PDA

View Full Version : Towing Boat Bris - Airlie Beach for a Whitsundays adventure!

mattyd
29-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I've planned a 40th birthday adventure and we're going to take the boat all the way up north to Airlie and base ourselves at the Able Marina (staying at a hotel).

We're taking the Freedom (5.3m glass) with 90hp and hoping to get around a few of the islands doing several day trips (dep. on weather of course).

With an 80l tank I've worked out anything west of Hook & Whitsunday Isl should (hopefully) be accessible enough. Maybe Whitehaven at a stretch, but it seems a loooong way from Airlie :o

I'll get a chart of the area, spare tyre for the trailer, log onto the coastguard each day. As with any new grounds, we'll be watching our speed and sounding carefully around the islands.

We're only light recreational fisho's so the wife & I will be happy with anything we catch up there (obviously targeting reefies). Folks seem to do well enough landbased off Airlie & Shute Harbour so we can't go too wrong. Really any fish will be a bonus anyway, the scenery should make up for the rest :D

Anything I'm missing from those that have been up there? Precautions, tips or suggestions?

I've searched the forums and found a few posts from '08 -'10 from a few of you who've done a similar thing. I'll prob get some info from a bait & tackle shop at Airlie.

Heading up in early Jan '13.

Thanks

Matt

Chimo
29-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Matt

No 1 thing to get and read is 100 Magic Miles Of the Great Barrier Reef by Colfelt. $79.95 from Whitworths. All the data you need on seamanship up there and good maps too.. Used it when sailing up there and the 9th edition is available. Take insect repellant for the midges etc even on Whitehaven Beach. Avon Skin so soft is good. Chase up KC at Airley too.

Cheers
Chimo.

Probably not a trip for the tinny!

mattyd
29-11-2012, 02:08 PM
haha - yeah prob glad I've decided to keep the glass boat now :)

Cheers for the tips. I recall a few suggestions on that guide / book in some earlier posts. Sounds like a worthwhile investment (even if it is only for 7 days).

Thanks again Chimo.

Obi _ Wan
29-11-2012, 02:09 PM
It's a good place to holiday, enjoy, just a few things, firstly, service or replace if necessary your boat trailer wheel bearings. When you get there visit a Great Brrier Reef Marine Park Office and get yourself a set of charts, these will show you where the green zones are (no fishing) to save you from fishing in the wrong place and cop a big fine.

Have lunch at the Lagoon at Airle one day, leave your wife at the hotel or you may get a backhander lol.
There is a reasonable tackle shop behind the BPservice station at Canonvale or there is Proserpine Bait and Tackle on the Eastern side of the Hwy just as you enter Proserpine from the South.

Enjoy your trip, catch a few fish and refresh your eyeballs at the Airle Lagoon.

Cheers,
John.

mattyd
29-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for that John, I think some charts along with the 100 Magic Miles book would be invaluable up there. We did a major ($600+) service on the trailer at Downes marine last month so the hubs, pads bearings etc should all be spankers.

LOL...yes I'm thinking if it's anything like the Cairns esplanade lagoon then I better get my wraps and settle into a few cold ones at the Airlie Lagoon....and just watch the world go by :)

upstart
29-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Whitehaven is def worth the trip.

mattyd
29-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Whitehaven is def worth the trip.

Hey upstart - you don't know how long it would take from Airlie (doing ~ 20-25 knots?). Only concern is fuel (80l). Maybe we could fill up at Hamilton on the way back assuming they had the facilities to do so?

Chimo
29-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Watch out for wind against tide as you head over to Whitehaven from Hamo. If your going to buy anything you better mortgage the house first!

Chimo

mattyd
29-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Good call Chimo - appears to be pretty exposed all the way around once you get over the northern pt of Hamilton Is. all the way to Whitehaven. It would be a push, and ONLY if the conditions were near on perfect.

