PDA

View Full Version : Origin Boats building "Mini Me"

johncar
28-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Well it's been going on since about April 2012 my decision to try and scrape enough funds together for a 5m centre console being a one man fishing boat that is for using both up a creek and safely offshore. I want something that will cruise around 20Kt and use about 10LPH. Looked around 2nd hand for a while but there was always something that didn't quite sit well.

Love my 660 fisher and hope to have it until I keel over, not an option to sell and downscale any time hopefully but it is just a fair amount of boat to look after well so to duck out for an hour or two's fishing seems a bit hard when I think about at least a couple of hours to clean her all up and put away. So I decided that before I become too decreped I will add a smaller boat to the family.

Was looking around for a while but I think that the workmanship in my Fisher has just spoilt me in a way and trying to find a sub 5m CC built with similar features proved hard to find. So while down at Origin Boats checking out my friend Jeffs build earlier in the year, I just decided that was it, this is what I will be happy with. Asked Col for a price and put down a deposit.

Have bought a second hand trailer already and a Suzuki DF 90 will go on it. I have not added any fancy inovations of my own, pretty much stock standard bare boat which is amazing anyway.
The guys at Origin are doing an awesome job and will be handing it over when all the welding is done. I will then organise fit it out myself, doing as much as I can to save $$.

Anyway enough jabbering, some progress pics for those who never tire looking at boat builds.
Tried uploading pics and got too frustrated with sizing etc so if interested check out the link below, seems to work better with Google Chrome rather than IE.

http://s610.beta.photobucket.com/user/johncar/story/2043

A couple of pics in a post further below if the link is not your thing..

Argle
28-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Great looking little rig John - you will be hard up choosing which boat to take - a decision many of us would envy!!

Cheers

ozynorts
28-11-2012, 02:45 PM
That is an awesome looking boat. Mind saying how much? Can PM if you like.
Cheers
Ozy

cobiaman
28-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Certainly looks the goods mate!

fisho8
28-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Very Nice JC you will love that mate they build a great boat.:)

johncar
28-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for checking it out chaps. I think I worked out the posting pics thing for anyone who doesn't want to follow the link here's a couple of shots to date. It's an Origin Axis 5000 build I forgot to mention.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt187/johncar/Origin%20Pics/DSC021786.jpg

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt187/johncar/Origin%20Pics/DSC022426.jpg

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt187/johncar/Origin%20Pics/DSC022486.jpg

STUIE63
28-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Very nice looking boat. Guys take the time and checkout the photo bucket link it is worth it

Alchemy
28-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice boat JC. Your pics bring back happy memories of my build. I look forward to seeing your build all the way through to completion.

Regards,
Dave.

johncar
29-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Stuie and Dave,
I just had another look through all your Alchemy build pics Dave, never get sick of looking at these things coming together, fabulous looking setup, hopefully all still going well for you.
This little CC is just a baby by comparison to Alchemy but I know I will love it and with health holding up will use it a plenty.

Dan5
29-11-2012, 09:07 AM
It will be good mate.....speaking from expiriance that is! ........The 90 will do the job and the 140 i put on mine is a little overkill really............the only major problem i've had with my Origin boat is since i've had it i've been flatout at work for the last 12 months so i have only put 35hrs on it..........soon to change i hope.

Keep the pics coming.

Dan

johncar
29-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi Dan, Thanks, well I hope that you do get out and put some more hours on yours, 35Hrs is just not good enough! I followed your build too when you did it and remember you had some little issues with weight at the stern but I understand why you wanted your space up front. Part of my influence to go the lighter DF90 so I thank you for your feedback on that, although I would have liked 140 horses too :) I have positioned my console more in the older conventional spot just forward of midships so that I will be at just behind mid ships when driving and leaving about equal space fore and aft . My fishing is usually all round the boat in Moreton Bay and beyond so the CC should be good. I will fit some Bennetts tabs on as well as I intend to use this boat offshore on a decent day, so hopefully it will trim up nicely when needed. Col seems to think it will be good so fingers crossed.

Dan5
29-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I have now fitted a permatrim to the outboard but i have not had a chance to test it out yet...........going by what they have done on my other boats and mates boats i think it will more than cure any issues i have......raising the motor and selecting the right prop has helped to no end but with the big motor and the console rear mounted and having 3 guys sitting down the back it was still ass heavy and bow light........the permatrim will fix this........

