PDA

View Full Version : Old rods and bits and pieces!

truth stretcher
14-12-2012, 09:34 PM
What are some of the old stuff you have which brings a memory back .

Was digging through some stuff at mums place the other day and came across an old "Gary Howard Borumba' overhead stick I bought I reckon over 15 years ago.
If my memory serves me correct I think I bought it off the man himself from a little tackle shop in Strathpine.
Got me thinking of when I'd fish Samsonvale Dam everyday morning and evening after work and I mean EVERYDAY.
Caught a heap of big bass on it and make me chuckle about a fishing life much simpler than the one I have now ie kids, mortage, mrs , blaah blah blah.
I remember the arvo I pulled about 7-8 big bass longer than finger tip to elbow out on my red 15+ fat bodied Mann lure in an hour or so.
I'm going back to the olds tommorrow and I'm gunna find that red manns!

Giffo65
15-12-2012, 06:21 AM
I still have the 10'6" estuary rod I made in woodwork, at Gorokan High in about 1979.I have used it heaps in the past, but not for many years now,I should dust it off and take it for a fish.

finga
15-12-2012, 07:53 AM
I thought you blokes were going to talk about old fishing gear.
1979 and 15 years old still make it still new gear to me :( :)

gruntahunta
15-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Truth Stretcher. I used to live a couple of houses away from Gay Howard many many years ago in Kallangur when he was a young bloke just starting out as a pro fishy person. Ur right it dies bring back memories, that was Omer 20 years ago.

I actuall threw out a really old Jarvis Walker fiberglass rod which was my fathers from at least 50 years ago as it had a crack in it from when we just shifted. That rodust have caught 10,000 bream in it's life time I reckon. Really good memories fishing with my late Dad in the Noosa river all night and catching a sugar bag full of bream and other fish. Back to the farm for the morning milking at Conondale.

One night we had caught a bag full and forgot to bring it in when returning the old inboard hire boat to the hire place and the bottom of the bag ripped open and lost all the fish. Does anyone remember those wooden onboard hire boats at Noosa/Tewantin?

truth stretcher
15-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Your probably right gruntahunta was more like 20 years ago. Another Kallangur bev hey. Didn't do the tewantin boats but used to grab the occasional one from bears at Dohles or hire the BBQ boats from spinnaker sound for the night.
Used to fish BIG eels out of where castle hill is now, and remember netting Gar in sweeneys reserve , you'd only catch hepatitus walking around in the river there now:P.

jerson
15-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Truth Stretcher. I used to live a couple of houses away from Gay Howard many many years ago in Kallangur when he was a young bloke just starting out as a pro fishy person. Ur right it dies bring back memories, that was Omer 20 years ago.

I actuall threw out a really old Jarvis Walker fiberglass rod which was my fathers from at least 50 years ago as it had a crack in it from when we just shifted. That rodust have caught 10,000 bream in it's life time I reckon. Really good memories fishing with my late Dad in the Noosa river all night and catching a sugar bag full of bream and other fish. Back to the farm for the morning milking at Conondale.

One night we had caught a bag full and forgot to bring it in when returning the old inboard hire boat to the hire place and the bottom of the bag ripped open and lost all the fish. Does anyone remember those wooden onboard hire boats at Noosa/Tewantin?

Grunter,

From memory, i think those boats were call T Boats in the Noosa River.
There were O Boats in the Maroochy River

Jerson.

Dug
15-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I am still using a big old Diawa eggbeater that I bought in an American PX Store in 1976

I still have some rubber floppy lures bought in about 1972

Dug
15-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Does anyone remember those wooden onboard hire boats at Noosa/Tewantin?

They are still there I think !!!

Giffo65
16-12-2012, 07:22 PM
I still have some rubber floppy lures bought in about 1972

I did not know that Durex made lures !:)

tunaticer
16-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I recently rebuilt my old Len Butterworth Cronulla light surf rod from back in the mid 70's and still use an Abu 12 overhead reel that would be about ten years older than I am and still a mighty fine bit of engineering. As for old lures, I have forgotten the names of plenty I still have. The Cotton Cordell SeaHag would be my favorite all time big surf lure for jew.

finga
17-12-2012, 07:20 AM
You just cannot beat the old 2 tier round Alvey tackle box. I inherited mine from my Poppa and still use it. It actually lives in the car just in case.
I brought a few as backups but I've never had to resort to use them.
And sitting on the computer monitor is a Celta spinner I use for perch. It's sitting there to remind me to polish the brass again.

