whichever way you go but I think they are good value for camping and fish.

dnej
20-12-2012, 09:22 AM
search Crazy sales, and Deals direct. I have the one from deals direct. About $ 60 . Had it 7 years. Done a lot of work. Does a great job.
Would not be without one now.
David

dnej
20-12-2012, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gPfBaUrJGU&feature=player_embedded

That is the one I have. There are 58 reviews on the Deals direct site. They may help
David

Horse
21-12-2012, 05:42 AM
That is the one I have. There are 58 reviews on the Deals direct site. They may help
David

That is the one I got from Cabelas. I have had about 5 years out of it. I use bags (rolls) from Aldi or superbutcher. They are a fraction of the price of sunbeam etc and work fine

Mrs Ronnie H
21-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi
I have a Sunbeam one and wouldn't be without it. There is another thread on here on this topic so would be worth a look.

I do Fish, meat, vegies and even our bait especially if we are going camping. No blood or smells through your esky.

there are non electric ones on the market that would be worth having a look out as well as these are handy if you are camping etc.

Good luck

Mrs H

jtpython
21-12-2012, 06:15 PM
I have the Sunbeam and is awesome and use it constantly bait meat fish squid . It's the dearer one for 250 that i got for 200 a while back but if u have a Big W there they have them for 129$ dad just bought one and goes a treat
JT

Oh Gee
21-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Don't vac bread or breadrolls without freezing them first. You end up with flat dough and it won't reinflate.

Bruce Micheal
21-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Had a Sunbeam for about 4 years. Use it all the time. Rolls are a bit expensive, but it will save you heaps in the long run with food kept fresh and no freezer burns.

Ausfish
21-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Have used the Aldi one for a few years, bags are cheap there as well. They only have them once a year though.

Mrs Ronnie H
22-12-2012, 06:57 AM
here is the thread with more on Vac sealers

hope it works
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?184733-Vacuum-sealers-whats-the-go&highlight=vacuum

Ausfish
17-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Aldi have their Vacumm Sealers on sale this Saturday, 23rd Feb 2013, for $69.99 they also have the bag rolls for sale for $14.99

johncar
17-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Also had my Aldi machine for a couple of years or so and done plenty of sucking sealing still going well. Good for the price and yeah their bags seem reasonable price too.

Cheech
20-02-2013, 07:47 AM
I bought a Sunbeam a few years ago and it is crap. Worked really well for about a year, and after it was out of warranty it decided not to work properly. Only way I get it to work now is to press hard on each end and manually press the seal button when it eventually sucks out enough.

banksmister
20-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I bought a Sunbeam a few years ago and it is crap. Worked really well for about a year, and after it was out of warranty it decided not to work properly. Only way I get it to work now is to press hard on each end and manually press the seal button when it eventually sucks out enough.

Sounds like a familiar problem i had with a girl years ago.

Cheech
20-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a familiar problem i had with a girl years ago.

That's gold. :)

dnej
22-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Deals direct have vacuum sealers on special , the same as mine for under 50 follars. Good deal that one
David

mull dog
23-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Just grabbed one from Aldi today and gave it a test on a heap of bacon. Was easy to use and sealed well. Hope to get a few years out of it. Thanks for the heads up Steve and John.

Bruce Micheal
23-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Cheech, I bought a sunbeam some 6 years ago and after a year it suffered from the same problem as yours.
I managed to get a few more of the black seals that go around the vacuum chamber from sunbeam (at a price). Works fine now!!!!

charleville
27-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I bought an Aldi machine today. My local Aldi still had plenty. I guess that means that I had better go and catch some fish soon.

Just in case, I also bought a set of bongo drums. ;D

Triple
27-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah got the aldi one the other day too.. And now find myself looking at everything and anything wondering if I should vac seal it.. lucky I got a few boxes of spare rolls!

Triple
27-02-2013, 07:04 PM
And I just sent this message from my iphone that has been vac sealed to try for a cheap easy temporary waterproof case!

Ausfish
05-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Don't forget to put some foam in there, no use it being waterproof in 100 meters of water :-)

TREVELLY
05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the heads - up.

Got one and 3 boxes of bags.

Aldi at Stafford only had two left - well one now ;)

What is the normal price for the Lumina sealer?

Wife is sceptical I can catch any fish to justify the buy which is understandable considering the last two trips near 200km each for a grand total of one nannygai ;D

I will come good - kinda have too.

Just need these offshore currents to slow as well.

honda900
05-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Trev,

this year at 1770 it will be worth every cent.. then you get to reminder her every week for the whole year.. then back to 1770 (ration it out).

Regards
Honda.

sleepygreg
07-03-2013, 12:42 AM
I got one on the weekend as well. Kippa-ring Aldi had heaps - but no rolls of plastic.

TREVELLY
07-03-2013, 05:28 AM
I got one on the weekend as well. Kippa-ring Aldi had heaps - but no rolls of plastic.

Stafford had plenty of bags

odes20
07-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Hey people I've noticed a lot of comments on here re expensive bags etc, There is heaps on Ebay Aust. and This link is to a set of roles I bought recently which is really cheap and they are very very good.!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-X-VACUUM-FOOD-SEALER-ROLLS-BAG-SAVER-SEAL-STORAGE-HEAT-COMMERCIAL-GRADE-250MIC-/221196949574?pt=AU_Food_Storage&hash=item33805d9846

Dignity
12-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Wife is sceptical I can catch any fish to justify the buy which is understandable considering the last two trips near 200km each for a grand total of one nannygai ;D

I will come good - kinda have too.

Just need these offshore currents to slow as well.

Trev, offer to seal some of the food she buys, my missus now uses mine all the time, she is slightly gluten intolerant and as the gluten free bread is so expensive she now vac packs several slices at a time and freezes it, just remember to hit the seal button before it squashes the bejesus out of it. She also uses it for heaps of other stuff, meat, bacon, even special flour she buys.

I reuse a lot of the bags for bait as my missus uses freeser bags to wrap her stuff in first, I will buy a box of IQF pillies put 20 or so into into a bag and seal them before throwing them into the freezer, sometime gets squid at the right price and do the same. When the mullet are around and they chase the coral spawn they are easy to catch, I fillet them for offshore work and vac pack them then load the frames into the gutter guard bags ready for the crab pots and freeze them. Makes life a lot easier in the bait fridge.