PDA

View Full Version : Wash down pumps - which are the good ones

Crunchy
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I had to replace my Jabsco wash-down pump a few years ago and it looks like I'm going to have to replace it again after only about 3 years even though its had very little work. I've found the wiring to be substandard in this pump, it has corroded up the positive wire and now taken out one of the motor brushes. Unfortuatenly my experience of their back up service hasn't been too good....

Hi,
Jabscodo not sell carbon brushes for motors.

Regards,
XYZ
Pumptec PTY LTD
Hi
Any chance you could send me a replacement carbon brush forJabsco wash down pump model 32605 – 0092? It is 7mm x 7mm x 15mm with an“8” stamped on it and I haven’t been able to locate one.

So I will try a different brand this time....which pump brands have forum memebrs had a really good run with?

Cheers
C

Captain Seaweed
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I have had nothing but poor experiences with Jabsco and JOhnson for deckwash pumps. They corrode within 2 years and are stuffed. I have had them rust/corrode to pieces and have had the seal diaphram pierce between switch mech and water. I am also looking for good quality but hard to find.

Good Luck look forward to your findings. I started to think the pumps were only rated to freshwater, then I went through a painful stage of flushing the pumps after every outing...still shit

The Woo
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Are you guys looking for a diapragm type pump or a rubber impeller type?
ie, is it expected to last if run dry?
Does it need to auto switch itself on and off with a tap as "wash down" or is it to run constantly as a "deck wash"?
I'm assuming SALT water?

Crunchy
04-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I have had nothing but poor experiences with Jabsco and JOhnson for deckwash pumps. They corrode within 2 years and are stuffed. I have had them rust/corrode to pieces and have had the seal diaphram pierce between switch mech and water. I am also looking for good quality but hard to find.

Good Luck look forward to your findings. I started to think the pumps were only rated to freshwater, then I went through a painful stage of flushing the pumps after every outing...still shit

Good to know I'm not alone in this....was actually thinking about Johnson as an alternative to the Jabsco but I'll knock them back too. I've probably only used the pump I'm replacing 5 times! The supply wire from the helm swtich is fine, the wire that is attached to the pump is corroded, I wonder if its actually tinned...the corrosion has travelled up the wire and into the pump.

Crunchy
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Are you guys looking for a diapragm type pump or a rubber impeller type?
ie, is it expected to last if run dry?
Does it need to auto switch itself on and off with a tap as "wash down" or is it to run constantly as a "deck wash"?
I'm assuming SALT water?

1) Dunno...? Most likley would not be run dry as only use it to fill the bait tank and washdown the deck when at sea.
2) Not really, happy to control it by manual switch alone although pressure switch does have an element of ease of use.
3) Definately salt

Out-Station
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
If you look carefully johnson have a more expensive line of diaphram deckwash pumps that are priced a bit above their low/midrange gear (used to anyway, havn't checked in a while), look just the same with some suttle differences. I've had one of those good ones for 6 years, gets solid use, i replaced the pressure switch in it the other day but apart from that still going strong. For small boat deckwash diaphram/pressure switch combo the only real option i think.

IMO jabsco are shite but i had a sureflo once that went ok to from memory.

Scott

Moonlighter
04-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Mine is an Flojet, fitted as a factory option when i had the boat built. Been going fine for 3 years so far.....

You can get them on the Internet from a pump place in SA.

I think they are the upmarket segment from Jabsco, seems parts available for many of them.

See here

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/work/a_brand/diaphragm_pump_applications/catalogues/marine_catalogue.pdf

Cheers

ML

The Woo
22-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Sorry I never revisited this thread.
I'd suggest a Shurflo, they've always given excellent service. Install with the motor verticle and highest, and they'll last an age.

rexaway123
22-12-2012, 06:39 PM
agree on Shurflo...have problaster 4 on my noosacat ..bit more expensive but never misses a beat

shincism1
22-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Shurflo are pentair from memory. Which owns onga etc. Not cheap but good quality. There is a place in Sydney who will make you carbon brushes. Send them the old set and they can manufacture a new set. I used them tonnes of times when I worked for a pump, power tool repair place. We sold pumps there too. The place is called De Rossi. Just Google them. If you can't find them let me know and I'll find it.

Tobey

Lucky_Phill
22-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Bugga..... I just replaced my Sureflo with a Jabsco.

Sureflow...... lasted 7 years....

Jabsco has a 3 year warranty, so hope they'll back that up. I will spray the item with lanotec and Tectyol asap.

$189 for a 13.2ltr / minute Jabsco from Bias.

FYI....... I have had many a Johnson bilge pmup.( for live tank ) ..... went through way to many in no time at all. Finally got a Rule... still going strong.

cheers

murf
23-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Crunchy you can get all sorts of brushes to cross match all sorts of things, Google is your friend

if you like stuffing around doing your own repairs to save a couple of hundred dollars give it a go

a quick search http://www.morganamt.com/us/files/morgan%20carbon%20us/industrial_brush_guide.pdf

also it sounds as though your joins were not up to the task, use heat shrink glue filled crimps and or glue filled heat shrink to keep all water out of joins

cheers Murf

DaveNkelly
05-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi, what size pumps< LPH and PSI> are you blokes looking for when buying a deckwash?

I'm not sure what size mine is but its average when trying to wash sami dry blood off the deck etc..

isnt to bad if its still fresh but give it 10mins in the tropics and out with the green scourer it is..

I would like something with a bit of balls when it does die.

Cheers Dave

wrxhoon
05-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I use Jubsco 6.0 GPM and 70 psi, she has about the same pressure and volume as your garden hose.
It's a big pump and I never have any problems with it, I turn it on when I first need it on the day and stays on all day relying on the pressure switch to go on and off.

Make sure you install it upside down motor on the top and pump bottom, when you connect your boats wire to the pump wire solder and waterproof with glue heat-shrink. If you locate it in the bilge ( not ideal) make sure it will never be submerged.
If you don't do as above you will have problems regardless of the pump you use.