PDA

View Full Version : Very low freeboard.....How would you fix it?

my v16c
26-11-2012, 04:29 PM
19 foot boat with 52cm freeboard.....bit low in my opinion. You wouldn't want the little ones to go in the drink.
How can you correct it...would you get rails made up going around the exposed areas with coaming pads? ....would that be practical?:-?
Any other ideas?
Yes, it's an American boat..........
Cheers 16c

finga
26-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Lose some weight or buy a new boat.

Gon Fishun
26-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Chop 'n' channel the deck springs to mind.

Crunchy
26-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Rails are the go....don't really need coming pads...will post a picture of rails on the quintessential low freeboard boat, the UB in a couple of days....free board highly over rated;)

suzygs1000
27-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Rails are the go....don't really need coming pads...will post a picture of rails on the quintessential low freeboard boat, the UB in a couple of days....free board highly over rated;)

Only by those who don't have much....

MEG-A-BITE
27-11-2012, 12:40 PM
I would be looking for another rig.When you start changing things on the boat that were not meant to be there when it was designed.It creates other headaches down the track.

Vitamin Sea
27-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I would be looking for another rig.When you start changing things on the boat that were not meant to be there when it was designed.It creates other headaches down the track.

Putting a set of side rails is not going to change any design features of the boat.

16C, Rails are the only practicle way of gaining a bit more "freeboard" if it's a concern with little ones.

Regards

VS

Camhawk88
27-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Only go out on low tide

Crunchy
27-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Only by those who don't have much....

Ohhhh dunno, more positives then negatives....

Positives
- easy to step in and out of the boat when picnicking at the beach, even 73y.o. Granny can get in and out:P
- easy to release unwanted fish without taking them out of the water
- easy to boat wanted fish
- easy to climb into from the water (snorkelling, diving for example)
- easy to lift in stuff (crab pots for example)
- holds less (unwanted) water as not shaped like a bucket-e.g. Rouge greenies

Negatives
- easier to fall out, but that has never happened in 5 years ( but come close a few times:-X)

Freeboard is for pussies....;D

juggernaut
28-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Hey Crunchy...is that a paddle board in your avatar. ;D