Noelm
17-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a couple of very old screw top bottles at home that were my fathers 'tackle box" they contain a variety of hooks and stuff, all coated in what looks like vaseline, but smells like hair oil (gel to you younguns) might be Californian Poppy you think? I still look at them now and then and have a chuckle at the days he would take me "outside" fishing in the old timber "putt putt", trolling a feather (home made of course) lure out the back to catch the bait for the evenings fishing, we would troll along and he would see a boiling school of giant Kingfish, "pull that feather in" he would yell, because if one took it, even the old cord line would not be enough to stop a lost "lure" aahh, they were the days, a single sugar bag contained everything needed for a trip, the bottle of water, some old hand lines on square cork "spools", the bottles of tackle, some sheet lead, and a small jar of salted bait in case the feather did not catch the bait, we would use the salted bait to catch Yellowtail and Slimies for bait.

fat-buoy
17-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I still have my first 4" alvey reel from around the late 70's (when I got it but that was second hand even then) ... I find it very hard to throw out fishing stuff..... mind you I wish I kept my grandfather's old 12' cane fishing rod... it was pretty much rooted when I got my hands on it so I got some coat hanger wire and bent new runners and tied them on with cotton and fishing line.... as big and bulky and crap as it was that was the rod I learnt to fish with and caught plenty of whiting on it.. :)

Noelm
17-12-2012, 09:51 AM
This is probably a little bit off topic, but I thought I would add it anyway, when my father did take me fishing outside in the timber launch, it was quite a ritual, we would get a few red crabs from around the harbour for bait,(big Snapper love crabs for bait too) and he would row out to the putt putt and leave me at the old wooden jetty until he hooked up the magneto that had been dried out in the oven for a while (don’t really know why, maybe they just got damp or something), he would top up the petrol tank from a screw top lemonade (or some sort of drink bottle), wrap a leather strap around the flywheel, give it a pull and “putt,putt, putt” it would go, as I still watched from the jetty, he would race up the front, cast off the front line, engage the (forward only) gear, which was an open sort of thing with “fingers” that when you pushed the lever forward, it kind of jammed them against another part of the shaft to provide friction to drive the prop, not sure what the system was called, but it was as dangerous as all hell thinking back, He would motor over to me, gauge the speed perfectly so when he slipped it out of gear, the boat just drifted up to the jetty, there I would grab the bag, jump for my life into the boat (remember I was probably only 6-10 years old!!) dad would engage the gear again, and off we would go. When we got there, the anchor (or kellick as he called it) was a sand bag, we used that because sometimes we would be fishing on soft bottom or mussel beds! He always fished quite close to shore, and knew what was on the bottom like he could see it, he would get his hand line out of the sugar bag, cut some bait that we had trolled up on the way, (or a crab) and bait up about a 5/0 hook, add a very small amount of sheet lead, stand up and whirl the hook and sinker around and toss it out, away from the boat, to let it drift away in the current, he was very focused, the line only needed to just pull taught, and he would be on it, feeling what was fiddling around with his bait, he would have it loose between his fingers, and could tell from the vibrations/tugs on the line what was on the other end, at times he would get a short ‘run” and he would pick it up and let slide for a bit, and sometimes he would strike, other times he would just let it loose, 9 times out of ten, he would come up tight on a good fish, he would start giving me orders, grab that other line in, get the gaff, which was a short length of Mum’s broom stick and about a 10/0 hook bound on it, not long before a gleaming Snapper of around 15lbs would be boat side, and gaffed in the head and lumped into the boat, we would fish until just on dark, and up would come the “kellick” and putt, putt home we would go at a blinding speed of about 5knots! We would get to the harbour, I would have to leap out with the fish and the sugar bag as the boat drifted by, he would tie it all up, and row back to me, we’d clean the fish right there at the jetty, off home to the warm house and a nice hot tea, ahh, they were the days.

4x4frog
19-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, sure do. The old putt-putts we called them.
My grandparents lived at Boreen Point, I spent many a school holiday fishing all day everyday.

Chong
19-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi Truth,
started this thread a while back...
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?179904-Idea-for-new-section-in-forum
Cheers