PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle boats

bigjudge
10-12-2012, 08:08 AM
As you can tell by the last few thread i have posted that i am upgrading from my 6m tinnie,I have asked about k/cats,markhams,hydrofields,now one more,does anyone know anything about the lifestyle boats,i watched there promo clip on you tube,are they any good ,does any one have one,let me know.
CHEERS AND BEERS

Chimo
10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
What size one do you want?

Cheers
Chimo

bigjudge
10-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Iam thinking the 6700 would be good with a 250 suzy

Chimo
10-12-2012, 11:16 AM
What about the next size up with a couple of 140HPs?

bigjudge
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Do you think 2x140 would be good enough for the 7400 if thats what you are thinking of why not twin 150s

Chimo
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
How far do you want to go and more to the point how fast?

bigjudge
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Chimo,will be looking at the 50/70 nm,I fish in the 50/60nm range with my 6m maxi,just looking for something with a bit more room for overnighters and as i still have to work want to able to get out there hopefully catch a feed and get home.My first boat i had was a bit under powered and i swore i would never have that again.The maxi had max hp which was good in knowing you had it if you needed it.Also looking at something my wife and self can stay on for a few days (3/5),so if you got any ideas throw them my way.
CHEERS AND BEERS

Chimo
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
You could camp on a Lifestyle and get there in a hurry if the water was flat but they do hit hard in any sort of sea even with suspension seating.

Two small motors that allow you to half the HP by turning one off are good as it keeps the speed down so the pain is less. Your Mrs would need to have a boyish figure too as if not there could also be pain there as well as in the back if you attempt speed in anything but a small series of ripples.

Given that you have limited time and travel a good distance IMHO I'd keep looking. Maybe a bigger cat or an even bigger mono with room for creature comforts to allow a bit of speed and staying out for the periods you indicate.

Guess it depends on the budget which you have not indicated.

Cheers
Chimo

bigjudge
10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Chimo thanks for your input i may have to just keep looking like you say,what sort of rig do you have
CHEERS AND BEERS

Chimo
11-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Seafarer Vagabond. They go fast and give a good ride esp with trim tabs to keep it level but as it comes from the factory its not a boat for your multiple overnighters. Bunks are too short in the cabin and are over the loo. We fitted a double bed at the stern that is a table with seats on three sides when lifted. You can lay on a mattress and fish but fish guts and blood can be a problem!

Cheers
Chimo

Camhawk88
11-12-2012, 08:43 AM
You could camp on a Lifestyle and get there in a hurry if the water was flat but they do hit hard in any sort of sea even with suspension seating.

Two small motors that allow you to half the HP by turning one off are good as it keeps the speed down so the pain is less. Your Mrs would need to have a boyish figure too as if not there could also be pain there as well as in the back if you attempt speed in anything but a small series of ripples.

Given that you have limited time and travel a good distance IMHO I'd keep looking. Maybe a bigger cat or an even bigger mono with room for creature comforts to allow a bit of speed and staying out for the periods you indicate.

Guess it depends on the budget which you have not indicated.

Cheers
Chimo

What has been your experience in these craft Chimo?

I initially thought they were a knock off of the old aussie whaler hulls but looking a the website they do lok a lot different with higher tunnels and different shape. I know the AWs bang into a head sea but these look better designed fro a smoother ride.

Have you been on one of the 6.5 or 7.5m models?

Chimo
11-12-2012, 10:02 AM
A guy I know ( a neighbour) has a big one that is for sale. I have spent a bit of time in it on the Broadwater and out through the seaway to the Pacific.

I was surprised just how hard it jarred and banged into any sort of head seas above a couple of feet even at quite low speeds. It comes down very hard which for a person with L4 and L5 issues is not the sort of adventure being sought. The suspension seats helped but still too many painful events for this little (insert colour) duck.. IMHO it would be a great boat on the Murray River with its accommodation and shade.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Had a look at the old 5.5m AW with the then owner of the company and he and I ran his in the surf and swells adjacent to the sand pumping jetty then ran my 5.6 aluminium mono in the same conditions and one conclusion was that the AW needed to be longer to cope better. The 6.5 AW appeared not too many months after that. The AW is a softer riding boat than the larger Lifestyle IMHO. Dont know about the shorter L but I'd be surprised if it was a lot different with a hull shape that gives water; ingested at any sort of speed off a wave / swell, not a lot of places other that up, to go.:-[