PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Turkey

Funchy
25-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Well I have been here a week and today is the first day the sun has come out. I am in Ankara, a city of ~7.8 million people all of whom have NO IDEA how to drive :P. I have travelled a fair bit and I tell ya this mob are amazing, traffic flows with what appears to be no road rules. The people are very friendly and the food is fantastic. There are limited fishing options in Ankara (a few small lakes, dams and rivers I understand) but I haven't had time to explore. I did however go down to Ulus (the older part of the city) and looked up some tackle shops. Well FBC they are not, but spent some time chatting with the the fellas in the various shops selling fishing gear and comparing fishing stories. A lot of fun and had a heap of laughs.

I picked up a 6ft Daiwa carbon fibre 1-3kg rod coupled with a Daiwa cheapo reel. (Bought mainly because I loved the rod, young bloke gets a new reel for xmas. Cost me 100 Turkish lira (About $55). Looking fwd to landing a few on it when I get home.
Also, bought a bit of bling for the missus so she will let me out the door for a fish the moment I get home and catch up on some sleep.

Anyway, one of the fellas here comes from southern Turkey on the mediteranean and has promised me a fishing trip next time I come over. Here are a few pics of the species he gets. Looks very similar to our tailor, shovel nose shark, a queenie and mulloway in amongst them I reckon.

I see the weather at home has been brillaint the last few days and the outlook for the week just as good. Lucky for you lot I suppose but crappy for me:-[

Post some reports fellow anglers as I miss my weekly fish!!

Chas & Clarry
25-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Great to hear a bit about your travels Funchy.

We will see what we can do about a fishing report for you next weekend, we just ate the last of our fish from the freezer (BBQ with a ginger, corriander, soy, chilli, honey etc marinade YUMMM) so we HAVE to get out next weekend :D.

Hope the rest of the trip is good for you

Tim and Trace

Funchy
25-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Great to hear a bit about your travels Funchy.

We will see what we can do about a fishing report for you next weekend, we just ate the last of our fish from the freezer (BBQ with a ginger, corriander, soy, chilli, honey etc marinade YUMMM) so we HAVE to get out next weekend :D.

Hope the rest of the trip is good for you

Tim and Trace

Cheers T&T, I get home early hours of Sat morning and will def be on the water Sunday!! Look fwd to your report :D

HeadBanger
25-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the post Funchy, it always amazes me to see that other countries around the world have such similar 'bread and butter' species to us. Good luck with the rest of your time there mate.

Cheers,
Kaidon

Funchy
25-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the post Funchy, it always amazes me to see that other countries around the world have such similar 'bread and butter' species to us. Good luck with the rest of your time there mate.

Cheers,
Kaidon

Thats for sure mate. Showed them some pics of flatties and they were very curious!!

Chimo
26-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi Funchy

Cash in your return ticket and use it towards this and sail it home. Great potential for M & Gs at a range of spots! http://www.nordhavn.com/brokerage/listings/frog_kiss/

Cheers
Chimo

PROS
26-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Great to hear you are blending in with the locals Funchy,

I am an import from Turkey.
Let me know please if you have any questions or need any help, will try my best.

We try to go back to Turkey every couple of years for a holiday.

Not sure if you are in to visiting historical places, you are in one of the historically richest countries in the world.

No road rules there but all works somehow, be careful crossing the road as they wont stop.

All the best

Max The Turk

Funchy
26-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Cheers Max, I am on a work assignment and have limited chances to explore but yes it is a great place for historical sites. Old roman bath houses etc here in Ankara. Thanks for the offer of advice too mate. :D

Funchy
26-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Ahhhhhh if only Chimo, if only :D

Chimo
26-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Much better than ladder arms (which are great by the way). Didn't they send you first class?

Cheers
Chimo

Funchy
26-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Much better than ladder arms (which are great by the way). Didn't they send you first class?

Cheers
Chimo

Yeah, came over business class which makes the 27hr journey a bit more palatable. Nice looking tub that but slightly out of my price range by about $360,000 :D

Sheik
27-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Mate I thought you were at Turkey beach when I read the headline! But you're a bit further away. Would love to visit Turkey. Beach that is, pining for a fish on the reef. WOUld also like to visit Ankara too but it's a bit out of my budget atm. Good trip back mate and hope the eather's kind when you arrive.
regards jim

PinHead
27-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Yeah, came over business class which makes the 27hr journey a bit more palatable. Nice looking tub that but slightly out of my price range by about $360,000 :D

27 hours? on a plane? you cannt be serious !!!!!!

Funchy meets Turkey..scary prospect

Funchy
27-11-2012, 09:37 PM
27 hours? on a plane? you cannt be serious !!!!!!

Funchy meets Turkey..scary prospect

Yeah mate, dont think you could make it.... I had to fly Brisbane - Sydney - Abu Dabi -Istanbul - Ankara

Teaching the guys here a few Austyralianisms such as everything is Hunky Dory, full as a fat ladies sock, better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick etc etc etc...

Daintreeboy
27-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Good stuff mate. That second last pic looks like a Leerfish. I've heard they go hard.

cormorant
28-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah mate, dont think you could make it.... I had to fly Brisbane - Sydney - Abu Dabi -Istanbul - Ankara

Teaching the guys here a few Austyralianisms such as everything is Hunky Dory, full as a fat ladies sock, better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick etc etc etc...

Only in Australia would you ever fly South to go North. Airlines are their own breed. Coming home via Perth for your convenience I guess ;);D

Funchy
28-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Only in Australia would you ever fly South to go North. Airlines are their own breed. Coming home via Perth for your convenience I guess ;);D

Yeah mate, trips anywhere other than real big destinations are usually done arse about. The return leg is same only in reverse ( Itinerary that is, not the plane) :D