PDA

View Full Version : Help needed 60hp Merc 4 stroke Engine fault

S1piller
03-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Hi have got 60hp 4 stroke mercury it is on a Quintrex 475 Coast Runner and it has an intermittent fault with the engine. I brought the boat second hand. Fuel sender and all the fuel lines were replaced 3 years ago. It had a service in August everything was fine and compression was good in all cylinders. I put e10 in it went for a run and it started to run rough and splutter then stopped. When I went to prime the hand primer for the fuel it was soft. Got back syphoned and pumped out E10 until gauge read empty put in shell 98 went for another run same thing. Took boat to the mechanics and they hooked it up to the computer it said it had a fault with the fuel system. They replaced the fuel filter and the fuel filter housing put the pressure gauge on the fuel line was getting 40 psi after the fuel pump ran boat for 35 mins in the river on a very hot day and did not play up. I ran boat the other day for about 40 mins turned boat off turned back on went about 100m up the river turned off again sat for about 15 min then restarted it started to run rough and splutter then stopped. When I went to prime the hand primer for the fuel it was soft. I put a second fuel tank on with a separate fuel line and primer on it did the same thing got back to land changed back over to inboard fuel tank primed hand primer started boat ran fine for 15 mins and had no dramas.

Fallen angel
03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Just a quick dumb question..

did they drain the fuel bowels on each carb.. may be some water in there.. It has been awile since i owned one of those mercs.

cheers

The Woo
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
It sounds like an EFI engine so no point looking for the carbs.

OP - When you say the primer bulb was "soft", was it soft, or was it collapsed?

S1piller
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
It was soft. I primed it before we went out was hard ,then later it was soft it is my first boat so am new are you surposed to prime every time you shut down your engine.

Chamelion
03-12-2012, 09:39 AM
It was soft. I primed it before we went out was hard ,then later it was soft it is my first boat so am new are you surposed to prime every time you shut down your engine.

I am onto my third boat and my current one is the only one I have to prime each time I start the engine (if left off more than a minute or two). Also keen on hearing a definitive answer.

The Woo
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
You certainly shouldn't have to prime each start. In fact, I have the 40hp EFI Merc, and NEVER prime.
I feel you have a supply issue. Unsure if it's the on-engine lift pump of something before it failing or leaking air. The OP is little unclear to my hung-over mind as to IF the auxilary tank fixed the problem?

S1piller
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
yes it has a on engine lift pump (fuel pump)

darkside
03-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a 60 Merc 4st EFI and I have never primed it. Just turn the key and it starts first go. I have never used E10, all the guys on here managed to scare that out of me, only use 98, would like clarififcation on pumping the fuel primer bulb now. cheers.?

murf
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I have a 60 Merc 4st EFI and I have never primed it. Just turn the key and it starts first go. I have never used E10, all the guys on here managed to scare that out of me, only use 98, would like clarififcation on pumping the fuel primer bulb now. cheers.?

same same I had a 60hp EFI Merc and never primed it, best starting motor ever. sold it with nearly 3000 hrs on clock and not a problem

best of luck with the fault finding and look forward to reports of the elimination of suspects

there was a recall on the rectifier a long time ago, has yours been upgraded?

cheers Murf

darkside
03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Murf,
So then obviously no need to squeeze the primer bulb. I never have in the 5 years I have owned it, but reading this post I thought maybe it was the done thing. !!

Cheers

darkside.

S1piller
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
thanks for you help guys. I think i am going to first blow out tank and check breather then Splice clear test line and check for air in fuel line to motor,then not sure.

The Woo
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
When I repowered to the 40 EFI (which is the same as your 60 but different level of tune), I completely removed the primer and have not needed it once in over two years operation.
So your issue certainly doesn't apply to anything to do with a primer bulb (unless it's failed causing a blockage).

S1piller
03-12-2012, 04:02 PM
isint the rectifier part of the electrical system

murf
03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
isint the rectifier part of the electrical system

yeah just added that in for your general knowledge :)

so you do know there is a certain way that you hold a primer bulb to make it pump ;) a simple one but one that has caught many a boat owner over the years

cheers murf

Spaniard_King
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
There should be no need to prime the bulb on ANY efi engine unless you have an issue or run out of fuel.

The VST has at least 500ml of fuel which is a few minutes of runing time on most efi engines which will allow the lift pump (which sucks like a m#$her F45ker) to pull fuel from the tank.

