PDA

View Full Version : 70 hp tiller

yamp
04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Just looking into getting a new rig with a 70 hp tiller steer keen on either the new yamaha 70 hp 4stk or the Suzuki 70 hp 4stk ,specs are quite different Yami 120 kg 996cc to the Suzy 155kg 1502 cc.wondering what sort of differences you could expect between the two motors,would the Suzy be any harder to steer,the weight difference is a bit with the Yami around the same weight as most 60 hp 4 stk which Iam also considering ,although I thought I would be better staying around the 70 hp. The boat I thinking about is a Haines 485sf thanks for any tips feedback on the two motors yamp

Spaniard_King
05-12-2012, 04:07 AM
Pretty sure the suzuki has a steering dampener either way there not engines you want to hang onto for long periods of time.

I would be going the bigger CC engine it would have to have more balls down low

Blackened
05-12-2012, 05:46 AM
G'day

I have the 70hp suzi on the tiller, steering is easy.

Always go the big CC, the merc 4stroke is much bigger again (by memory about 1.8l) in the 75hp.

I have a hydrive bullhorn dampener on mine, it's completely fine.

Dave

fever
06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I have the 70 yammy 4 stroke on a 4.95 stessle truck. It goes good but i have a hydrofoil above the prop and it tends to pull one way only at three quarter throttle. They have a steering dampener on them. The other thing i have a love hate relationship with is the trim and tilt. Worst thing for beach launching as they do not go up and down fast enough, but great once your out there. I have done a fair few long trips 1.5 hours either way and they are not that hard to hang on to and I am only a skinny bugger.

yamp
20-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks for feedback fellas,Dave could you give me a bit more info on the hydrive bull horn damper, sounds like it would be fairly usefull, are they self contained no extra pipes,do they take up much room, I had a look on the web site doesnt really show any with the tiller arm attached,Gary when you say more power down low would that be like pulling tow tubes for skiing and heavy loads etc thanks Yamp

Blackened
20-12-2012, 07:09 PM
G'day

It's the 411BH model and yes self contained. If you'd like a pic let me know, it's the same one i had on the 50 tohatsu on the thundercat.

Dave

chris69
20-12-2012, 11:18 PM
hi there yamp, look at this origin 4x4 tiller and there is a 60suzuki tiller with the dampener on it and you will see it all,they have cut out around the transom face on the inside on the port side to accommidate it87314 it looks very handy.

yamp
21-12-2012, 11:11 AM
thanks for feedback Dave if you could post up a pic that would be great thanks Anthony

Blackened
21-12-2012, 04:23 PM
G'day

Here you go.

The main advantage of a bullhorn is it's a "closed" system, compact... nothing large and protruding out one side.

With the valve you can completely adjust the steering tension or fully lock it off for trailering etc.

The biggest thing that makes a tiller hard to use in the bigger HP bracket is a wrong setup - motor to deep and wrong prop, get these right and all is well.

Dave

Good_as_Gold
22-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I have the yammy 60 tiller it has no dampner but if set your sacrificial skeg up properly at what revs you would mostly travel at it will almost keep itself straight. I have mine set up so that low to mid revs I need to apply a little pressure but when going at travelling speed easy as . But this does take a bit of trial and error.

Good_as_Gold
22-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Post when you have made your decision as I would also like to upgrade but questioning weather weight will out weigh the power with the suzzi.