PDA

View Full Version : Personal Epirb

Shark Poker
25-11-2012, 11:36 AM
How popular are the Personal EPIRBS for users of PWC/Jetskis?
Should I have one being in north Moreton Bay?

Todddo
25-11-2012, 01:15 PM
There are quite of alot of yakkers who go offshore that use them.
If it was me and my jetski was sinking, Id be happy to have an Epirb and a handheld radio to call for mayday.

The Woo
26-11-2012, 09:21 AM
I run a personal epirb AND a full size epirb on my PWC.

vegasfund
27-11-2012, 09:20 AM
I have one must have IMO. Just make sure its not one of the ones that go off if they are in water

Shark Poker
27-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Guys.
MSQ Info classes Moreton Bay as 'partially smooth', which is another matter, but means an EPIRB is not essential.
My thoughts are that wearing a personal beacon would be more useful, if it is attached to your PFD2, than a standard EPIRB stored in the fwd compartment.
Stacking it and losing the jetski is my concern. (Regardless of the kill lanyard being used)

QF3 MROCP
27-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Heaps of info about EPIRBs and PLBs on this blog site vhfradiocourse.com (http://romeo.vhfradiocourse.com/2011/12/30/sa1-distress-epirb-beacons---frequently-asked-questions.aspx)

Just make sure the PLB you buy floats, that's why EPIRBs are preferred as they must float to get approval.

Mr__Bean
27-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Stacking it and losing the jetski is my concern. (Regardless of the kill lanyard being used)

I think you are absolutely right.

I have had a scare when swimming hard to get to my ski and the waves and wind kept taking it away.

Thankfully my son on a second ski was able to take me to it.

Darren

vegasfund
28-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't want to see like i'm having a go here but i use my ski for surfing during cyclone swells as well as fishing and if you are using a ski in open water and don't have the ability to swim back to it after you come off (even at flat chat and the ski ending up a fair distance away) then I would suggest fishing off a boat and NOT a ski as you WILL fall off sooner or later and you MUST have the ability to swim back to it in any and all conditions.
Having said that having a personal one would come in handy if you fall knock yourself out/ hurt yourself and then are unable to get back to your ski.

Shark Poker
28-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Agree 100%
Luckily I am pretty good swimming in the sea, have even swam to retrieve lures snagged on beacons.
But coming from a 23 Longboat and 28 Bertram, where its hard to get airborne, I am seeking info and opinions.

Perhaps a PLB is a little extreme. No need to disturb Qantas. Maybe keep a smoke flair in a pocket on the PFD?
Pauly

The Woo
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Maybe I'm over cautious, but given the relatively low cost of such devices I have no issue running both. I've very fit and there's no issues with swimming to retrieve etc, but as I said, small investment for piece of mind. Cop a knock to your head or break your back, and a PLB could be a life saver.

I also run the full compliment of offshore flares. Storage space is ample in large modern skis, so for me at least, it's a no brainer. Each to his own though :)

Shark Poker
04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Woo,
Being up in the northern bay, have you made a round trip of Bribie Island?

The Woo
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Sure have mate, many times. Very enjoyable to take the outside in the morning and enjoy lipping and "teasing" the swells, then a bite to eat inside the bar, then a run home down the passage stopping off for a sneaky chilled beer at Mission Point.
Bliss. :D