PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic transom jacking plates any good???

JB sniper
06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey, guys I want to raise my motor on my v19r 1
It 175 2-stroke Johnson. Have been told it is sitting to low and that's why my fuel economy is so high, I'm looking at repowering soon anyway. My motor is on the Highest setting now so will have to drill new holes in my transom to raise without a jacking plate. Figured if I put one on and do repower soon it's less holes in my transom. Any help or info on these would be appreciated.

Cheers
JB

finga
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Why a hydraulic plate? Why not just a jacking plate?

JB sniper
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Just have been looking at them and they look pretty good.The ability to get my motor set at the right height by the push of a button sounded to easy.

ozynorts
06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Why not wait until you repower and get it done at the same time? Or is the new donk a while away yet.

JB sniper
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
The motor I have is an 04 model with only 200hrs on it and it runs really well, it's just thirsty was told if I raise my motor it would improve my economy. But if I do this and it doesn't work I will have drilled new holes in my transom for nothing. Then when I do repower I can bolt the new motor to the jacking plate and raise or lower to suit. Only want to repower for better economy. Cheers jb

finga
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
For the number of times you need to raise or lower your engine the hydraulic plates are simply a waste of money. The hydraulics is also something else to break down when you least need/expect/want it to.
There is nothing hard in adjusting the manual bolt together plates.

How far below the water is your cavitation plate when your on the plane at the moment?
Any pictures?

JB sniper
06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
My cavitation plate is inline with the keel of boat at the moment but when I'm on the plane water is running over the top of it by about 1/2" to 1". Have only just started looking into jacking plates and saw the hydraulic ones and you dead right more to go wrong. Are the manual ones pretty good. To be honest hadn't even looked at them. Is there any particular brands that are better then others. Sorry no pics can post some of it out of the water.

myusernam
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
For the number of times you need to raise or lower your engine the hydraulic plates are simply a waste of money. The hydraulics is also something else to break down when you least need/expect/want it to.
There is nothing hard in adjusting the manual bolt together plates.

How far below the water is your cavitation plate when your on the plane at the moment?
Any pictures?

i disagree. I have seen a few on boats and heard great reports. Mainly barra boats - they say you can trim up high for the ultimate economy and speed when calm, drop back down when needed (rough) but the real advantage is in shallow esturies you can trim the motor up very high and operate a lot easier in shallow water. I want one for my longboat. they are quite cheap for what they are when imported from the states

finga
07-12-2012, 07:39 AM
i disagree. I have seen a few on boats and heard great reports. Mainly barra boats - they say you can trim up high for the ultimate economy and speed when calm, drop back down when needed (rough) but the real advantage is in shallow esturies you can trim the motor up very high and operate a lot easier in shallow water.
What depth of water and what speeds are we talking about?

myusernam
07-12-2012, 08:25 AM
What depth of water and what speeds are we talking about?
because of the setback (distance from transom) the you can lift quite high on the plane (in a calm creek), once on the plane when when you start getting too high it will vent and rev a bit higher but still keep you there. But mainly they use them for fishing on flats boats in the US at slow speeds, and also a go fast boats and ski racing.

IF anone has one with a fuel flow meter I bet the savings are significant when you raise it higher

when you think about engine height it is a compromise. when it is calm you can get away witha lot higher motor

finga
07-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I was talking about boats in Australia....
What speeds in what depths of water are people wanting to do to warrant the installation of a hydraulic jacking plate on their fishing boat?

fandtm666
07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
i have a manual jack plate i will be installing on my setup.

as for others that i know of that have jack plates on their boats they
also have manual ones and quite a few are on race boats.They will do
a manual adjustment to cater for the conditions on the day.

I got mine from the states

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Carolina-Jack-Plate?_trksid=p4340.l2563

myusernam
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
I was talking about boats in Australia....
What speeds in what depths of water are people wanting to do to warrant the installation of a hydraulic jacking plate on their fishing boat?

tropical creeks mate. There a quite a number of barra boats with them around. Get many barra down there?
google it for more info

JB sniper
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Ok getting a few comments back thanks guys. But are they any good on a reef boat in central qld or will the nasty chopp destroy em. Can the manual ones handle a flogging. Just curious if anybody has put one on a reef boat.

myusernam
07-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Ok getting a few comments back thanks guys. But are they any good on a reef boat in central qld or will the nasty chopp destroy em. Can the manual ones handle a flogging. Just curious if anybody has put one on a reef boat.

