PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my tinnie ?

kind_cir
25-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Thinking of upgrading my mid 90's, 4 m Seahunter tinnie, the main reason being is it has low sides / not much freeboard. The 1999 sealink trailer needs new springs and axle but the frame is quite good and not rusty. The engine is a low hour 30 hp Suzuki 2010-2011 model. So realy I just need to change the hull to something better, so what should I do?

Sell whole package and start again.

Sell hull and trailer, and fit good engine to new hull and trailer.

Sell the hull on it's own.

Buy an old 20 hp cheapish to suit the age of the hull and trailer, and sell that as a package, and keep the 30 hp Suzuki for a new hull and trailer.

Realy I just want to get out of it the cheapest I can with at least a new hull.

tunaticer
25-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Your last suggestion sounds suitable and most cost effective. The axle if it is solid will most likely just need a wire buff up to remove the rust and then cold galv. Replace the springs and shackles if you think there is a chance of breakages in the near future.

kind_cir
25-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Yer, was thinking the hull and trailer would fetch around 1500, or i could add an old 20 hpfor around 5-700 and then get 3 k.

The axle and springs are well rooted realy, but prob good for another year or two if not towed long distance, which I don't anyway.

PADDLES
25-11-2012, 07:19 AM
hulls are cheap kind cir, just upgrade your hull and keep everything else if you're happy with it all. funny thing is that it's not common for just a hull to show up for sale second hand so you should sell it quick if it's priced right. for example i sold an old clark cutter hull (same problem as yours with no freeboard) in good nick for what it owed me at $450 and it was only advertised for a couple of hours before it was snapped up.

Feral
25-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Should pick up a hull for not much more than a grand.
Is your existing unit a light 4m hull? With lowish sides it sound slike it could be. Might be able to flog it as a "roof topper" to one of the freshwater boys. They will be wanting to run electrics, so no petrol motor is probably a bonus, as they dont have to pay for a motor they would only use once in a blue moon.

Chimo
25-11-2012, 07:39 AM
8643086431864328643386434Hi k c

Stick some aluminium box pods on it, either side of the motor. Amazing how much better my little tinny is with them on. 100 kg can stand on the pods to fish etc, no more water over the stern and planes / runs better too. I doubt you could sink it and the motor should stay on top, unless you invert the hull but thats just not clever!

Cheers
Chimo

finga
25-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Sell the hull and keep the trailer (if your happy with it) and keep the motor.
$500-700 will not get you much in the way of a 25hp motor and if it did people would wonder.....I wonder what's the go with that motor?
Any pictures?

PS: 4m might be a tad big as a car-topper I reckon.

kind_cir
25-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I could live with the trailer, but have to replace the springs and axle [up to $300 with a tidy up].

What do you all recon the hull could fetch ?

A new hull is going to cost me 2-2800 for a 4-4.2m

The hull would make a good crabbing boat with it's low sides. The sides are 660mm and the beam is 1.7m.

The engine is a tiller 30hp long shaft and is freakin awesome.

PADDLES
25-11-2012, 04:17 PM
i reckon try it on an ebay auction with a starting price at $750 or thereabouts and if it goes for around $1k you'd have to be happy but if it only fetches the $750 then so be it but at least it's gone and you've got some money to put towards you new one.