PDA

View Full Version : 175hp suzuki or 200hp optimax??

JB sniper
13-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Ok guys I'm going to repower my boat, it's a v19r and think I have narrowed it down to these two motors, the 175 suzuki 4-stroke or the 200 optimax,both weigh roughly the Same and a both around the same money. Just after some feed back and thoughts on the two. Pros and cons if anybody can help me with my desicion would be appreciated.
The 225 opti is in the price range also and weighs the same as the 200.

Cheers JB

mick.j
13-12-2012, 01:23 PM
speaking just the other day to my brother in law about a few different motors, he is a marine mechanic that is not loyal to any one particular company,he mention the suzies are a little better than the opties but did mention he has worked on a little to many suzies that are having computer problems but they have low fuel consumption.If you could swing it the yahamies are really the go.

Moonlighter
13-12-2012, 01:28 PM
If you fancy the sound of a 2 stroke cement mixer with a full load on board churning away on your transom, then go with the Opti! ::)

Other than that, not much between them. Fuel economy, power, etc all much of a muchness.

The Zuke is so smooth and quiet, and no oil to add before every trip. In my books, that makes the Suzuki your best choice! The 175 has a great reputation.

mL

Greg P
13-12-2012, 02:01 PM
V19 Haines = feed it the horsepower go 200 ;D
Those optis are pretty bullet proof but the oil is PIA - wont go wrong with either but get that hull up and running with max hp

The Woo
13-12-2012, 02:16 PM
It'd perform a bunch better with the Opti, but sheesh, the racket.

What is more important to you and your fishing/boating scenario? Big time punch from the Opti, or smooth n quite from the Zuke without worrying about oils?

They're very different styles of engines.

thump-a
13-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Go the Suziki you won't be sorry
Only prob i have is not turning the moter off when i start to fish ; Bloody to quite!!!!!

Cheers

marto78
13-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Go the 225 opti if it is within your price range.

johncar
13-12-2012, 04:51 PM
It would be the 175 Zuki for me without a second thought but we are all different and only you can decide really. The opti will no doubt be more exciting and the Suzi more family friendly but either one will do a great job no doubt..

thylacene
13-12-2012, 05:14 PM
We had the same choice, the Zook won out as we predominantly fish out the front, do a fair bit of trolling, and like to be able to chat while travelling. Drove two boats, same hull as we bought with one fitted with the Opti, the other with the Suzuki.

The 200 Opti is a fraction of a second quicker onto the plane, but the noise, vibration and fumes sealed the deal. The Opti was actually cheaper at the time.

Our hull is comparable to the v19, bare hull weight 1020kg, 1800kg on the water fully fuelled without passengers, 21 degree deadrise.

The Suzuki has a nicer feel at cruise, and is a couple of knots slower, but then we have less than 10 minutes at WOT after 330 engine hours, so speed was secondary. Even pushing over two tonnes, you have to make sure everyone is hanging on when you hit the loud pedal or you will end up having to go back and pick them up ;)

JB sniper
13-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the feed back lads, I'm torn as to what to do, I don't do a great deal of trolling or anything like that but I do travel 60nm offshore regularly with a 200l esky 3-4 guys and 320 liters of fuel. the boat rides so much better at speed which is why I was leaning towards the opti but the noise and oil are a bit of a PIA. I just want economy traveling with that load doin 26+ knots. Currently I have 175 Johnson 2004 2- stroke great motor just to thirsty. I still carry 2 Gerry's when I go out and quite often use them.

Vitamin Sea
13-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the feed back lads, I'm torn as to what to do, I don't do a great deal of trolling or anything like that but I do travel 60nm offshore regularly with a 200l esky 3-4 guys and 320 liters of fuel. the boat rides so much better at speed which is why I was leaning towards the opti but the noise and oil are a bit of a PIA. I just want economy traveling with that load doin 26+ knots. Currently I have 175 Johnson 2004 2- stroke great motor just to thirsty. I still carry 2 Gerry's when I go out and quite often use them.

Biased, but so is everyone::)

If you have the extra coin, go the 225 opti, you will cruise at 28knts or better @ about 3800rpm's or so using at worst 1 litre per 1.5 k's, probably better than that.

Noisy buggers for sure, but probably not to bad in a runabout, they do reverberate around a cabin/canopy/clears.

I had the 200 on a 19C, great motor. I have some threads on here re rpm's/speed/economy.