So you're telling me don't expect to pay $1.50 a litre fuel from Marina's up there....?? <ok...I'm sitting down!>

ozynorts
29-11-2012, 03:39 PM
You can get fuel at hamilton marina. http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/marina/
I won't guess at the cost. :)
You could also do an overnighter on Hamo. Head out one day to Hamo and stay on your boat for the night. You get full access to the island facilities, just need to book a berth prior to arriving. Can do this via radio or phone. Then next day fuel up, head to whitehaven and then home, or vice a versa.
Enjoy the trip.
Cheers
Ozy

Crocodile
29-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Hello mattyd,

I hate you already.
My cousin has done exactly this trip, they go from Airlie to Hamilton, restock on fuel, ice, water etc.
Do trips away and then back to Hammo for resupply. Did so for a couple of weeks, bastards.
I was up there a few weeks ago and I am planning the trip for next winter in my tinny.
Winter is the time to go, cooler, less windy no chance of cyclones.

mattyd
29-11-2012, 04:16 PM
For sure Croc - it's a dream I've always had in the back of my mind since buying the boat 5 years ago.

I would see these goons on Creek to Coast / Qld Weekender just pulling in the most amazing fish in the most spectacular of scenery, and I thought..... "one day I'm going to take my boat up there"

So struggling for ideas for my 40th, It struck me and I just thought bugger it, no time like the present!

I know it's a long drive up there, but the $$ I'll save by not going to a resort for a week, means that we can stay at this amazing 5-star place right on the marina:

http://www.peninsulaairliebeach.com/airlie-beach-apartments-photos.html

...and the bit I like the best:

“For the boating enthusiasts each apartment comes complete with its own 18 metre marina berth. Trailer boats are very welcome and trailers can be stored free of charge. We are the only complex in Airlie Beach that offers this facility. So why not bring your boat and enjoy the best of both worlds - boating, fishing during the day and enjoying the luxury of 5 star accommodation as well….”

ozynorts
29-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Ok initially I was envious, now I am downright jealous. That looks like a great resort.
Enjoy

Boat Hog
29-11-2012, 05:40 PM
For sure Croc - it's a dream I've always had in the back of my mind since buying the boat 5 years ago.

I would see these goons on Creek to Coast / Qld Weekender just pulling in the most amazing fish in the most spectacular of scenery, and I thought..... "one day I'm going to take my boat up there"

So struggling for ideas for my 40th, It struck me and I just thought bugger it, no time like the present!

I know it's a long drive up there, but the $$ I'll save by not going to a resort for a week, means that we can stay at this amazing 5-star place right on the marina:

“For the boating enthusiasts each apartment comes complete with its own 18 metre marina berth. Trailer boats are very welcome and trailers can be stored free of charge. We are the only complex in Airlie Beach that offers this facility. So why not bring your boat and enjoy the best of both worlds - boating, fishing during the day and enjoying the luxury of 5 star accommodation as well….”

Wow, that looks awesome! You lucky bugger! Catch some fish, do heaps of boating and take plenty of pics. Also, please do a trip report.

Have fun,

mattyd
29-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Will do for sure thanks Jim.

Furthest we've taken her before is up to Tin Can Bay (Great Sandy Straight inside of Fraser) and down south to Brunswick River, so this should top both of those (bit more style than our usual camping setup!).

It's a long time to be towing...hope the Forester is up to the task!

ozynorts
29-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey matty, even though you have had the trailer serviced recently it might be a good idea to carry a spare set of bearings in case!!!

Boat Hog
29-11-2012, 06:12 PM
You should do it easy. Remember you're not carrying all that camping gear! ;)

Driving straight through or doing it in two days. Be aware that accomodation in the Gladstone area is scarce.

Check out some of the charter boat company web sites too. They have some good information about boating in the area - just remember to 'adapt' the information to a smaller boat!

LittleSkipper
29-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Certainly appears to be quite a spectacular place to stay, boat & fish?

FisHard
29-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Dam, I just wrote this big post and the Blackberry ate it!
Short version:
Go to Hammo! They welcome little boats and Manta Ray Cafe does a seriously good lunch.
Go to Whitehaven! If you have the range, do it. It really is a lovely spot.
Tackleworld at BP is well worth a stop for gear and advice.
If you want to fish the outer reef, checkout Seafever Sportfishing.
Watchout for wind against tide in the passage. It really whips up the chop.
Try Hayman is for Mackeral and Langford Reef for Trout.
The Bruce hwy is a disgrace. Prepare yourself for frustration!
Watcgout for cyclones and check local advice on Stingers.
You're going to love it, and I bet this trip won't be your last!

warti
29-11-2012, 07:46 PM
We never made it to butterfly bay, but it was supposed to be pretty nice as well. Definitely watch the wind against tide across the passage. We hired a 40ft motor sailor and had some rough conditions. Hamilton island is a good stop for brownie points too, and a nice pub!

ozynorts
29-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Yep butterfly bay is awesome. What isn't up there though.

