PDA

View Full Version : New fishing qld license?

adhawko
29-11-2012, 09:51 PM
When are they introducing fishing license in brisbane Queensland?

Cheers Hawko

Moonlighter
29-11-2012, 09:53 PM
What makes you think they are???

CATchin'Em
30-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Never!!!!!

Kero
30-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Shhhh! Don't go giving any ideas!

finga
30-11-2012, 08:45 PM
I'd like to see people's reactions if/when they do.

Chaz
01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I have heard lots of talk about it already. And be aware that all the money will be going into consolidated revenue. Given the grabs already made by this government, does anybody think they would give any money to the rec fishers?

Chaz

Lucky_Phill
01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
OK, a Rec fishing licence for Qld is NOT on the table / cards / agenda.

End of story.

Hawko and Chaz ........ from whom did you " hear " about this ?

LP

Oh Gee
01-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Geezus...Read the headder and nearly had a hearty...Way to frighten a bloke.

aus2045
03-12-2012, 07:20 AM
I think we need a Qld fish licence. As long as the funds are used to enforce closed seasons, green zones, and start estuary restocking program's so that there are some fish to try for. At the moment it's a free-for-all fish murdering mindset and that shows in the fishing. Despite our wonderful coastline, our fishing is amongst he worst in the world. Most recreational fishers never catch anything, myself included. Why? Years of raping the waters, overfishing. It's time to fix it and licences could fund it.

Lucky_Phill
03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for your opinion aus2045, but could you link me or post up stats where you get the " worst in the world " from.??

I can provide you with detailed studies and information that clearly shows Australia has the most heavily regulated fishery in the world, most protected zones, it has the least amount of tonnage per sq/kilometer taken by pro's in the world and the least amount of fish / tonnage per sq kilometer by rec anglers in the world. This is fact.

What you will most likely notice is the impact of rec fishing adjacent to heavily populated areas and close to the coast line.

You will also find that the fishery is subjected to influences like, Pollution, Run-Off, Mangrove Degradation and more that contribute more the issue with the fishery, than recreational fishing.

Yes, I agree that in.... " the old days " people tended to catch more fish per person, but many factors have brought about change. Population is one. So instead of 100 people catching 20 Snapper each = 2,000 fish, with bag limits etc we have 500 people catching 4 Snapper each = 2,000 fish. These are rough figures and looks at the rec fishing population increasing five fold in the last 20 years, which is a fair assumption.

Fact.

Vistory Fishing Club have been fishing the same area ( Nerang River ) since 1945. Club records clearly show that the numbers and sizes of fish caught per trip / season has not changed to this date. Sure more members are fishing but the total seasonal catch remains on par with " the good old days ". You may ask " why is this so ? ". Good question and the answer is not definable, but the Nerang has never been commercially fished / netted, the catchment does not lend itself to agricultural run-off and the canal system is mostly natural ( following the river course ) and has been established for many years.

Money from an RFL will not, IMO, change things. Education and Government Policy will.

cheers LP

aus2045
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Worst in the world from my own experiences,

finga
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Worst in the world from my own experiences,
Go and have a fish with Phill or Webby or Chris or Jack or Terry or Charlie or Smithy or Bear (where is Cindy?) any number of fisherpeople here.
You might find we have some of the best fisheries in the world if you do.

If you think the mindset of a free for all murder, rape, pillage, plunder take some pictures of those doing it and send them into fisheries. The vast majority of people would not put up with this.
Again, in my opinion, it is the few who give the majority a bad name.

Lucky_Phill
03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Only joking but..

could you tell me about your experiences in Estonia, Madagaska, Ukraine, Yenmen, and the west coast of Bangladesh ?

Seriously, we have it pretty damn good here....maybe not as good as you remember.

I can still catch a bream where I did 30 years ago, whiting the same, snapper the same, sweetlip the same, flathead the same. I do have to share that resource and location with many more than I used to. :(

LP

aus2045
03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Maybe that was too much of a bold general statment from me.
But I just cant imagine a fishery being any worse that what I have fished for the bast 5yrs. Can you catch less than pretty much nothing ?