I had an aluminium spacer box made up for mine as the transom wasn't high enough for the extra long shaft. the motor bolts to the aluminium and the box bolts to the motor. works good

JB sniper
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I know other people that have done that also but just thought the ease of being able to get the motor where you want by jacking sounds spot on. Just trying to find out if there any good or more trouble then there worth.

murf
07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I made a fixed jacking plate from HDG steel to get the motor height right and sort out propping, I also added 6 deg of angle as the old Nova only has a 10 deg transom and i was trying to get the nose down more. there is no way I could bolt the motor on the original transom as it was way to low

when sorted to my liking I will get an alloy one made up as the HDG steel is a great anode and disappearing fast

hey 666 I wonder if the freight is cheaper by going through a USA shipping address? after some trim tabs too I recon to get nose down when needed

cheers Murf

fandtm666
07-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Murf i was pretty happy with the total price it came in at just on $300
which was less than 1/2 the cost here and is very well made and great
quality.Im also looking at some trim tabs but need to save a few more
pennys yet.

Grim Reefer 750
18-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Hey JB sniper - I'll be the guinea pig, just had a Jacking Plate fitted to my Cruise Craft Outsider 750. Water tested it yesterday, 3 blade Rebel 15 x 17 prop - wot 5700 40 Knots with 320 l fuel & 5 adults plus gear & 4 blade Solas 14 1/2 x 16 prop - wot 5900 38.5 knots with 300l fuel, 6 adults plus gear. So far all I can say is Bloody Awesome!!!!!! Next test will be a trip offshore. Post some more info later when I return from work.

Cheers.

FNQCairns
18-11-2013, 10:07 AM
GR750...trick piece of gear huh!

that's the same one I have just fitted to my reef boat...still to hit the water with it yet but I expect big things all round from it.

I had my boat set up for the most efficient cruise offshore in under 12 knots of wind, one simply couldn't mount my engine even 20mm higher without it becoming effectively undrivable in anything faster than a straight line at slow cruise....even as it was setup the boat had to be coaxed into a turn at proper cruising speeds and I have experienced snap loss of rudder control on occasion too, hull is forgiving luckily.

I am looking very forward to my first offshore test, I can head out efficiently at speed and come home in the snotty stuff with double the muscle it around control whenever I want. Not to mention I will now be able to tube and ski with it even...beautiful!!

JB sniper
18-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Good stuff lads. I actually bought a manual one myself a cmc one I think it is. I rate it to as I just kept edging it up around 12mm after each trip untill I got the optimum height. Hope they go well for you.

Grim Reefer 750
18-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Hey Ausfishers - for anyone interested in Jacking Plates here are some pics of the CMC Hydraulic 5 1/2 " set back on my Outsider 750.

Cheers

Chimo
18-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Looks good. Any closer ups?

Like the white, I bet that gets up boogies and the j p would let you tune it to a tee.
Do you move it much in a day?
What prop is on the motor?

Do the JPs allow two motors to be mounted on one? Does such a beast exist?

The boat has come up a treat by the way. Has the pod made it steady-er at rest. The deep vee on the 750 tended to make them a little twitchy or thats what it felt like on the one I tested yrs ago.

Qs so many questions

Cheers
Chimo
PS maybe I should have stared a new thread on the reincarnated 750! Feel free to cut and past if you wish.

Spaniard_King
18-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey JB sniper - I'll be the guinea pig, just had a Jacking Plate fitted to my Cruise Craft Outsider 750. Water tested it yesterday, 3 blade Rebel 15 x 17 prop - wot 5700 40 Knots with 320 l fuel & 5 adults plus gear & 4 blade Solas 14 1/2 x 16 prop - wot 5900 38.5 knots with 300l fuel, 6 adults plus gear. So far all I can say is Bloody Awesome!!!!!! Next test will be a trip offshore. Post some more info later when I return from work.

Cheers.

GR What RPM are you looking for?? would have thought the 15x 17 to be close to the mark??

Volvo
18-11-2013, 04:52 PM
:thumbsup: Top post and something or an item i wasnt aware of as ive recently purchased a new four banger and have had it raised to get my app revs etc..
Something a mate pointed to as my motor was raised aprox two inches above the transom without anything supporting the motor except the bolts that hold it to the transom and he asked me if that maybe too much stress on the bolts themselves withough the motor resting on the transom???..Thought it may be a good place to ask the question with this particular post??..

myusernam
19-11-2013, 05:20 AM
Would certainly save a lot of water testing with a new motor. bolt it between the transom and the motor. motor adjustments done!
post links up if you have any. with my ub22 and it's cut away stern I'd be able to raise quite high!

Grim Reefer 750
19-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Looks good. Any closer ups?

Like the white, I bet that gets up boogies and the j p would let you tune it to a tee.
Do you move it much in a day?
What prop is on the motor?

Do the JPs allow two motors to be mounted on one? Does such a beast exist?