The-easyrider
29-11-2012, 09:17 PM
We did the Airlie trip this year the big 4 at rocky is a good overnighter nice clean cabins and Room for the boat and no ferels living there to go through your boat at night. The ramps at Airlie leave a bit to be desired only one has a pontoon but bugger all parking the other ones are surrounded by rock but do have parking so single handed launch and retrieve are not possible with a glass boat. Whitehaven should be doable on 80L it only 26 nm from able point but I don't know your boat, you could launch Shute harbour it's 5 nm closer. Best close snorkelling is langfords reef.

Tinspo
30-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey Matty,

Before you schell out on that book mentioned in an earlier post, grab a copy from the BCC library... they have 5 and will deliver to your closest library.

Cheers,

Jeremy

bigjudge
30-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Mate just got back from doing the same thing,had a ball weather wasnt the best,dont forget to pack the snorkel and flippers,definately get the magic miles it will show all the good snorkeling areas,and what bouys you can tie up to,take a litte inflatable with you or something you can get to shore with when tied up.take your charts with you to the tackle shop at the bp the fellas there will give you all the info you need.
Mate drive safe that bruce hwy at the moment is a sh.......t show,have a good one.
CHEERS AND BEERS

mattyd
30-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Good idea on the BCC Library copy of 100 Magic Miles, I work in the city so I'll find out how long I can borrow it for. Sounds like the bible of the Whitsundays!

The inflatable would be a great way of getting to shore, I'm guessing that you can't always safely anchor on the beach at a lot of these places (day trips)?

I've heard from several people that the Bruce Hwy has a lot to be desired...I think that spare wheel & bearings may prove invaluable.

Like I say we don't currently carry a spare for the trailer, any idea where I can buy a 2nd hand one (just to use until you get to your destination / tyre repair place)?

Chimo
30-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Matt

Check these out http://www.charteryachtsaustralia.com.au/ CYA is a useful and helpful mob. Have been on their boats and when yours gets too cramped and hot at the time of year your going keep them in mind esp their specials in the hot times.

Cheers
Chimo

http://www.charteryachtsaustralia.com.au/images/map/WHIT-MAP-2-large.jpg

http://www.charteryachtsaustralia.com.au/Whitsundays-Islands-Sailing-Guide.php

mattyd
30-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Agreed Chimo, if I had a group I reckon one of those magnificent cats would make for an unforgettable holiday experience around the islands. You would need the numbers to afford the $600 - $1300 per night price tag!

But the luxury it would afford would be a trip to remember.... will keep them in mind for another trip.

I might call up a few marinas (Hamilton / Daydream) and find out how much it would cost and what is involved if I want to take my lady for lunch as some earlier posts have suggested. It's $55 each to take the ferry from Airlie to Hamilton, so I'd need to work out if it's cheaper to take our own boat over to Hamo for lunch (taking into account fuel and mooring fee - if applicable).

cormorant
30-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Good idea on the BCC Library copy of 100 Magic Miles, I work in the city so I'll find out how long I can borrow it for. Sounds like the bible of the Whitsundays!

The inflatable would be a great way of getting to shore, I'm guessing that you can't always safely anchor on the beach at a lot of these places (day trips)?

I've heard from several people that the Bruce Hwy has a lot to be desired...I think that spare wheel & bearings may prove invaluable.

Like I say we don't currently carry a spare for the trailer, any idea where I can buy a 2nd hand one (just to use until you get to your destination / tyre repair place)?

Matt . Carry pump / compressor and tyre plugs as well. Yes I know the upsides and downsides of using them .Check your jack will actually work on the railer as many don't go high / low enough- block of wood or dig a hole ;D Don't skimp on a spare tyre, put a quality tyre on a rim and also padlock it to the trailer and check you actually have a wheel brace to undo the lugs. .

We used a lot of fuel running against the tide as it rips through so timimg your journey or running close ( not too close) to islands and picking your angles makes a bit of difference.
A cheap 2nd hand 25l tote tank ( or someone here will lend you one) you can plug in is a easy option to give you a bit more range and back up fuel.
Whenever up far North we carried a thermos with hot water and vinegar and a little 12v jug to boil water or camp stove in case we stood on a ray or got done by stingers. A handheld portable radio is cheap insurance as well if you have any battery issues and no one is about.

Carry plenty of water and have a brilliant time as it really is a wonderful spot.

