PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Perspective...

llourd
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
http://greatforaustralia.net/

Qlder1
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
That site seems to make out that there is bugger all green zones within 100km of the coast

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/28123/Map17-GDA94.pdf

this map shows my area , these green zones have been in since 2003, so not really the current thing , but still I find that site a bit misleading.

ps that big green area at the top of the map was where I used to predominately fish. Was a major factor in me selling my boat and giving fishing away 10 odd years ago...:(

PinHead
12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
and Ian Keirnan's credentials are?????

sharkymark2
12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Who needs Green Zones when we have so much wind! The fish are getting fat because no one is out there chasing them.

finga
13-12-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd like to see a series of maps zoomed in on the areas within the 100km zone.
How many recreational anglers venture out past the magical 100km red line?

That map is meaningless to me.
How much water has a recreational angler been locked out of that is reasonably accessible to the average punter? ie 20kms from coast

Qlder1
13-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd like to see a series of maps zoomed in on the areas within the 100km zone.
How many recreational anglers venture out past the magical 100km red line?

That map is meaningless to me.
How much water has a recreational angler been locked out of that is reasonably accessible to the average punter? ie 20kms from coast

Don't know re rest of Aus but here is most of GBRMP... lots of green there

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/zoning-permits-and-plans/zoning/zoning-maps

llourd
13-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Who needs Green Zones when we have so much wind! The fish are getting fat because no one is out there chasing them.

Too right - guess we can start calling them green winds :)

finga
13-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Don't know re rest of Aus but here is most of GBRMP... lots of green there

Yeah. Exactly what I mean.
With the link you've kindly posted they've used a series of about 18 maps for the GBRMP. And your right. A hell of a lot of green.
It's a good marketing ploy to use the scale of map they've used. Makes the blue look huge doesn't it? And where is any evidence of the green?
Even when you zoom in Moreton Bay looks like an entrance to a tidal creek and Sydney Harbour is merely a dint in the coastline
If they used a map, or series of maps, which showed areas that are readily, and reasonably, assessable to 95% of the population a whole different perspective would be given.

I wonder what the response would be if you got caught fishing in a green zone and you pulled the big Australian map out with all the blue and said "what green zone? No green zones here matey"

Schulzy
13-12-2012, 11:05 PM
The thing that gets me is the statement about fisheries management ? There idea of fisheries management is give the greens what they want and import sea food. May as well throw in the green zones to keep the people happy who want TO DO the right thing but really don't have a clue.

Schulzy
13-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Iiiiiiiiii