The boat has come up a treat by the way. Has the pod made it steady-er at rest. The deep vee on the 750 tended to make them a little twitchy or thats what it felt like on the one I tested yrs ago.

Qs so many questions

Cheers
Chimo
PS maybe I should have stared a new thread on the reincarnated 750! Feel free to cut and past if you wish.

Hi Chimo - yes trimming the motor now is a breeze, best money I've spent for awhile, have only just done an hour or so water testing so still have lots more playing too do. Please read previous post re prop sizes. Bob's Jacking Plates in the USA make a twin motor jack plate, not sure about other brands. The pod I think has made big improvements on the boats handling, still has a tendency too lean on a following side on sea. No probs at anchor. I did load some other pics but they went sideways for some reason so I deleted them, did you mean the close up of jacking plate? I did start a Cruise a Craft Outsider reborn ages ago, you may have missed it. If your ever up my way give me a bell I'll take you for a spin.

Cheers

Grim Reefer 750
19-11-2013, 08:00 AM
GR What RPM are you looking for?? would have thought the 15x 17 to be close to the mark??

Hi Gary - the 3 blade prop came with the outboard when purchased, the outboard motor was fitted way to low hence why I went for the jacking plate. The WOT with the 3 blade prop is good the only reason I wanted to try the 4 blade is to hopefully help with the issue of having to adjust the throttle to keep the boat on a constant cruise speed offshore, also lower planing speeds, better for heavy loads, etc. Offshore testing hopefully on my next days off.

Cheers.

Chimo
19-11-2013, 09:18 AM
GR

having to adjust the throttle to keep the boat on a constant cruise speed offshore

Sounds like a 2 stroke thing. My two do a bit of that too unless your at a fair speed. Running 13.5 * 20 Rakers though and they are up pretty high as they prefer to be. Be interesting to see what a 4 blade does and whether it impacts on the free spinning nature of the motor.

Cheers
Chimo.

PS Yes I followed your rebuild with interest The 750 I tried was an outboard version but I dont think it was podded.

cormorant
19-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Only other issue with jacking plates is getting enough water through motors. USA bass boats had a lot of failures as they jacked them too high and lost water flow past water pickup but a lot changed to external pickups etc to solve the problem. They also run props suitable as you can run them as a surface drive. Ok for the bass boys running flat water and ski boats but different for offshore so propping is interesting depending.

Log into the motors computers and check running temps or use a extra temp probe as you can do damage quicker than alarms go off.

Yes they do change the balance point on smaller boats and also change the leverage on transoms so a bit of common sense needs to be applied ( except if you area bass boat owner) . You can make worse porpoise and chine walking depending on boats hull.

Dumb question - do you have the right length outboard for your boat to start with?

Chimo
19-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi Corm

Interesting point about overheating due to lack of water flow. There are other interesting causes too. Before we identified the cause of one of my motors overheating on one side at high speed on flat water to be one of the two thermostat housing rubbers we fitted the racing style water scoop pick ups on the legs which flush extra water into the motor. Probably have to take them off if I ever move to Tas.

Cheers
Chimo

Grim Reefer 750
19-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Cormorant - Good valid points there regards over heating, still waiting on the water pressure sensor kit to arrive from the USA, so until then i'll be keeping a close eye on temp gauge as well keeping motor deeper enough for good water pressure. At this stage still plenty of offshore water testing to do. Oh do you really think a longer shaft motor will make any difference to correct prop height??

Cheers

Grim Reefer 750
19-11-2013, 03:08 PM
GR

having to adjust the throttle to keep the boat on a constant cruise speed offshore

Sounds like a 2 stroke thing. My two do a bit of that too unless your at a fair speed. Running 13.5 * 20 Rakers though and they are up pretty high as they prefer to be. Be interesting to see what a 4 blade does and whether it impacts on the free spinning nature of the motor.

Cheers
Chimo.

PS Yes I followed your rebuild with interest The 750 I tried was an outboard version but I dont think it was podded.

Hey Chimo - yes i have heard also it may be a 2 stroke thing, only time will tell. Keen as to get offshore for a play, hope the weathers going to be good this weekend! The outboard version Outsider 750's were like an engine well pod but were not a hull extension, i did have my boat porpoising with the sterndrive when first purchased on water tests in the river but since adding the hull extension pod & outboard it has made it a much better boat.

Cheers

cormorant
19-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Ahh that motor length comment was in regards to the first poster not yourself ( I'm just too lazy to learn how to do multiple quotes) . Just checking they haven't a 25 leg on a 20 transom and that all brand motors over the years in different hp sizes have varied in real length. That said a fair few original holes in transoms are not in the best spots to start with