PDA

View Full Version : Is it any wonder?

Argle
26-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Is it any wonder we see the amount of idiots etc doing the wrong thing on the water these days? Happened to be down on the Maroochy River on the weekend and I stopped at the Bradman St ramp for a look, now there were quite a few people about and boats coming in and out as you would expect on such a nice weekend.
What you would not expect is to see a boat full of people zooming up and down right in front of the ramp doing all sorts of loops and coming on and off the plane sending heaps of wash right onto the ramp....well I suppose you would say hah I see it all the time but this was a BOAT LICENCE TRAINING BOAT!!!!! How the hell are people going to understand basic courtesy if this is the sort of thing they are shown?????
I walked away shaking my head at that one

Cheers

johncar
26-11-2012, 11:48 AM
The Trainer obviously doesn't want to use any more fuel than necessary. I would have been taking action if I saw that and it was causing havoc, it is very poor behaviour indeed.

Chamelion
26-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Probably the same one I did my licence with.. He was having us go right in close to people fishing all along the oyster bank road side (half way between motorway bridge and bli bli).

Had a flick saturday on dusk too.. 3 minutes after arriving the group of young ethnics to my left pulled in a jack all of about 25cm and proceeded to slit its throat. I wanted to fu**ing throw them in the drink. :-/

Firsttimefisherman
27-11-2012, 06:17 AM
What you can do is take video on your phone getting the rego numbers nice and clear then take it to the local cop shop. Once you do the police may at least call the boat owner which in most cases should put the heebies up them.

cormorant
27-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Video is amazing in getting results. No conjecture over the circumstances and no commentary needed. The other powerful thing is to put it up on forums then people search for that trainer and see all the comments. See how the truck companies are responding when there is video of their trucks doing the wrong thing with their name written on the side in 4 foot letters. Some people just don't get it that everyone has a phone and everyone therefore has a camera or video .

When managing the start of kids dinghy races we take video of the powerboaters who go through the start line and have at times chased them down if they have been really dangerous and havent responded to requests to "wake up- keep watch " and have even radioed waterways or police to attend and shown them video on the spot if they are arrogant knobs. Some are just anaware but the jet boat operators and tour boats should be more responsible and show a example.
I keep seeing motor bike trainers having their riders riding in the middle of lanes on the oil and in blind spots - what the hell are they thinking.

gruntahunta
27-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Kids Dinghy Races??? Is that legal in public waterways? I would have thought one would need a defined area with a permit for any type of organized racing, especially when children are involved.

I do understand ur anger tho at the irresponsibility of some but chasing them is not a good idea, that's akin to road rage and I believe u could get prosecuted if a complain was made against u for doing it. But I say sink the mongrels.

Feral
27-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Must have been teaching ski boat operators.....

Either that or he was scared he would exceed the minimum 2.5 minutes experience each operator gets to meet requirements to get their licence........Time is money :-X

Argle
27-11-2012, 10:13 AM
I didn't have a phone with me at the time, but yeah it would have made for interesting viewing that's for sure.
It just amazes me that people who have the opportunity to show people the right way to do things just don't seem interested, like feral said its get the minimum 2.5 minutes and cha ching thanks for coming - next!!

WalrusLike
28-11-2012, 06:42 AM
When I did my licence a couple of years ago they seemed very keen on teaching responsible boating. (After a lifetimes boating)

I don't think all operators are tarred with the same brush.

deckie
28-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Remind him the Sydney way next time...repay the courtesy and throw snapper leads at him.

Argle
28-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I did actually think of doing it the "Ausfish" way and throw Snapper HEADS at him:) But alas I did not have any with me at the time!!