PDA

View Full Version : DIY Storage Cabinet For Centre Console Leaning Post.

Goldfinch
28-11-2012, 03:46 PM
After getting a couple of quotes for a custom storage cabinet for the new centre console my neighbour said, why don't you just make one. I said, yeh, why not. So I spent a few evenings and a couple of days and here's what I finished up with. Thought I would share this in case someone else wants some ideas. Total cost was approx $150.

1. Measure and draw up plans (subject to change)
2. Purchase plywood, screws, right angle, glue, hinges, undercoat, puddy
3. Mark out pieces on plywood
3. Use neighbour and his circular saw to cut pieces
4. Drill and counter sink holes for main housing
5. Cut right angle brackets for tackle trays and drawer slider, space correctly and drill holes
6. Counter sink all holes on right angle
7. Drill holes for swing door hinges
8. Assemble roughly, measure up drawer and cut pieces with neighbour and saw
9. Assemble drawer and check that it fits
10. Cut and insert sleeve for drawer section to create water proof seal
11. Pull apart all pieces, puddy any holes or knots, then apply 3 coats of sealer to edges and all areas that will be screwed
12. Glue and screw all parts except lid and allow to dry
13. Cover right angle with masking tape to protect
14. Puddy all screw holes, seal all edges with sealant
15. Apply 2 coats of sealer to all wooden areas
16. Attach lid and puddy and seal
17. Visit mate who is artist and use his seriously toxic automotive paint with loads of hardener and flexi ingredient. Apply 2 coats
18. Insert water seal rubber on drawer insert
19. Attach drawer handle, bungy straps and rubber feet
20. Buy some strips of leather (dog collar material) and use to strap cupboard to leaning post frame
21. Fill with tackle, sit back and admire :-)

Goldfinch
28-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Last 2 photos....

ozynorts
28-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey Goldfinch, that is brilliant. You could sell those and make a killing.
Cheers
Ozy

Fed
28-11-2012, 04:26 PM
I was happy with a box & padded seat I built you must be over the moon Goldfinch, top job.

wayno60
28-11-2012, 11:36 PM
nice work goldie, and a good use of other wise wasted space.
can you put a condenced version in the "YOUR INVENTION" thread, above in the sticky section .

johncar
29-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Excellent work, looks like she hit the spot perfectly and on a low budget too, even better..

wayno60
29-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Also, IF you happen to forget to do up the bungy strap what stops the draw from ending up on the floor?

Goldfinch
29-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Also, IF you happen to forget to do up the bungy strap what stops the draw from ending up on the floor?

It's a pretty tight fitting drawer so it would take a lot of bouncing around for it to end up on the floor. That's why I have a good skipper on board ;-)