Good weather you just eat up the miles, especially with that hull.;D

My 2c

cheers

VS

johncar
13-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Wow 60 NM out regularly, so assuming a bit of traveling around out there perhaps 130 NM for the trip.
Just to give you a bit of an idea my 660 Fisher with Suzuki DF250 at about 2.2tonne in the water would use about 175 Litres over that distance in moderate conditions. It averages about 1.3 litres per NM.
I would think that the DF175 on your boat should achieve sub 1 litre per NM at a decent cruise speed of 25 KT, but it is only an educated guess not knowing your boat and driving style etc.
I don't know what the Opti would run at.

Vitamin Sea
13-12-2012, 09:31 PM
ps: If you don't already have tabs, get them, best money you can spend on that hull.

Flex
14-12-2012, 04:08 AM
If your a heavy user always go for a 4 stroke. if your a light user the two stroke can be a better option.

Me personally I would never own a DI-2 stroke over 90hp. The cost of oil can be a real shock!. At cruise speed most DI's run at 50:1 or there abouts. so your average 150l per day offshore trip can be anywhere from $30-$60 extra in oil. Not to mention if you want to spend a week fishing somwhere you need to carry a 20l drum of oil around which is a pain I found.

...or you spill your oil on the road up to stanage bay and find the local shops dont sell the oil your outboards needs, so you now have to drive back 170km to town to get more. Only to find they just sold the last drum 3 minutes before. So you then decide to put some dodgy alternate brand in because your super keen to go fishing. Your then left with oil sensor issues 80km offshore and forced to limp home in safe mode.. Other than that DI-2strokes are great:)

But in all honesty it depends on how often you use your boat i feel if your deciding between 4 and 2 stroke

JB sniper
14-12-2012, 05:51 AM
My boat gets used at 3-4 times a month so guess you could say I use it often enough. My only thought is I have to run my current 175 at about 4500 rpm to achieve my comfy cruise speed then fuel goes through the roof. I don't really want the same problem of running Zuke at high revs still keeping the fuel consumption high. Guess it wouldn't be as bad as what I have now though. Such a big descison once the new donk is on no going back.

tenzing
14-12-2012, 06:08 AM
I have a relatively new DF175 ( a few months old , 60 hrs up already)
I changed from a DFI a75 2 stroke ( 6 cyl )
Fuel usage is down about 25%
Obviously no oil usage ( actually quite a substantial saving when you work it out.
I now truly average about 0.7 litres per km across a long trip.
I am surprised when looking at live fuel economy data that the usage does NOT in fact increase in the 4500 to low 500 rpm range. Its not quite as dramatic as you might think , and sometimes a bit faster is really no thirstier.
Everyone talks about how quiet they are, But,while they idle almost silently ,troll quietly (probably the best improvement for me) and the neighbours love how quiet it is in the driveway,
They are still a 4 cyl block and in my opinion fairly scream like a formula 1 when you hit the go faster button.
Not an unpleasant sound, but not all that quiet.
They have no smell or smoke issues ( sold on that alone)
They are a physically large donk and I needed to move a few things around to have it fit ( the yammie 225 that I had considered could not have gone on the boat as it is)
All up a no brainer really
DF175 for mine
Cheers
Brendan

Noelm
14-12-2012, 07:23 AM
now, without trying to start a 2 stroke V 4 stroke war, I dont see why every one talks about oil use, they must never change the oil and filter in their 4 strokes!!! now to answer your question, go the Suzuki (especially the 175HP) every time over an Optimax, there is no comparison.

The Woo
14-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Sure they do, but its a "once overy hundred hours or so" situation, not a "gotta top up the oil tank before we go" procedure.

thylacene
14-12-2012, 07:30 PM
now, without trying to start a 2 stroke V 4 stroke war, I dont see why every one talks about oil use, they must never change the oil and filter in their 4 strokes!!! now to answer your question, go the Suzuki (especially the 175HP) every time over an Optimax, there is no comparison.

Noelm,

Mate we do change the oil, http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?188476-Suzuki-DF175-4-stroke-300-hour-service

Oil worked at out 67 cents an hour. Perhaps some two stroke owners could provide comparitive usage.

Agree that the Zook still makes noise, but the pitch of the noise is different, and not quite as offensive to my sensitive little ears ;)

Yes I am biased, but only after conducting a real world comparison and making a conscious choice, understanding that weight was the compromise.

My mate with the same boat fitted with the 200 Opti has had a go at our outfit, and is considering a repower with a four stroke in the future as he gets a bit of seasickness induced by trolling fumes when slow trolling baits out wide with a tail wind.

