PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, sorta

WalrusLike
26-11-2012, 04:11 PM
To the bloke in the small runabout on Sunday at Couran Cove.

Your boat looked well used so its likely you have more experience than me. Therefore if our boats get in each others way it's likely my fault. So I am sorry. Sorta.

I was coming down from the pin to turn in to Couran. He was heading north up the main channel. I had a boat on my tail that I assumed was intending to continue south. There were huge boats heading north that mounded up some big wakes and a bunch of smaller boats all heading north at speed.

There was a gap! If I turn left quickly (hard-a-port for you old salts), I can get in to the cove. Only problem was one small vessel close in to the cove entrance heading north.

The bloke behind me had veered to the left of my wake so I had to go then or pull up and wallow in giant wakes till I could find a gap long enough to standing-start motor through.

I decided to go for it... the little boat would have to veer a bit to port to pass behind me, but not by much, and there was no one beside him to stop him doing so.

Instead he insisted on his right of way. I was NOT going to stop and be a sitting duck for the boats coming north so I surged ahead and passed in front of him.

He was very upset and shaking his fist and indicating I should slow down. Given the near impossibility of a slow entry across that traffic, and the fact that I feared the boat behind me, I didn't see another choice. I wasn't any faster than all the traffic. Initially just barely on the plane at 20 knots.

As it turns out, the bloke behind me turned in too. I wish I had known he would.

In retrospect I think I should have slowed down and/ or passed too far along and done a u-turn then in from south. My bad call.

So I am sorry... but if you had of veered left slightly we would all have been happy. :)

PinHead
26-11-2012, 04:33 PM
now w..if you had given 2 short blasts on your horm everyone would have known you were going to turn to port...no dramas then.

I used to go down there a lot..always just turned in..cept for one day..the bloody ferry was coming out..that was one of those precious moments on the water.

Is Couran Cove open again ????

WalrusLike
26-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah PH I should've done that.... but a horn suited to the size of my small boat would no doubt sound like a strangled duck. :)

I don't know about Couran Cove but the Couran Point Resort is open. Straight to end of water instead of turning left at entrance.

They have a pool and a bar and meals. Quite nice.

PinHead
26-11-2012, 06:03 PM
yeah w..been for a stroll through Couran Point a few times. I once used the horn on the boat I had at the time but it was so bloody loud it nearly deafened me.

Couran Cove was great...drive the boat down there..hit the bar and restaurant..then drive the gin palace back again..relaxing weekends...LOL