A couple of issues with these engines... magnets come loose on flywheel giving ignition problems. regulator issues giving low voltage and will cause pooor runing effecting the EFI system.

murf
03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
There should be no need to prime the bulb on ANY efi engine unless you have an issue or run out of fuel.

The VST has at least 500ml of fuel which is a few minutes of runing time on most efi engines which will allow the lift pump (which sucks like a m#$her F45ker) to pull fuel from the tank.

A couple of issues with these engines... magnets come loose on flywheel giving ignition problems. regulator issues giving low voltage and will cause pooor runing effecting the EFI system.

:-[ I actually deleted my comments on the magnet thing, re-glued mine but hoping not an issue here

also deleted the 2 stroke comment on priming :( my bad but as you say the 4 stroke doesn't need it ;D

seems strange it brings up a fuel issue though

I did back fire mine once as it starts at the first touch of the key every time but I didn't give it enough for a 1/4 turn of the motor and it blew an air hose off, quick fix and off fishing again

cheers Murf

darkside
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Murf,
Mine is the same 1/4 of a turn and starts first go every go never ever primed . But I did not know about the magnets parting company with the flywheel, is that an easy remedy to prevent, and is there any warning before they go on their merry way. ?

murf
03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Murf,
Mine is the same 1/4 of a turn and starts first go every go never ever primed . But I did not know about the magnets parting company with the flywheel, is that an easy remedy to prevent, and is there any warning before they go on their merry way. ?

was just a general maintenance thing that I found it, cleaned them up very very well and glued back on then painted, a few hours involved but my time is free

look for any dust under the cover or take off the flywheel and check

I think I was talking to Garry above when i did it years ago :)

cheers Murf

darkside
03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Cheers Murf, thanks for that, it's due for a service soon, so may do them and timing belt at the same time.

:-)

Camhawk88
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Whack some Yammie stickers on the cowel mate- problem solvered:P

murf
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Whack some Yammie stickers on the cowel mate- problem solvered:P

well it is the best Yamaha powerhead and the best merc electronics I am lead to believe to make a great motor ;)

cheers Murf

Spaniard_King
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
How Long does it take from cold for these symptoms to show up??

Having read back over the post, it could be overheating.

murf
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
How Long does it take from cold for these symptoms to show up??

Having read back over the post, it could be overheating.

ran mine all day once with the muffs on the leg :-[ only gave the alarm when going 3/4 throttle back to the beach. so it should give an alarm and then go into limp mode?

cheers Murf

S1piller
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi guys here is a update so far. I lifted up the floor pulled out the fuel sender had a look in the tank and there was a little silver sticker floating around in the tank that I think has come off the fuel sender also there was bits of plastic from the old fuel sender and salastic floating every where. It turns out the old owner decided to replace all the fuel lines and use salastic to seel them. So fuel tank out flush clean drain dry put back in fuel breather hose a little bit kinked fixed that put back together. Ran boat all good 1 .5 hrs later goes into alarm mode. Ring mechanic put on computer nothing comes up changes thermostat go for another run still no good alarm sounds. Have got good flow coming out of pisser. Any one got any ideas? Please

Spaniard_King
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
yep rubber grommet at top of water tube (under power head ) has grown closed blocking off water supply... common on 60 mercs

murf
07-12-2012, 06:22 AM
the old Silastic and fuel trick, its never pretty :(

cheers Murf

S1piller
01-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Another update changed the thermostat over for one that opens 10 deg cooler and put a new impeller in. Went out with mechanic could not fault the fuel system or the temperature no alarms no surges everything fine.
Went out with the family going good then it started to decelerate just like it ran out of fuel put back to idle then it would stall. Restart then go again same thing. Had a second fuel tank with a new hose and everything hooked up same problem? Not sure where to go now am thinking vst filter.

S1piller
01-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Re: Help needed 60hp Merc 4 stroke Engine fault

Garry

http://www.gdmarineservices.com.au Call for a great price on a New Honda outboard, Engines In Stock Now !!!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/signaturepics/sigpic41176_4.gif

is there a way that i can check these things at home.

Spaniard_King
01-01-2013, 08:54 AM
yep rubber grommet at top of water tube (under power head ) has grown closed blocking off water supply... common on 60 mercs

I would lay money on this being your problem. no thermostat is going to fix this issue

Jarrah Jack
01-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I would lay money on this being your problem. no thermostat is going to fix this issue

Cats arse I think they call it. A cheap part but the power head has to come off to fix it.