Chris Ryan
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
aus2045 could you clear up where you have fished for the last 5yrs and give some indication of the changes in that area you have witnessed? I'm pretty sure Fisheries go through these posts so giving the information might help them, and other locals in the area, understand your claims further. Maybe there is something going on around the area you fish which has contributed and would be investigated?

aus2045
03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I guess Im just cranky that I cant catch anything.
I bought a 2nd hand fishing Kayak/surfski thing. Took it out on Saturaday on Cooroman Creek area (despite the croc risk)
Started real early in the day, trolled hard bodies across sand banks, bank edges etc. Cast into snags, rocks. Fished blades, soft palstics into any likely areas I saw, trolled again, fished 5 hrs for not even a touch.

ronmac
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I guess Im just cranky that I cant catch anything.
I bought a 2nd hand fishing Kayak/surfski thing. Took it out on Saturaday on Cooroman Creek area (despite the croc risk)
Started real early in the day, trolled hard bodies across sand banks, bank edges etc. Cast into snags, rocks. Fished blades, soft palstics into any likely areas I saw, trolled again, fished 5 hrs for not even a touch.

Maybe you need a mentor to help you out, Down here in nsw it dose'nt get any better, Even with a fishing license. good luck. cheers Ron.

aus2045
03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I dont think im doing anything wrong, I truely believe there are just no fish there anymore.
Anything we can do to improve that, including licenencing and spending that money on restocking has to be good

Moonlighter
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
If I may be so bold, aus2045, there is an old saying that goes pretty much like this:

"20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish".

I think someone first said that back in the days when JC was fishing with his disciples!

Unfortunately, from your comments, it seems that you currently fall into the "other 80% who between them only catch 20% of the fish".

Your challenge is to get yourself into the top 20%. Whether you are good enough to learn what it takes or not is a question that only you can answer.

Fish are getting smarter. As fishers we have to learn and adapt our strategies and techniques so we stay ahead of the game.

When soft plastics hit the scene, I had some of the best sessions I have ever had on snapper in Moreton Bay. Could have bagged out several times even under the old bag limit of 20 fish!

Took a while to get the hang of it, had to work out the best time in the tidal cycle at particular locations, but once I had it wired it became pretty predictable. So much so that I had to stop fishing with 2 rods and go back to one.

I have been fishing the Moreton Bay area for close to 40 years, and I have caught my PB's in several species in the bay area in the last 5 years. What does that say about the state of our fisheries? In one of the most heavily fished locations in thee whole State!

I have also caught species such as threadfin in the Brisbane river that I had never caught in the 30 years before. Big ones, too.

I have many people say to me what you said, that there are no fish to be caught any more.

I usually just smile to myself because I know that i have just talked to another one of the "80-percent-ers". I guess someone has to make up the numbers in that category......

Just as long as is isn't me!

Having fishing licenses will not get you into the 20% Club as far as I can see.

Cheers

ML

aus2045
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I think its just this area, I know there are heaps of fish down SEQ, I was in that 20% when I lived there. And always catch some fish when I head down that way.

You are prob right that a lic will not fix anything, I think i am just looking for ideas to fix the fishery where I live. Maybe i am just a poor fisherman, but I seem to catch fish when I go both a long way north and south of Central Qld.

I think im just having a little vent out of frustration tday.:(

Moonlighter
03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Go and join one of he local fishing Clubs. Volunteer as a deckie on someone's boat. ANSA have a couple of Clubs up that way that are pretty active. Or, do a guided fishing trip or two and suss out what the guide is doing to put the clients onto fish. Pump them for info!

You will soon find out what the deal is in that area. I know blokes up there that have no trouble catching a decent feed and you should be no different.

I do hear your frustration.

But there is another paradigm that you need to think about. If what you have been doing has not been successful, then if you keep doing the same thing again and again, you can expect the same results.

You need to change something!

Good luck!

ML

Lucky_Phill
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
as others have said aus, and maybe it is just your frustration at a day on the water with no results. I think we have all been there at some point in our fishing lives.

Prime example.... I fished the most prehistoric and mangrove jack looking creek in Central Queensland some time ago. I threw my arm off with every possible lure and pestered every single tree, structure for kilometers. Not even a follow. :'(

Had a chat to a local.

Next time I hit that creek was after dark with live prawn and mullet. Mangrove Jack-a-thon. ;D

Whenever I have a bad run, I go " back to basics ". Remember the " good old days " and how I fished then. But as said above, we all need to " go with the flow ", change tactics and technic.

Pop down to Roslyn Bay and jig up some livies and throw them in the water on the bottom side of The Causeway ...... on a run out tide...... ;) 8-)

cheers LP

PinHead
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I think we need a Qld fish licence. As long as the funds are used to enforce closed seasons, green zones, and start estuary restocking program's so that there are some fish to try for. At the moment it's a free-for-all fish murdering mindset and that shows in the fishing. Despite our wonderful coastline, our fishing is amongst he worst in the world. Most recreational fishers never catch anything, myself included. Why? Years of raping the waters, overfishing. It's time to fix it and licences could fund it.

