PDA

View Full Version : This is a Car Topper

leeroy1
05-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi,
Saw this this afternoon at BP Chinderah.Amazing that he got it up there considering the weight and i wonder if anyone else has seen this done.

Feral
06-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Gee I wonder what sort of milage that would get! Wouldn't want to be in front of him when the lights suddenly turned red!

astro66
06-12-2012, 05:58 AM
yeah mate ....hes just ready for some creek crossings up north...

Alchemy
06-12-2012, 06:07 AM
I saw a flat bed truck with a 5m Cruise Craft run about on the back, towing a huge triple axle caravan up in Normanton a couple of years ago. I had a chat to the fella and he and his wife were making their annual pilgrimage to Karumba. They had driven up from either Melbourne or Adelaide; can't remember which one now. I think it is a great idea!

Feral
06-12-2012, 06:18 AM
I saw a flat bed truck with a 5m Cruise Craft run about on the back, towing a huge triple axle caravan up in Normanton a couple of years ago. I had a chat to the fella and he and his wife were making their annual pilgrimage to Karumba. They had driven up from either Melbourne or Adelaide; can't remember which one now. I think it is a great idea!

What you saw is a good idea, dunno about that photo!
Be interesting unloading the boat in the van park!

finga
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Gee I wonder what sort of milage that would get! Wouldn't want to be in front of him when the lights suddenly turned red!
Why?
To me that is a lot safer then lots of the car-toppers you see getting about.
When you think about it what holds a car-topper onto most cars. The car's gutter.
How strong is a car's gutter?
What is the weight rating on rood racks?? About 80kgs per rack??
How much force would there be on a boat on your roof when a B-doubles goes past at 100km/hr missing you by 2m?

If the load in the ute is below what they're allowed to have and everything is secure then I cannot see a problem. How heavy would this boat be?? 500kg??
If you look hard it seems there is nothing holding the trailer down onto the ute bed.
Hopefully they've had tie down points installed in the ute tray to tie the trailer down with. This would be so much better option then tying it down to the tie down rails over the sides. Ute sides bend.
I would not be surprised if there was not a cradle in the back of the ute that the boat trailer sits in. See how the wheels are raised off the ute bed.
As for getting it up and down....did they have a winch on the front of the ute? A winch and a pulley onto the friendly boab tree and the trailer can be pulled up and lowered down using a couple of ramps (which I could nearly guarantee are sitting in the ute).
About the only thing I can see that I don't like is the way the boat is strapped to the trailer. I've seen boats bend their gunnels by people tightening those straps too tight.

And who cares about mileage.....if they're happy with it then they're happy otherwise they would be doing it.
Personally I don't think it would be much worse as compared to just towing the caravan alone.

I just hope they enjoy their holidays

ShaneC
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm with finga, I'll lay money that the toolbox has ramps and all the other gear needed to make the set up workable. Assuming the caravan brakes work properly ( which they generally do as they don't see water like a boat trailer) that would pull up at the lights in a hurry no worries. I reckon its an awesome set up. Wouldn't have put a etec on that boat though......

Oh Gee
08-12-2012, 08:09 AM
can be pulled up and lowered down using a couple of ramps (which I could nearly guarantee are sitting in the ute).

Is that them in the boat just forward of the plastic chairs?

Captain Seaweed
08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
I had a close look at this picture, by far the most dangerous part of this set up is......his etec :( I hope he has thought of a back up plan

Boat Hog
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I had a close look at this picture, by far the most dangerous part of this set up is......his etec :( I hope he has thought of a back up plan

Leccy on the bow Marty! Have a 'closer' look. ;)

lucee81
08-12-2012, 05:59 PM
But its all on a quintrex so its a pointless exercise as the welds will probably crack on the first outing....

Captain Seaweed
09-12-2012, 07:21 AM
But its all on a quintrex so its a pointless exercise as the welds will probably crack on the first outing....

Fair Call Lucee, but there would be a xxxx gold bar mat on the dash and a huge RM Williams sticker across the front to combat that.

Almako
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Gotta love a cruiser, must get me one of them someday.

PinHead
09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
bloody nomads..they should all be banned...hold up the traffic no end.

MudRiverDan
09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Looks a bit unsafe to me, those cruisers skate like their on ice on a wet road.

Dan

stevemid
09-12-2012, 11:11 AM
The cruiser sure is sittin' nice and level for all the weight on it.

Schulzy
09-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm glad I'm not paying the fuel bill!. Wouldn't be too much wind drag? Good on em for thinking out side of the box.

Noelm
10-12-2012, 07:27 AM
how about if the ute was a "tipper" that would make is a breeze to load/unload.

juggernaut
10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Closer inspection of the pic suggests the trailer wheels aren't sitting directly on the tray, but on something else. So possibly already sitting on some sort of ramp setup that slides rearwards perhaps?

BigE
10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Cruiser towing a van the fuel econ probably couldn't get much worse so why not strap a boat on as well?
A cruiser a jayco a quintrex and an Etec ........ what could possible go wrong ...... surely it won't cost much.

perhaps it's a new reality show?

BigE

littlemac
10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
bloody nomads..they should all be banned...hold up the traffic no end.

dont worry you'll be one soon

cheers

brett

pipifin
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
How do they fit through the drive though at maccas????? does that mean they actually have to hop out of the car???? Madness.... Madness I tells ya