We are opportunistic fishermen, and having travelled three hours to get to the coast, will often go chase a feed of flatties when conditions are less than ideal. Have left the motor running on a few occasions in reverse at idle to slow the drift enough to keep bottom in 15-20 knot winds. The drogue was useless as there was a two knot current running with the wind. You just cant do that with a two stroke, they don't like idling for that long. Probably not good practice, but it worked for the couple of days, we ate fresh flathead off the BBQ both nights.

In really calm conditions we achieve over 2km per litre, but a realistic average is closer to 1.8km to the litre, whether trolling 5-7 knots or travelling at 20 - 28 knots,over 28 consumption goes up, but seldom get to travel at those sort of speeds for long. Our outfit is 1800kg without passengers on the water, with a full height windscreen and fixed hardtop.

If I had to do it again, I would still choose the Suzuki. If your intention is to do a lot of bar work and not much trolling, the 2 stroke might be a better option, but if you spend time cruising and trolling, I would still recommend that you consider the 4 stroke as a serious option.

JB sniper
14-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the feed back lads, lot of food for thought there now. Just got to bite the bullet and get one on the back and happy days

Cheers JB

Wayne_Red
14-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Suzuki would be my choice. Reason, I find the 4 stroke power quite different for 2 stoke power in that the 4 stokes hold their power really well at any revs in any sea. I find if you want to hold 3600 revs for example in a sloppy sea they will hold the revs smoothly and without effort going into the sea and the revs dont run away in a following sea either. Something that is a little hard to explain until you have been in a boat with a 4 stroke but once you have had a 4 stoke you wouldn't go back imo.
I would suggest you ask the guys on here if there is someone in your area would take you for a spin in a 4 stroke, preferably a 175 zuke. Big decision, so you need to get it right.
And I agree with others, put tabs on the boat, best thing you could do for your boat. The change of performance is amazing. 175 zuk with QL tabs would be my choice for your 19.
Wayne

Chamelion
15-12-2012, 01:42 AM

Considering the effort one must go through to go fishing in the first place. Work to afford boat and gear, set gear up, set boat up, wash down boat (you get the idea). It seems pretty stupid to be concerned about the minute or so before each trip one must use to top up the oil tank or drop some into the tank for pre mix. You have to be a very selectively lazy person for that to be an issue.

odes20
15-12-2012, 06:52 AM
I have the 175 Zuke on my Yalta 6.0 metre. Ive done nearly 500 hours in it. I find it a great all round motor, and one thing the suzys have is great acceleration, due to their lower gear ratio. This shocks a lot of 4 stroke knockers, as they cant imagine strong acceleration in a 4 stroke. It cruises at 50 kms / Hr @ 4400 - 4500 Fuel use for me is 1.75 KM per litre accross all conditions. Rather than compare, Im just saying how happy I am with the Zuke.
Cheers.

wave dancer
15-12-2012, 07:00 AM
I would be going for the max hp that the boat is rated to or whatever max hp your budget allows. I run twin 130 2stroke yammies and dont find topping up the oil a problem. Purchase the oil in bulk and also carry a spare amount on board.

ranga7
15-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Just upgraded from a 2st 175 jono to a 175 4st suzi, i can hear my mates now and breath clean air, good investment

MyWay
15-12-2012, 05:40 PM
My optimax is noisy only on go at trolling is good and there no fumes at all
Very happy with it
Few weeks ago I came back from Fraser trip
I did 420 km on water and use 210 liters of fuel and 3 L of oil
I love it
Also just saying how happy I'm with my optimax

Warrior620
18-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Looking at doing the sme thing and narrowed it down to the same motors. But now i see the new light weight yammi 200hp is being released next year so there is another one to think about.

Noelm
18-12-2012, 08:52 AM
yep, however there comes a time when you have to "just do it" there will always be a new..... coming out "soon" not a huge fan of the bigger Yamaha 4 strokes.

Argle
18-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Just upgraded from a 2st 175 jono to a 175 4st suzi, i can hear my mates now and breath clean air, good investment

Dont know that being able to hear the mates is a good thing at times :)

Having said that I would not swap my 175 Zook for anything

Cheers

ranga7
18-12-2012, 03:02 PM
My mates are usually saying do ya want a beer and thats something i don't like to miss out on.:)
Dont know that being able to hear the mates is a good thing at times :)

Having said that I would not swap my 175 Zook for anything

Cheers

bigjudge
18-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Had a merc once let me down 50nm off shore,next boat 200 suzi never let me down,great on fuel economy and like all the other comments quiet as, go the SUZI.
CHEERS AND BEERS