PDA

View Full Version : Floatlining

TimBOO
25-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Hey all. Interested in seeing what your techniques for floatling for snapper are in shallow water say 6ft to 25ft? Ive got deep water floatlining down pat was just curious to hear how its done in shallow water...

Cheers

Snapper john
25-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey, TimBOO

Please share your deep water techniques.

Cheers

TimBOO
25-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Just a small as you can sinker on 2 ganged hooks on 30 pound mono and just keep letting line out till it gets smashed, hit the bottom or run out of line... Deep water i think is easier.

Dignity
28-11-2012, 07:00 PM
TimBOO, same technique used here and I have used a similar technique for shallow water although get rid of the sinker even to 25 metres especially if anchored. Not sure about burley in shallows as that usually brings the vermon out but I use it in deeper water.

johncar
29-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I would think the same with little or no lead, dependent on tide or current. In deeper water up to 100m I use the lightest line and rod I can get away with, about 4 - 8 KG with a 20 - 30 kg leader tied directly to the main line, running sinker onto the pair of ganged hooks if needed to get down.
In shallower water I would just go the same but perhaps a bit heavier in the main line but it would depend on if I was getting busted or not. Probably no sinker at all.

boomstix
29-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Have been using no sinker with a single circle hook around mud island this year in up to 8m of water, has been working quite well apart from having to avoid the birds that hit your unweighted bait. Just keep slowly letting the line out till it takes off, wait 3-5 seconds then flick the bail over, no need to strike.

TimBOO
29-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks all. Im off work tomorrow so i might go try these shallow water floatlining techniques around macleay island. Boomstix, what bait you using on the single circle hook?

TimBOO
29-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Full moon too so tides are up around the 2m meter mark and ill probably be in around 6-8m so ill bang a small ass sinker on around a surecatch 0 size and a full pillie. Would burley work in these dephs with these currents or would it be a waste of time?

Cheers
Timbo

sharkymark2
29-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Fish with 1 or 2 splitshots depending on tide. 20lb trace and 10 kilo braid. Use lots of burley but dont let your bait on to the bottom as you will pick up all the rubbish fish. I fished next to the red beacon at Macleay some years ago and caught 6 blue spot rays around 3 foot across fishing on the bottom. Certainly stretched the mono that time so never again just keep the bait off the bottom and as the tide slows reduce weight until you are not using any.

boomstix
29-11-2012, 11:05 PM
usually just use half a pilchard mate or use grinner fillets if we are unlucky and catch some. We burley with pilchard cubes as well. Just a few chunks every now and then. Good luck with the fishing :)

TimBOO
01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Sorry all. Didint get to get out as i went to a mates to help him on his blown 393 xe and got blind. Hahaha we all know how that is...