PDA

View Full Version : Waders ?

Dug
14-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Ok now that I am down in Cold Victoria Margo is looking for a pair or waders for me for Xmas, both for trout streams and for what they call beach fishing down here ( both can be bloody cold )

Having never used waders before are there any brands styles or recommendations ?

BCF have neoprene and PVC, I saw a pair of what looked like a gore tex material yesterday that looked good but was a pretty tight fit on my now somewhat portly frame.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Noelm
14-12-2012, 01:05 PM
There is heaps of waders around, from heavy Vinyl sort of material with a full on gumboot attached, to the lighter neoprene sort of material, there is a lot to consider, how far will you be walking in them, how deep will the water get? will thigh high waders be OK? do you need good foot protection? decide on those sorts of things, then buy to suit! One thing though, if you have hairy legs, wear a pair of track suit pants, when the water squishes the waders against your legs, it kind of tugs at every hair!!!

Dug
14-12-2012, 01:11 PM
There is heaps of waders around, from heavy Vinyl sort of material with a full on gumboot attached, to the lighter neoprene sort of material, there is a lot to consider, how far will you be walking in them, how deep will the water get? will thigh high waders be OK? do you need good foot protection? decide on those sorts of things, then buy to suit! One thing though, if you have hairy legs, wear a pair of track suit pants, when the water squishes the waders against your legs, it kind of tugs at every hair!!!

OK I imagine that I will be either walking small ish streams for trout or beach fishing with them so one walking 2 sitting.

Chest waders would seem to be the better option for my plans I am guessing. I am probably choosing between neoprene or Nylon

Again I imagine since I am paranoid about snakes they are also added snake protection for long grass *Shudders at the thought*

I am quite hairy so will wear some form of trousers under them.

MudRiverDan
14-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I would try not to buy the Kokodas, they smell like nasty chemical rubber and are very hot.

Dan

johndeere
14-12-2012, 01:56 PM
My advice is to get a "Horne".

Noelm
14-12-2012, 02:08 PM
yep, Horne waders are quite good qality, have a look at all the shops close to you and give some a "test" walk around the shop.

Dug
14-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Horne waders Suggestions for suppliers ?

Either Gippsland or Melbourne ?

nigelr
14-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Snowbee waders, dyneema lined outers. Prolly around $150.....Mine are close to 15yo.....If you are dry you are warm. X2 on the trakky daks!

Horse
14-12-2012, 06:14 PM
If you are wading creeks looking for Trout then the boot foot most of us use for surf work in SEQ will not work very well. Stocking foot and wading boots seem to be a better option. Jump onto Cabelas or one of the other US sites and look at whats on offer. They have plenty of stout sizes as well for the well conditioned fisho;D

Noelm
17-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I would try not to buy the Kokodas, they smell like nasty chemical rubber and are very hot.

DanI noticed a sign out the front of my local tackle store this morning, Kokoda wader are only $39.95, the sign said, usually $150, not too sure if the price is good, or it is just an advertising thing, as I have never had or priced Kokoda brand.

Dug
19-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Many thanks for all the help and advice

I have found a local supplier with a good range of Snowbee nylon waders

With their advice and local knowledge I am getting a waist high pair with the neoprene stockings

MudRiverDan
19-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I noticed a sign out the front of my local tackle store this morning, Kokoda wader are only $39.95, the sign said, usually $150, not too sure if the price is good, or it is just an advertising thing, as I have never had or priced Kokoda brand.

They obviously cant give them away.
I am just saying that they made me sweat too the point that I might as well have been wading in the water anyway because when I got out of them I was drenched.
The smell they have is pretty bad too.

If you think they might be ok, try em, the price is probably closer to what they are worth and they might be ok on a cold night fishing jew off a beach.

I can't really say you shouldn't buy them, but I can say do not wear them in the daytime or warm weather.

Dan

Dug
19-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I noticed a sign out the front of my local tackle store this morning, Kokoda wader are only $39.95, the sign said, usually $150, not too sure if the price is good, or it is just an advertising thing, as I have never had or priced Kokoda brand.

Very cold weather only