If it blows like hell go down to the marina and slip the crew of one of the big sailing tri or cats half the going rate ( that is all they get after booking commissions) and spend half a day doing speeds you won't believe under sail surrounded by backpackers and snorkelling in protected waters with BBQ -hmmmm.

Chimo
30-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Matt

As Cormorant hinted, make sure all of you have top quality stinger suits. Swam once without mine on (lazy) and coped a stinger around the neck. Our Chef had plenty of vinegar and hot waters never a problem on a cat but at that time of year they are around. The channel between Hamo and Whitsunday Is can be a bugger if you are going the wrong way against wind and current. Also because of the tides +- 6m and the coral you really don't want to get caught beached / on coral at low tide hence the inflatable is a must as is a good anchor system.

Not to detract from your planned trip with your boat, going out on a charter is an easy way to get a heap of local knowledge from people who really do not want you to stuff up one of the boats they are running for some lucky offsite investor. One of the 32ft monos is a good way to get into it IMHO http://www.charteryachtsaustralia.com.au/bareboat-catamaran-Beach-House.php

Cheers
Chimo

Lancair
30-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Ive done the bareboat yacht charter up there 3 times now. As a kid with my family, for my schoolies week and for my honeymoon. Can not recommend it highly enough. Certainly the way to see the Whitsundays.

My mate has done a week long trip, camping on beaches or sleeping on the boat (CC Hustler bow rider), they used an inflatable to get to the beaches due the extreme tides. He towed from the GC and blew one bearing on a brand new trailer he bought for the trip. (boat was normally kept at runaway bay in the racks and had no trailer at all for it) Taking a spare set is good advice.

I also can highly recommend doing a sailing/snorkelling trip on a fast sailing boat. I did one on Ragamuffin, its so awesome doing 12k-15kts upwind, in a 12kt breeze and slicing through the wind against tide chop (which can get nasty in the main passage as mentioned previously in this thread) in such a large vessel.

My next trip will be chartering a cat sailing boat and taking my Tournament 1800 along as well. Carry some spare fuel on the cat in jerry's or refuel at Hamo. Ive already enquired about doing it with one of the mobs there, and as long as my boat is moored seperately at night ie: cant leave it on a painter tied to the yacht, they dont have a problem with it.

Id say go for it, your plan sounds awesome and as others have said I am very jealous.

ovakil
30-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I would take a spare complete hub for trailer.
Road between rocky and mackay is just about all bush with no spare parts.
I broke a fanbelt in holden 202,had to get one off racq.
Have a great time.

EdBerg
30-11-2012, 11:02 PM
I did a 7 day sail trip up there about 25 years ago and also hired a 25ft boat for a week on our honeymoon, we had a great time, top up the fuel at Hamilton Island and carry a spare tank, you can stay overnight at Hamilton, that way you can have a feed and a shower, wash your clothes if you want, go for a restaurant feed, ect.. One thing I would recommend is that you stock up on bug repellent, the sandflies are much more viscious than the ones down south and much smaller which on me leave a huge welt which itches for weeks, as they are extremely small, they will go through most screens, and keep an eye out for Box jellyfish although they are mostly near the mainland.

I seem to recall that there is a dangerous very strong tidal current between 2 Islands on tide changes, not sure of the exact name or position as it was very long time ago, might have been something like (Solway Pass ?), I was on a 60ft yacht and I was concerned about the huge whirlpools sucking down the 14ft dinghy that was being towed behind us, they were about 6-8ft across. The river mouth on Whitehaven beach was great for casting lures to the fish hanging around at the tide changes in the shallow, a bit like like casting for trout! except they were Queenfish, Trevelly and other assorted fish. A lot of the islands have reef areas but you would have to check the fishing zones before you do as a lot of the areas are now restricted to fishing.

All in all I think that you will have a great time.

stevemid
01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Mattyd,
There's heaps of the older 100 magic miles books around - you don't need a new one as the posi of the islands hadn't changed much. Watch the tides up there. They are fast and in that small a boat do not travel when strong winds blow against the direction of the tide. The waves really stand up.
Steve

mattyd
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Cheers Steve. The copy I've got from the BCC library is a pretty recent edition (7 or 8) & I'm going to extend it til end of Jan & take that with us.

