PDA

View Full Version : Removing old bolts from a windscreen

JulianDeMarchi
18-12-2012, 11:50 AM
heya--

I'm after some advice for how to remove old bolts from a windscreen in a Stacer 474. I need to remove the windscreen, but there are two bolts in the top that are for lack of a better word "salted in place". They seem near impossible to remove without drilling.

So - what tips are there for removing old bolts that are covered in salt.

Thanks

--julian

Noelm
18-12-2012, 01:31 PM
that is just a peach of a job hey? there is no secret, just keep at it and hope, sometimes some WD40 type of thing will help, but the bolts will be corroded solid to the aluminium, I guess the heads are screw driver slotted?

JulianDeMarchi
18-12-2012, 01:59 PM
The heads are a flat-head. I soaked them in WD40 over night. Lance from reeltackle suggested I used a centre punch and try and break the salt loose.

I will stick at it! Just tying not to break anything.

Noelm
18-12-2012, 02:13 PM
yep, thought they would be slotted heads!! buggers aren't they, sometimes a "shock" will get the out, they are not salted in, they are corroded in, and they get stuck real good, when you do get them out, the hole will be all crappy and enlarged, best of luck.

juggernaut
18-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Went through a similar process with a Quintrex except they were stainless screws in an aluminium frame which I ended up snapping the heads off. Luckily I was able to access from underneath and clamp on some vise grips after spraying the screws with inox and was able to twist them out.

If you can access the bolts from underneath you could try using vise grips.

JulianDeMarchi
18-12-2012, 02:32 PM
The bolts I've got are stainless too. The nuts have already come off. This was a bit concerning, as there was only 2mm of bolt showing! not much for the vice-grips...

juggernaut
18-12-2012, 02:38 PM
OK sounds like

Plan B - impact driver
Plan C - easy outs
Plan D - hand it to someone else to sort out

thylacene
18-12-2012, 05:24 PM
You could try a soaking with Salt-X followed by a liberal application of penetrene. A block of HDPE with a hole drilled to the size of the head of the bolt/screw with a heavy weight mate to lean on it and a centre punch from the end of the bolt.

If the screw head is in good condition, it might also be worth trying a rattle gun, Cordless looks like a drill, screwdriver bit fitting and has an impact function once the tension comes up. You might be able to rattle it loose. Liberal dose of penetrene before you try.

Cheers

Thy

bigjimg
18-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Try some cotton buds soaked with vinegar applied to the bolts to get the salt to transform into a jelly like form.Then get some easy out grabit drills and drill out the head as per the instructions with the battery drill.Turn the bit around and on the heaviest clutch setting try and work it loose.All this is done with the battery drill in reverse setting.Those grabit drill bits are awesome,you can get them from good bolt supply outlets.
If that fails try Rostoff Ice,it is an aerosol freezing spray,try freezing the bolt and then use the grabit drill to twist it out.Good luck.Jim

thylacene
18-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Bigjim, thanks for the heads up on the vinegar, many uses in the future.

JulianDeMarchi
19-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll try them this weekend and report back.

JulianDeMarchi
08-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Well I got the job completed while working from home for work. ;-)

It took working on and off for a day to get everything stripped down. I ended up grinding the bolt heads off. I then ended up drilling out the screws. This was not easy, the drill kept wanting to slip off to the softer alloy.

I have now got it all back together with the new windscreen. A new windscreen cost $17. In total the job cost me $17, and I have a new windscreen that looks great! I now wanna do the rest of the windows, but will resist!

With the new steering I received from Lance at reeltackle.com.au my boat is ready for the water again! I'll be staying the night in her in the bay Friday night at mud. :)

I also had the chance to put in a new 1160GPH bilge pump using chrissy BCF vouchers and am in the process of building a new live bait tank. :)