They really are a dry boat for their size,that big reverse chine really pushes the water back down.......great design.

Dan

johncar
29-11-2012, 10:20 AM
OK yes Dan, the Permatrim should help a lot, hope it does the trick for you otherwise you will just have to leave a couple of those mates on the shore or use them as forward ballast, and yes the hull does look a great design. Really looking forward to getting her on the water, always an anxious wait but I want to do a decent job of the fit up and wiring so she is fairly bullet proof. Think I will be most often on my own so I hope the weight will be fine. 200L of fuel tank in the centre and 85kg of me should help to settle it down.
Did you fit hyd or electic tabs to yours?

Dan5
29-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I hav'nt fitted any tabs to mine mate......good option but not really need IMO.

Dan

Jeff72
29-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi john,

Looking great. Saw it yesterday when i dropped 'OCD' off for the screens etc. Just a great size and really capable package. Enjoy the fitup! Do you think you'll get it prior to xmas?

Jeff

johncar
30-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks Jeff, Probably your fault I am now working harder to pay for it lol but yeah really looking forward to getting her all fitted out and commisioned. I haven't asked Col about handover but hopefully that can happen before Xmas because I have a bit of time off to do some work on it at home..
Hope you didn't hold them up too much with OCD work, gotta get mini me finished... I bet OCD's coming up well. Got any more pics?

Jeff72
30-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks Jeff, Probably your fault I am now working harder to pay for it lol but yeah really looking forward to getting her all fitted out and commisioned. I haven't asked Col about handover but hopefully that can happen before Xmas because I have a bit of time off to do some work on it at home..
Hope you didn't hold them up too much with OCD work, gotta get mini me finished... I bet OCD's coming up well. Got any more pics? pretty sure yours will be right for xmas. I saw some rails on the bow today! Will update my thread tonight. Finally got some progress. Hope to be on the water for xmas fingers crossed. BTW Your boat was featured in a you tube clip Col posted on facebook.

johncar
30-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks Jeff, hoping so for xmas. Bow rails hey, that'll doll her up a bit. I wish you well in getting yours done but can't rush these things hey.
I will keep an eye out for your update and check out Cols FB too
Origin Boats at FB if anyone interested mine is the basic CC Cols walks over briefly towards the end of the vid. http://www.facebook.com/OriginBoats?fref=ts

littlemac
30-11-2012, 09:15 PM
sweet looking lines i like the look of it

cheers

brett

johncar
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Some updates this week for anyone interested.
Railings, mounting plates for trim tabs, tacked in, centre console and mounting getting more work. Hopefully this week she will be ready to bring home for the next bit, when I get busy :)

Dan5
08-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Looking good mate.........Whats the go with the hull sheet protruding out past the transom? Col must have changed the design a little?..........Also whats the boxed in section an the r/hand side at the end of the side pocket for?......

Dan

johncar
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Looking good mate.........Whats the go with the hull sheet protruding out past the transom? Col must have changed the design a little?..........Also whats the boxed in section an the r/hand side at the end of the side pocket for?......

Dan

Hi Dan, Thanks. With the bottom sheet protrusion on the rear I don't know for sure but I see that they are doing that on some of the other boats as well. I assumed it to be part of their current designs and possibly to help with a little more lift out of the hole. Col was saying that customers are often putting the bigger motors on their boats and he has also had to make other design changes to help accommodate this. I would say it's true with the trend to bigger 4 strokes and many of us do put the biggest HP the boat is specified for, it's only natural.
I was very tempted to put the DF140 on mine too but at the end of he day I wanted a smaller boat with lowish running costs so I went middle of the HP range for that model with the DF90. Hope I made the right choice for my purposes which are good economy at cruising speeds 15 - 25 Knots. I hope the boat will plane OK at lower speeds too if the going gets ordinary out there, but I am not worried about top speed so long as the engine, boat and prop are all running well together.

