PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Rollers - what to use

Kram71
26-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm in the process of upgrading a trailer and have a question regarding the rear rollers and what is the best option. Currently there is a dual keel roller (one is a self centering) and then an angled bilge roller on either side (see photos).

Am I best to keep this set up, or is there a better way to do it? Due to some rust in the back cross member of the trailer there will be a new cross member getting welded in, so I'll have a blank canvas to work with. As you can see in one of the photos, one of the bilge rollers 'collapsed' when taking the boat off the trailer :-?

Trailer is to support a 17 foot fibreglass boat.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers8658486585

ozynorts
26-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey Kram, I am not sure of the way to go but once you decide look up these guys for your rollers. http://www.amu.net.au/ They are cheaper than any where else I have found.
Cheers
Ozy

stue2
27-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Use stainless steel pins in the rolers if u use them and rocking gangs of wobblers otherwise skids.

cheers Stu

cormorant
27-11-2012, 09:21 AM
With sealed ends on that trailer is it oil filled or does it have drain holes on the underside at the rear? Really check em out and see they are in a good state internally and will last long enough to justify the new rear crossmember.

Like above make up stainless steel pins and use a silicon spray on dry film lubricant not grease and the rear rollers will be really slippery. Seems like a lot of rollers and support but can't see what boat it is or how heavy it is.

It may be better with the new crossmember to cut the old off flush but have the new one silde over the rails and be bolted ( not through bolted) as that way it can be fully hot gal dipped and you don't cut or drill into your existing gal rails. If you weld a new one in it will be a point where rust starts no matter what you do. Seems a long way between keel rollers going forward but it might just be the camera angle.