I'll be approaching the passage with a LOT of caution and prob won't venture past the Molles (maybe Long Island) unless it is VERY nice 5-10 knot conditions. My wife would never boat with me again if I ruined a good trip by bashing through downright hairy conditions that I've read about when wind meets tide up there....
In saying that I also read about a lot of smaller boats (4-5m) on this forum that get all around the islands no sweat, but I would want to plan the return to Airlie each afternoon pretty carefully. The last thing I want is to be enjoying Whitehaven or Hook, then face a nasty 2 hour trip back through 2m+ washing machine conditions :(

The worst I've been in this boat is (don't laugh) the entrance to Brisbane river in a 20 knot easterly with a strong outgoing tide. It was a swampy mess with 1.5-2m waves hitting us on all sides and surfing down the front of a few.....bloody horrendous I can tell you. And that was only Moreton Bay! It scares me to think what the Whitsunday passage can throw up at you. If experienced skippers in 40 footers avoid it like the plague, then I'll be darn sure I go nowhere near the bastard if it's blowing up against the tide.

mustang5
04-12-2012, 10:08 AM
I wasnt overly impressed with Hamo Island.. Whitehaven Beach and Whitsunday Island however, are well worth it!

If you want somewhere quiet, check out the deserted Brampton island.

Pick your tides... The narrow sections between the islands can cause the heart to skip a few beats at times. Pretty well covered & sheltered for the most part though.

For the towing, take a spare everything because the beat up stretch of road north of Childers up to Mount Larcom will definitely rattle some bolts.

For the trip, try to plan it so you are not doing the Rockhampton - Mackay stint at night.... There are some LOOOOOONG and very BORING stretches of road, especially around the Malboro area.. Tiring stuff.

Have fun will be a blast!!!

Oh, about 2km out from whitehaven beach is a shoal which raises from 50m of water up to 7m.. Troll around that and hold on ;)

gr hilly
04-12-2012, 08:15 PM
1n the early 80s i done this trip and since ive repeated it 6 more times the last trip being 91,i towed my 19c hains bloody heavy lump,take spair ruber stops and rollers for trailer and watch the tides they are big.it is part of our beautiful qld that will blow you away enjoy.
cheers,gr hilly

seren-y-mor
08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
hi matt, if your planning on heading out to whitehaven from the mainland you would be better off launching from shute harbour as its a lot closer than abel point and a pretty shelterd boat ramp, head around the southern side of whitsunday island then through solway pass. Now it can kick up a little through solway pass so as long as its under 15 knots from the southeast you will have no dramas, if it picks up when your there just wait for the slack tide or stay the night (its nice and sheltered from anything exept a north easter)and head back early before the wind picks up its only wind chop not much swell up here but can get short and steep, its a great spot and well worth the run. if we get a northly when your here head into chance bay (just before solway) its nice in there on a northly wind and some nice coaral too. if you launch from abel point head straight up to bluepearl bay on the northen side of hayman island its like snorkeling in an aquarium and its the pick of them all with public moorings and only 16nm from abel.

bustastu
09-12-2012, 08:41 PM
You wont regret it. Once you've taken your boat up there - it will become a yearly event, well it has for me. Takes 13hrs from the Sunshine Coast leaving at midnight so only 1 more from Brisi. A quick stop at Rocky for breakfast and then onto Airlie for check in. If your heading from Abell Point to Pioneer Point it will take you about 5 - 10 minutes if the weather's good and then split North Mole and Mid Mole to head over to Hammo. Unleaded fuel is bout $2 litre at present and their new fuel jetty is easy to use. About $50 for a berth per night if you want power and water, cheaper if you just want to leave it for a few hours. Best advice is if you can fit it in - take your own bait. Heading north off Hayman will be closer than Hammo and trolling through Nara Inlet is always good. As everyone has said, its weather dependant. Watch the weather reports - tides and wind and 100 Magic Miles is the Whitsundays bible. Sea Breeze also has Hamilton Island wind readings. Youll have a ball.
Stu

upstart
09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey upstart - you don't know how long it would take from Airlie (doing ~ 20-25 knots?). Only concern is fuel (80l). Maybe we could fill up at Hamilton on the way back assuming they had the facilities to do so?

Mate I'm not sure on that. My brother lives down that way and he takes his leaky old 5m centre console tinny to whitehaven but he leaves from Shute Harbour.

I used to have a Freedom just like yours and would take it to the reef proper out from Townsville. 60 + km each way. If you have ten to fifteen knot winds then it'll be a piece of cake.