That box section along the starboard side is to route control cables, steering hoses and any wiring to and from the stern. There is a 100mm conduit through the floor under the centre console that feeds into a tray under the floor which feeds into that box section up the side that you can see. All cables, hoses and wiring will then be run up under the starboard side deck to wherever they have to go. The side facing the centre console has yet to be cut out top to bottom and a removable cover will be made and installed for easier access for routing etc later.
Hope all that makes sense

Squidlet
09-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Ripa little rig their john,nice to see another build thred,how good is it to see them evolve into your pride and joy!
Cheers Chris.

johncar
13-12-2012, 05:35 PM
It will be my pride and joy for sure. Col rang today and said she is ready to be picked up tomorrow so that's very exciting. Looks like I know what I will be doing over xmas, must take my time and do a good job of finishing the outside off, fitting out, wiring and plumbing etc. The guys at Origin have acid washed and clear coated Sharkhide the inside and decks of the boat for me which will make life a lot easier with looking after it and taking the glare and reflection off the new ally surface, so it will have a protected dull silver appearance. I will be sanding the outside sheets to a fine finish and again clear coating with Sharkhide to make it easy to clean and maintain a great appearance. There will be a little bit of vinyl wrap on the sides to incorporate the Origin brand and model plus the rego numbers but that will be it, nice and basic.
This is a boat that will be just about capable of going anywhere in normal conditions, up a creek or out to sea and easy to tow and launch anywhere so really looking forward to many hours together hehe.
Will post some more pics when I get her home over the weekend.

ozynorts
13-12-2012, 05:38 PM
awesome news mate.

SunnyCoastMark
14-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Hey JC,
I bet you are jumping out of your skin.;D That is such a good Christmas pressy. Is Col gift wrapping her for you?

Dunno if you have a partner or anything - but if you do - I bet she won't be seeing much of you over the break. You might have to do some strategising there............

Mark

Jeff72
14-12-2012, 07:27 PM
It will be my pride and joy for sure. Col rang today and said she is ready to be picked up tomorrow so that's very exciting. Looks like I know what I will be doing over xmas, must take my time and do a good job of finishing the outside off, fitting out, wiring and plumbing etc. The guys at Origin have acid washed and clear coated Sharkhide the inside and decks of the boat for me which will make life a lot easier with looking after it and taking the glare and reflection off the new ally surface, so it will have a protected dull silver appearance. I will be sanding the outside sheets to a fine finish and again clear coating with Sharkhide to make it easy to clean and maintain a great appearance. There will be a little bit of vinyl wrap on the sides to incorporate the Origin brand and model plus the rego numbers but that will be it, nice and basic.
This is a boat that will be just about capable of going anywhere in normal conditions, up a creek or out to sea and easy to tow and launch anywhere so really looking forward to many hours together hehe.
Will post some more pics when I get her home over the weekend.

Great news john

Bet you're excited. Saw it the other day down at origin and thought it was getting close. Have fun fitting it out over xmas. Looking forward to seeing you work through it

Jeff

Lucky_Phill
14-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I popped into Origin today.

Spoke to Col about all sorts and looked over " mini me ". Nice :)

Also looked over the 7.7 currently sitting waiting for painting.

John. the trailer under Mimi Me looks like it's been shortened a tad ????

cheers Phill

johncar
14-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah well thanks Gents, picked her up today and quite a substantial little boat once up on the trailer and yes Phil I was looking around for a trailer new or used for a while and wanted the 2.4m width but all I looked at were to long or too narrow. This one popped up second hand, the right width but a bit long so I cut about 350mm off the back of it and it worked out pretty good although I didn't really need tandem. The price seemed Ok though. I may convert it to single axle yet but I will live with it for a while as there are definitely benefits to tandem.
So I know what I will be doing over Xmas, some will be laborious, some will be rewarding but at least the wife will know where to find me lol.
No christmas wrapping from Col but a nice little present just the same. And Jeff I may need some of your guidance on finishing the hull, Col said he was impressed with the finish you were getting on "OCD"..

Aussie123
14-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Jeff has some nice goodies for his boat now.
It will be nice to see some pics of both these Origin boats once they are fitted out.

johncar
15-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Thought I would get straight into it, sanding the sides this morning did a square foot needed a rest. 99 to go and I am sure I will be skinnier by the time I get both sides done :/ but yes the end result should be good :)

johncar
20-12-2012, 07:32 PM
OK some more pics which tell the story better that me talkin' about it. these pics are when I got it home before I started on sanding the side sheets. The guys at Origin acid washed the inside and coated it with Sharkhide for me, it came up nice didn't trust myself with the acid although I will be doing some acid wash on some smaller areas.
As you can see though the outside needs some work :-?

johncar
20-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Fast forward, a few days later I have been busy on the orbital sander and sharkhide. Just tidying up the outside and I am very happy the way she is shaping up, again I will let the pics tell the story. Been a bit of a chore and a bit sore but satisfying work..

backlash08
20-12-2012, 07:49 PM
looks great!

