PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba in 2 weeks

milo__
04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

The family amd I are going to Mooloolaba in a couple of weeks leading up to Christmas and was wondering about a good reef to go to that is not too far off shore.

I have a 15 footer without an eperb so cant too far out but if you have a GPS of a reef close to Mooloolaba for some good fishing then that would be muchly appreciated.

Also.....is the Maroochy river any good for mud crabs?

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Andrew

gruntahunta
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi Andrew. I can honestly say that no one OS catching legal muddied in the Mariochy river yet. Lots are trying but no success. I got 2 big Jennies today and have left them in tonight so will let you know tomorrow.

With regards to reefs, there is the inner neerings which is only a few kms out and old women island has reef around it. I can go out next Tuesday or Wednesday, so of you would like to follow that would be fine if the weather is good of course. I went out the Maroochy river bar today and it was good. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

TREVELLY
04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
You could do worse than to just get around the lighthouse point and start trolling too.

Gneerings is a popular trolling spot too for good reason - pretty easy to find with the great blinker Eastern drop off.

Crunchy
04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Do you have a GPS?

TREVELLY
04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Do you have a GPS?

He was asking for some GPS marks so I expect he does

Gneerings GPS Position: 153°10'14"E, 26°38'36"S

Inner Gneerings 26 38.750 153 09.500
Outer Gneerings Mooloolaba. Snapper, Sweetlip, 26 38.860 153 12.200
Pearl Perch, Mackerel, Kingfish, Reef fish.
Water depth 12 - 15m.
Shallow reef with ocassional pinnacles.

gruntahunta
05-12-2012, 08:14 AM
http://scofs.com.au/images/stories/reef1.jpg

http://scofs.com.au/images/stories/reefmap.jpg

fat-buoy
05-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Without an EPIRB you are restricted to a 2km range which will let you get to the inner gneerings but not the middle, outer or Murphys.. There is grounds around Pt Cartwright, Mudjimba Island, Point Arkwright, Currimundi Reef (all within legal range without EPIRB)

It is a bit of a mixed bag at the moment with the summer months coming in but there should be some mackerel around and usually species like sweetlip etc waiting for a bait.

The dept of fisheries normally hit the area pretty hard in the holiday season..... but with Campbel Newman's cuts they probably won't be as thick this year.. (if you do venture past the 2km limit)

milo__
05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi all,

Thanks heaps for all the advice.

I am going to give the crab pots a good soaking and try the areas suggested so will see how I go.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers
Andrew

hookinin
08-12-2012, 08:29 AM
I went chasing whiting in the Maroochy the other night, we got 14 up to 38cm but i haven't had the pots in for a fair while. If your fishing the close reefs for bottom species its got to be early but a few mackerel starting to show up just switch to target them after the suns up.
Cheers Gaven