PDA

View Full Version : Have you got a 4.2m tinnie...

kind_cir
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Have you got a pressed 4.2m tinnie you take offshore more than a few times a year?

What make is it, and how does it handle offshore work?

I know this will open a can of worms, about small boats, saftey gear, boat handleing, wet bang bang bone jarring open boats. I realy just after peoples experiences.

netmaker
01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
not me, but i do intend to take my 4.3m offshore after i fit a boat collar. i know an old bloke who used to go offshore with his mate in a v14 brooker (same as mine) with a 20 johnno on the back. he survived. the way i see it if you sink your boat in the bay or offshore you are in deep sh!t either way. it all comes down to skippers judgment. in perfect weather a small boat can go anywhere. remember a lot of the world was discovered by blokes in hollowed out trees. course a lot of them drowned too...

juggernaut
02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Yep I've taken a Quinnie tinnie 60klms offshore many times, caught many small sharks, snapper, blue bone groper, dhufish, etc.

I was within eye sight of one of the islands I was staying on though (Abroholas Islands) :)

EDIT:

To clarify.....the tinnie goes over on a crayboat 8-)

softplasticsdude79
02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
had my 4.1m in some hairy places before,as netmaker said,it usually the skipper that brings a small boat undone.

SunnyCoastMark
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I have a 4.5m Quintrex Centre Console (50hp Johnno 2 stroke) that is used more often Off shore - than inshore. I like that I can troll around all day and only use 20-30 l of fuel. There is no denying that it can be hard work in a chop. You really notice it when you get home and your legs are like Jelly from bracing yourself all flippin day long. You feel like you've just spent 2 hrs at the Gym on some days.

Night time is very limiting - I will only go out with 5-10 knot forecast and little swell.

I have been in some heavy squalls - and have only felt concerned once. - I don't go 60 k's out - like old mate in Perth - 20 - 30 k's is about my limit - and the forecast has to be good. Anything above 15 knots - I won't go any further than Old woman Island or the inner gneerings off Mooloolaba. Halls reef - Jew Shoal off Noosa. Not necessarily because it is unsafe, but more because it is uncomfortable and the further out you are - the more punishment you are going to cop.

It really is about driving to suit the conditions. - I was out at the Gneerings yesterday chasing Pelagics in 10 - 15 knot NE - you get a bit of crosswind spray on board and you have to watch out for the potholes - but as long as you respect the ocean, you will be pretty safe. Staying on the plane at around 13-15 knots was tolerable. Any faster and the boat spends more time airborne.

I have surfed most of my life - so probably read the waves a bit differently to some and I think that helps - gives me a little more confidence.

In saying all of the above - I have had tinnies in the 15-16 ft range for the last 10 years or so. Now I've hit the big 50 - I feel the need to be more comfortable - which is why I am currently slaving away on my project boat. She is 21' with a hard top - just ordered some nice comfy bolster style seats. Painting her over Christmas - 140 Lean Burn Zuke shortly after. - You can't beat bigger boats for comfort and that peace of mind. (As long as you don't have an E-tec on the back):-X

Mark

the baker
02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Yep I have a 4.2m dory 40 4stroke on her I fish the 8-21mile billy grounds off mooloolaba often just have to pick you're days take you're time and do things safely options are endless. something like a wireless kill switch is a good idea too in small boats offshore. and no E-tec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woZQjDZKb5s

Dave.

ranga7
03-12-2012, 05:51 AM
horizon 4.2 30hp i take mine out. its all about the conditions not the boat and motor size. you could row a 3mtr punt out on the right day.

Eug
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
bluefin 4.2 i take her off goldie a couple of times a year, i agree with what's been said above. all about the conditions.

Coxy23
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I have been out a few times around 40km off shore in my 440 dory, just pick the weather and go as they have said above nothing to worry about if you have all your safety gear.