Jeff72
20-12-2012, 08:11 PM
John

Good to see you didn't give in. Hope the new discs helped. Did you do it inside the shed? That stuff gets everywhere! Have you already sharkhided the sides (no offence if you have just cant tell in the pics). If so did you roller it on and how much did you use per coat?

Be careful it doesn't like metho! I found out the hard way. Doesn,t come off just marks it. Had to redo a few bits myself and a few to go. Most happened when i was fitting up and cleaning up the dreaded SIKA.

Looks like you took it to at least 120 grit? Or more? I was really surprised there was as much external grinding as there was particularly on the sides. One visit to origin the sides were virgin and looked really good and the next they were scuffed up. Was it the side pockets behind that required the grind or something else. I almost thought you were going to get away without any side sheet sanding for a while there. You certainly have got it right now though well done.

johncar
20-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Jeff, yes thanks very much for the discs, used quite a few of them but mostly 120's. Some 80's in the rougher spots, I finished it of with 150's that I had from Col. I found that it is not good to go too fine as I started to get shiny spots which I didn't want so 150 was max for me. Just wanted a fairly matt look.
Yes I have the shark hide on in the Pics but I probably could have done a better job, even though it was in the shed, has been quite hot and the stuff was tacking off so quick so it's a little streaky but will do the job for now.

I asked Col if they would disc sand the weld pimples caused from welding in all the internal bits, floor, side pockets, anchor well and so on. I knew that they would give me grief with the orbital and I had no intention of leaving the mill scale on anyway. Didn't trust myself with the disc sanding, half blind these days and not so steady hands.

Yes I know with the Metho and you need to be careful using it to clean up Sika too while it hasn't cured as it can stop it curing properly. I usually try and leave it and clean any excess off after it has set.

Jeff72
20-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Jeff, yes thanks very much for the discs, used quite a few of them but mostly 120's. Some 80's in the rougher spots, I finished it of with 150's that I had from Col. I found that it is not good to go too fine as I started to get shiny spots which I didn't want so 150 was max for me. Just wanted a fairly matt look.
Yes I have the shark hide on in the Pics but I probably could have done a better job, even though it was in the shed, has been quite hot and the stuff was tacking off so quick so it's a little streaky but will do the job for now.

I asked Col if they would disc sand the weld pimples caused from welding in all the internal bits, floor, side pockets, anchor well and so on. I knew that they would give me grief with the orbital and I had no intention of leaving the mill scale on anyway. Didn't trust myself with the disc sanding, half blind these days and not so steady hands.

Yes I know with the Metho and you need to be careful using it to clean up Sika too while it hasn't cured as it can stop it curing properly. I usually try and leave it and clean any excess off after it has set.

You're absolutely bang on with the sharkhide going off in the heat before you get a chance to finish it off. I ended up doing it at night after having to remove a couple of stuff ups and redo. I still quite a bit i still want to do and will do at night and also thought about chilling it before use to slow the volatilisation process. I didn't think at first it would happen to any great extent but boy does that solvent flash off quick in 30 plus degrees!

johncar
05-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Had a few days off over chrissy and new year so been fitting out the boat with all the usual. Glad I don't do it for a living, couldn't afford to pay myself at the speed I work at these days..lol
Very exciting day today firing up the motor for the first time, looking like a 2 stroke at first with all the smoke in the air but she soon cleared and running silky smooth and clean.
Hopefully get her registered this week and have a first run later in the week, weather being half reasonable.
Some pics to show it's basic setup so far: Gotta work out some shade soon as I can save a few more $$

rosco1974
05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
look really good mate,got to be happy with the way it come up
cheers rosco

Jeff72
05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Great work john. Cant wait to see her on the water! Whats the seat box like?