Plenty of fish to catch if you do some homework first..just pulling up and tossing some bait in the never has and never will be a success story.

So you want to pay more money so that the Govt can do what they are supposed to be doing already? Enforcement is already part of a Govt's duties.

Lucky_Phill
04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Found a little graph for you aus..

PinHead
04-12-2012, 08:37 PM
even if they did introduce a rfl..I won't pay it. They can shove it.

finga
05-12-2012, 06:29 AM
even if they did introduce a rfl..I won't pay it. They can shove it.
A lot of people will be in the same boat (pardon the pun) I reckon.
What's the point if there's nobody around to enforce the requirement.
How many active Fisheries Inspectors are there now?

PinHead
06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
A lot of people will be in the same boat (pardon the pun) I reckon.
What's the point if there's nobody around to enforce the requirement.
How many active Fisheries Inspectors are there now?

back in the 1850's some blokes also protested about unfair licenses...told the authorities to shove it..the spirit of them lives on.

Mike Delisser
06-12-2012, 07:02 PM
back in the 1850's some blokes also protested about unfair licenses...told ..the spirit of them lives on.

I think 22 of them died telling the authorities to shove it.

ozynorts
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Plenty of fish to catch if you do some homework first..just pulling up and tossing some bait in the never has and never will be a success story.
Ah so that's what I am doing wrong. Bugger. Perhaps I need to actually think when I go fishing. Hmmmmmmm.
Seriously though I can't wait to get the knowledge to progress to the 20% category.

PinHead
06-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I think 22 of them died telling the authorities to shove it.

yep..bloody heroes..just a pity some pathetic union has flogged their flag.
BUT...it has not changed much in all those years..Govts. just want to slam the working man with more fees and taxes.

PinHead
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Ah so that's what I am doing wrong. Bugger. Perhaps I need to actually think when I go fishing. Hmmmmmmm.
Seriously though I can't wait to get the knowledge to progress to the 20% category.

don't blame me..I could not catch a fish if I dangled my toes in a bathtub full of piranha.

tunaticer
06-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Cooroman Creek is nearly an art form in itself to get good results from regularly, esp with artificials......I suggest you look into Corio Bay around the black banks and across to the headland opposite for comparatively better results. Failing that the city reaches of the Fitzroy are well worth persisting with for good sized barra even if they do come from pretty crap looking waters. Rita DeMata headland is easily accessible and produces the goods with slow trolled hard bods too.

aus2045
10-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Cooroman Creek is nearly an art form in itself to get good results from regularly, esp with artificials......I suggest you look into Corio Bay around the black banks and across to the headland opposite for comparatively better results. Failing that the city reaches of the Fitzroy are well worth persisting with for good sized barra even if they do come from pretty crap looking waters. Rita DeMata headland is easily accessible and produces the goods with slow trolled hard bods too.

Thanks for the tips.
The only thing missing is a real boat now. That might up the sucess rate 1000% lol.

Noelm
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
well.... as someone who has had the pleasure of paying for my fishing "licence" in NSW for a long time now, I can assure you, the money raised does not improve the fishing, now to be fair, I "hear" that there has been some funded stocking programs around the state, but in my neck of the woods, I have not seen one new ramp, not one stocking program, not one new cleaning table, nothing, not a sausage have I witnessed as far as improvement to 'something", I have been asked to produce my licence quite a few times, so i think policing the issue is fine, but for all my money, what have I got????I do not begrudge actually paying the licence (well sort of) but I would like to see some sort of tangible benefit from the revenue raised.

rotorwhitey
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Great topic was just reserching if I need a license to fish qld at Christmas . This is great news . On the topic of weather they improve fishing I guess I have to say yes in Sydney they bought out the floating kingfish traps guys and since then we have been able to get into kingies . But they have also waste the funds on crap. I believe if money was controlled by an independent party who put All funds back for is fisherman then program would be great

KruzinDaBloo
10-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Interesting thread and replies. Does anyone know if we can get any actual data (accumulative etc) of how the impoundment permits here in Q have been going...? What has been done with the $$$$$? Are there any publications or pamphlets or perhaps online (gov) sites that can tell the public this? Would be of interest.....

KruzinDaBloo
10-12-2012, 10:09 PM
hmmmmm just another thought......anyone know any details of the numbers of fisheries officers we have left following the Q government's recent and current 'slashing' of public servants..?

