PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone/Scissor outrigger mounts! Solas? Reelax? Suggestions???

thylacene
12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Have finished fitting the trim tabs, and have this weekend to fit another couple of rod holders in the floor, finish fitting the through hull scoop for the bait pump, and repair a couple of stone chips. Weather is crap for fishing, and it will be ready to go chase kings at Montague over the christmas.

With all that sorted,the next opportunity to throw money into a hole in the water is to fit some outriggers so we can chase marlin & tuna as they come through.

Looking for opinions, preferably based on personal experience of which brand of wishbone mount outrigger mounts is the better option. I am not concerned about walking around the cab, the walkway is too narrow for me to want to do so out wide, and there is a perfectly good accessible hatch if ever I need to.

I have seen the Reelax Reef Riggeqr mounts in the flesh and they look the goods, and have seen the adds for the Solas mounts, a couple of hundred cheaper and appear to be same spec, but the ads don't have detailed photos. Tigress from the states also make a set of wishbone Mounts that appear to be adjustable.

Can anyone advise if the Solas or Reelax mounts can be adjusted?

I have decided on a set of Precision Rods 15 ft telescopic poles after a long chat with Stewart. Has anyone used these at all?

Not interested in gunnel mounts at all, I can't go through the gunnel where I woudl need to mount them and the hardtop would interfere when upright for travelling, the hardtop supports do not appear to be set up for the stresses or ease of mounting, so ovhead mounts are not an option either. I also happen to like the wishbone style mounts on our boat, having seen the Reelax bases fitted up.

Views? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks

Thy

Aussie123
12-12-2012, 11:34 PM
The Reelax Reef 450's are a great mount and perfectly suit a 15ft pole.
The Reelax 4.5m (15ft) poles are $200 cheaper than the precision poles so if you were to go Reelax you would be better off matching their bases to their poles.

Smithy
13-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Stu's poles are the best. You can't compare them to Reelax or Solas. Did Stu end up with his own scissor mount? Solas have a good set of scissor mounts over there but I think they are only selling them with the alloy poles they came with. Might be worth talking them into doing that for you as they have been on the shelf for a long time now. I have had Reelax Reef Riggers on my last two boats but next boat if I had to put my own set on I would be going for the mini 600s as a minimum. Them or 1m bases depending on budget.