Prowl n Wolf
05-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Awesome looking rig JC. I was so close to going down the custom platey with Col before i bought the sig and every time i see one of his builds i bloody wonder what if??? Congrats on a great lookin boat.

ericcs
05-01-2013, 08:55 PM
what a fantastic setup, hard to picture it's only 5m. do you plan to put something over the floor, i'd imagine it would get hot in the sun.
the flat sanded finish looks awesome, it's a credit to your workmanship as well as the fitout!

johncar
05-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Great work john. Cant wait to see her on the water! Whats the seat box like?

Hi Jeff, Not sure I want a seat box. Thinking about just having the esky on the cockpit floor and I will pull that up if I want to rest the old legs. If I do anything I think it will just be a bum rest. Not a real lot of space in these things and when fishing I'd prefer to have minimal clutter.

johncar
05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
what a fantastic setup, hard to picture it's only 5m. do you plan to put something over the floor, i'd imagine it would get hot in the sun.
the flat sanded finish looks awesome, it's a credit to your workmanship as well as the fitout!

Thanks, I think it is a good way to go with the finish, taking a bit of the shine off the new Ally and helps to hide a few weld lines etc. I will see how the floor goes but I am thinking that I will just throw an old towel or two down if needed, wet them if i have to but I don't want anything that is hard to clean and deal with at the end of a day out, just nice to be able to give it a hose out and put her away.. when I can afford a T Top, that will also help keep a bit of sun off in the middle of the day.

ozynorts
06-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Mate it looks awesome... I would love to have on like that for the creeks and trolling the headland up here.
Cheers
Ozy

johncar
14-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, not quite finished yet, but are they ever?? Had her first launch yesterday morning at Spinnaker Sound ramp, always a bit nervous about what will go wrong because there is plenty that can between the boat motor and trailer. Everything went well though, have put a little cheap leccie winch on, so I wasn't too sure about it but it seemed to do the job well both launch and retrieve. The trailer is certainly good enough to drive on and off but have decided to preserve the trailer and keep it out of the water as much as practical. The winch was nice and quick.

The boat is amazing on the water, being quite choppy yesterday with 20kt of northerly but after an initial slow variable run for the first hour I was able to travel at any speed quite comfortably across the chop. Didn't record any figures yet but on first glance it all looked pretty good, I will do that on a calmer day.

A few more pics with the stickers on and some ramp slime for effect :)

tropicrows
14-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Nice rig, you must be very happy. Now to get some blood and guts in it.

Squidlet
14-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Hope you have plenty of good trips in tha new rig,look's great!
Cheers Chris.

johncar
14-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah as soon as this weather settles down a bit, heat waves, 25kt winds, and hoping to get a bit of shade in the way of a small fold down canopy, I will be certain to give it plenty of use. Just let me know where the fish and crabs are..?? and when??

Dan5
14-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Looking good mate.....nice clean lines hey.

Dan

Carry
15-01-2013, 10:26 AM
G'day John,

The boat came up a treat. Looks fantastic, good job. You will end up using it more than the big rig now!! Enjoy mate.

Cheers

Luke

Simonped
17-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Awesome boat John....after much debate your pictures convinced me to get a 4800, 4x4 origin boat built.....hope your enjoying your new purchase.

johncar
17-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Awesome boat John....after much debate your pictures convinced me to get a 4800, 4x4 origin boat built.....hope your enjoying your new purchase.

Thanks Simonped, it is coming along well. Congrats on your decision to purchase, the 4x4's are their most popular models and I am sure the chaps at Origin will build you a nice one. A friend of mine just ordered a 4.6 also, so it's good to keep them busy..

tunaticer
22-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Where did you get the Sharkhide from??

littlemac
22-01-2013, 09:04 PM
thats a sexy little beast

cheers

brett

johncar
22-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Where did you get the Sharkhide from??

Hi Jack, Col from Origin supplied me enough to get started. When I rang the Aust supplier for Sharkhide, he told me he can no longer get it from the US. I contacted the US supplier with no reply so I turned to Jeff Melville of Nyalic Aust.
Jeff promptly sent me a 1 quart tin of Nyalic which should be heaps for any finish off bits and touch ups down the track.
Nyalic seems to be compatible with sharkhide so should all be good

johncar
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Just putting up some fuel figures from today's water test. All running well, engine nice and quiet, I am very happy with the fuel consumption and all round performance. Enjoyable to drive this CC.

May be of some interest. I am a litres/Nm person but I tried to include some Kms/L, hope I did my conversions right but anyone is welcome to do their own and check my figures.