Noelm
11-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Great topic was just reserching if I need a license to fish qld at Christmas . This is great news . On the topic of weather they improve fishing I guess I have to say yes in Sydney they bought out the floating kingfish traps guys and since then we have been able to get into kingies . But they have also waste the funds on crap. I believe if money was controlled by an independent party who put All funds back for is fisherman then program would be great
the Kingfish traps were gone long before any licence was introduced, they were simply banned, no one was bought out by a buy back scheme, funded by license revenue or any other tax payer money.

finga
11-12-2012, 08:22 AM
they have also waste the funds on crap.
Does that include the fish cleaning tables installed inside a caravan park where members of the public can not use them?

Yes. A lot of the money has been spent on things Councils and private parties should be responsible for.

And you need a license to fish freshwater in QLD matey.

Camhawk88
11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Only in some stocked impoundments Finga.

rotorwhitey
11-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Ok I maybe wrong about kingfish tap but ill give you an example we had one pro here in Sydney who used to drop line for kings I hammered they day in day out . Fisheries thought they would spend 300g plus to buy him out , he sold. Only to have him back in 3 months with his house payed off a new 4wd and a brand new sailfish he had bought a license that was dormit for last 10 years for $15 grand. To me this is a monumental f..k up on fisheries side . This is one reason I suggested we have a independent body which regulates money allocated for fishing department .

Noelm
11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
drop line for Kingfish??? please explain, but then, maybe not, we dont want this to turn into a poiltical rec V pro thing, BUT, I do want to know about a "dormant" license.

rotorwhitey
11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I have shocking spelling so I am referring to guys that have licenses and do not fish any more they just sell there quota each yr to other pros. For eg a pro might be allowed 500 of tuna a year he catches a ton. So he buys the other 500 quota of a guy with dormant licience . I think all guys who are no longer actually using fishing there licience should have them bought back

Noelm
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM
up to a point that is correct, however, by that method, there is no more fish sold than if the two fisherman caught half the quota each! the TAC (total allowable catch) is static and does not change, almost no pro licenses are left unused, they need to maintain history to be current, now whether that is by selling quota to another person and making some money that way, or actually fishing yourself is a kind of fuzzy greay area.

Lucky_Phill
11-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Interesting thread and replies. Does anyone know if we can get any actual data (accumulative etc) of how the impoundment permits here in Q have been going...? What has been done with the $$$$$? Are there any publications or pamphlets or perhaps online (gov) sites that can tell the public this? Would be of interest.....

Pop into the Fresh Water Chat pages and ask there.

Fitzy will know all the answers.

The SIP program does a great job.

Not all fresh water impoundments require a Permit. ( not licence ).

cheers LP

Mike Delisser
11-12-2012, 10:02 PM

In the last financial year $723,000 was raised for fish stocking from the Qld SIP. It was divided between 32 dams on the scheme. Unless it's changed the allocation formula is, 50% angler preference: 50% surface area (capped at 4000ha).

Dam areas Total allocation
Bjelke Petersen $33,929
Boondooma $37,450
Borumba $19,888
Burdekin $31,508
Callide $16,358
Cania $16,450
Connolly $2,461
Cooby $14,104
Coolmunda $25,642
Cressbrook $23,373
Eungella $17,515
Fairbairn $38,005
Fred Haig $40,792
Glenylon $29,705
Gordonbrook $6,652
Kinchant $20,065
Lake Dyer $4,794
Lake Gregory $6,562
Lake MacDonald $7,455
North Pine $11,776
Lenthalls $9,226
Leslie $32,672
Maroon $15,743
Moogerah $23,338
Peter Faust $42,508
Somerset $56,034
Storm King $5,519
Teemburra $20,388
Theresa Creek $7,968
Tinaroo $34,279
Wivenhoe $51,767
Wuruma $19,072

Aussie123
11-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I have shocking spelling so I am referring to guys that have licenses and do not fish any more they just sell there quota each yr to other pros. For eg a pro might be allowed 500 of tuna a year he catches a ton. So he buys the other 500 quota of a guy with dormant licience . I think all guys who are no longer actually using fishing there licience should have them bought back

Tuna quotas come under Commonwealth Fisheries and have nothing to do with NSW state fisheries so there is or was never any buyout using rec license money.
Also there is no quotas on Kingfish under the NSW Ocean Trap and Line Fishery (State Fishery).
Latent (dormant) licenses are fully active licenses and can be used or sold anytime.
Latent just means they have not been used in a while and any fisher leasing out their quota does not add any extra KG to the Total Allowable Catch as it has already been allocated in the previous years assessments from their catch returns submitted.
Being latent just means that license may be restricted if and when future management policies come into effect.