Fed
01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Even though you tried a new tank and hose could there still be stuff floating around in the system?

Your description sure sounds like a fuel blockage problem.
(Did you open the vent on the new tank?)

Surely an overheat would trigger an alarm?

Spaniard_King
01-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi guys here is a update so far. I lifted up the floor pulled out the fuel sender had a look in the tank and there was a little silver sticker floating around in the tank that I think has come off the fuel sender also there was bits of plastic from the old fuel sender and salastic floating every where. It turns out the old owner decided to replace all the fuel lines and use salastic to seel them. So fuel tank out flush clean drain dry put back in fuel breather hose a little bit kinked fixed that put back together. Ran boat all good 1 .5 hrs later goes into alarm mode. Ring mechanic put on computer nothing comes up changes thermostat go for another run still no good alarm sounds. Have got good flow coming out of pisser. Any one got any ideas? Please

Fed did you read this post??

The power head has to come off... no doubt in my mind

Fed
01-01-2013, 02:45 PM
I did see that Garry it was the first mention of any alarms sounding at all.
I wonder what alarm it was?
The computer threw up a fuel problem?
I wonder wtf motor it is?
All we have been told is 60HP 4 stroke Merc that had it's fuel lines changed 3 years ago. What would that make it, 5-10 years old? Carby or EFI?
It's like herding cats. :)

Spaniard_King
01-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I did see that Garry it was the first mention of any alarms sounding at all.
I wonder what alarm it was?
The computer threw up a fuel problem?
I wonder wtf motor it is?
All we have been told is 60HP 4 stroke Merc that had it's fuel lines changed 3 years ago. What would that make it, 5-10 years old? Carby or EFI?
It's like herding cats. :)

Computors don't monitor the fuel system! If the EFI fuel pump fails it blows a fuse, if an injector fails it drops a cylinder and the others try to compensate and if the injector short cicuited it would blow a fuse non of this is monitored by the EMM/ECU. The fuel pressure is regulated but not monitored so this has to be mannually checked.

The Computor (EMM/ECU) if it is an efi model will monitor and adjust the ignition timing fuel injection timing and length of injection through sensors such as Throttle position,Cam Position, crank position, map sensor, Engine temp, air temp, oil pressure, Knock sensor etc etc. It will also store and event such as low oil pressure alert, high engine temp alert and any of the sensors which at anytime is out of it's operating range. The later model ECU's do a lot more than this but non monitor fuel supply or pressure

Fed
01-01-2013, 03:11 PM
That's what I mean, somehow the thread seems to be all over the shop to me.
The first post...

Help needed 60hp Merc 4 stroke Engine fault

Hi have got 60hp 4 stroke mercury it is on a Quintrex 475 Coast Runner and it has an intermittent fault with the engine. I brought the boat second hand. Fuel sender and all the fuel lines were replaced 3 years ago. It had a service in August everything was fine and compression was good in all cylinders. I put e10 in it went for a run and it started to run rough and splutter then stopped. When I went to prime the hand primer for the fuel it was soft. Got back syphoned and pumped out E10 until gauge read empty put in shell 98 went for another run same thing. Took boat to the mechanics and they hooked it up to the computer it said it had a fault with the fuel system. They replaced the fuel filter and the fuel filter housing put the pressure gauge on the fuel line was getting 40 psi after the fuel pump ran boat for 35 mins in the river on a very hot day and did not play up. I ran boat the other day for about 40 mins turned boat off turned back on went about 100m up the river turned off again sat for about 15 min then restarted it started to run rough and splutter then stopped. When I went to prime the hand primer for the fuel it was soft. I put a second fuel tank on with a separate fuel line and primer on it did the same thing got back to land changed back over to inboard fuel tank primed hand primer started boat ran fine for 15 mins and had no dramas.

Knowing what motor it is and what the alarm sequence was would sure help.

Spaniard_King
01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Yep definitley some wires crossed there

rayken1938
01-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Vapor lock? I had similar issues on a 2004 model efri but only on a hot day. Used to take cowl off and sit wet towel on top of motor for 5 minutes and then all ok. Ended up putting silver cover on motor and then no more problems even out at Glenlyon in middle of summer.
Cheers
Ray