4000 RPM seems to be the most economical cruise speed

ozynorts
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
It's looking great mate. They are a great looking boat.

Dan5
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Good fuel figures there mate have to be happy with them.........Mine seems to be about 3.5-4knts faster at the same given RPM as yours but around 5-7ltrs per hr more consumption with the 140 going by the GMI10's.....

The 14x20 SS suzuki prop i put on really imroved fuel economy going by the gauges.

Dan

johncar
26-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Finally a decent weekend weather wise, I hope a few of you got out in your boats.
I decided to give the new boat it's first run offshore yesterday, took her out to Deep Tempest, probably couldn't have picked a nicer day 5 - 10 kts.
Went extremely well sitting on 20 kts average speed at about 12 litres per hour.
Only place I had to slow down was turning around Cape Moreton where the easterly swell was standing up a little against the run out tide but still managed it maintaining about 16 kts.
I wouldn't have minded a bit more of a challenge actually but not complaining.

So from Spinnaker Sound marina to Deep Tempest and general motoring around out there with multiple drifts picking up my bag limit of Snapper and a couple of other odds used 34 litres, about 4 hours total engine running time for the day. That 90 Suzuki smooth and quiet and very easy to live with.

Great little boat to handle and fish out of, caught it's first real fish, got to be happy :-)
I was on my own but an extra crew on board probably wouldn't things change.
By far my most economical trip out there and it was certainly quite comfortable for what it is, nice soft quiet ride and not one drop of spray anywhere, but yeah it was a nice day...

ozynorts
26-03-2013, 11:38 AM
That's a good outcome there Johncar. Hope it gives you many years of fishing days like that. :)

johncar
26-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Good fuel figures there mate have to be happy with them.........Mine seems to be about 3.5-4knts faster at the same given RPM as yours but around 5-7ltrs per hr more consumption with the 140 going by the GMI10's.....

The 14x20 SS suzuki prop i put on really imroved fuel economy going by the gauges.

Dan

Yeah sorry Dan I missed this post somehow. That makes sense with your rig with the extra horses.
I started with a 14 x 19 Suzuki ally prop and it was a bit steep for the boat so dropped to the next one down which is a 14 x 17" ally which it spins easily and up to full RPM 6300.
I have always fitted SS props to my boats assuming better performance over the ally and in fact did always improve.
Have been told though that the Suzuki ally props are very good and neglegible performance increase with SS so being on a short leash with this boat I have accepted that for now.
However I would like to try a couple of SS props just to see..

johncar
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
OK getting a boat built and fitted out is one thing but the main thing is to get out fishing right? Anyway glad to say I have taken the AXIS out 3 trips over the last month and fished from Caloundra Wide to Deep Tempest and plenty of decent fish have come over the side. It gets along nicely off shore averaging around 20 kts at 10 - 12 l/h and very easy to fish out of, even a decent Cobia dragged me around the boat once or twice.
It seems strange to only use about 35 litres for a day to get out there, run around all day and come home.
Very happy with the performance, very dry and soft quiet ride in fact it seems hard to get any spray to enter the boat. Took it for a run today to test out a few things I have done such as a new leaning post/seat/rod rack, new VHF, and I decided that the engine could possibly come up one hole, so it was blowing a good 22+kts against an outgoing tide around lunch time. Nice and lumpy but regardless it was good being out in it, everything worked well, engine height seemed good with no noticeable ventilation, still nice and dry in all directions even in that wind.
The tabs showed their value when punching into the wind with about a metre of short and sharp chop, without them engaged the nose was getting a bit tossed around a bit as you would expect. I just held my fingers on the bow down buttons until the boat just leveled out and powered through it unbelievably well.
So the main additions since last update are the seat which was a kit form thing I bought and adapted, it has a good size storage bin under the seat and 4 rod holders across the back so I don't have to have the rods on the floor and risk damage. A 74 litre Igloo marine ice box supplied by peterbo23 fits snugly underneath the seat so I was lucky with all that, Thanks Pete.
Two multi directional deck mounted rod holders with top sections supplied by Col at Origin and I made the spigots, they rotate and can lock at 45 degree increments, they work really well.
New Garmin 100i VHF installed because the Uniden I had was playing up a bit and I don't want a dodgy VHF.
Not a lot more to do to it now but just go fishing which is what I intend to do..maybe a bait board??